Wella red fading to blonde quickly - what now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robynbird

Reaction score
I have a client who I have been colouring red (55/65+66/56 with 6% and natural base 5/6) but the last few times when she comes in for her appointment her hair is quite blonde looking. Its just fading so quickly! Her hair wasnt coloured beforehand so its literally just the red that's doing this. The colour is also alot less vibrant when its first done than when I first started colouring it.
So I am thinking for her appointment this time I will either pre pig first or put mix tone into the end colour. What do people think would be the best course of action?
Thanks

Are you using welloxon?

Are you using post treatment anti oxi afterwards?

Is this only happening recently? And never done this before on your client with this colour? Could it be something she's doing or medication she's changed?

She may be damaging her hair with heat, or using cheap shampoo. It its less vibrant I'd suspect a porosity issue. You could pre pigment or gloss either one would help with fade out. What % developer are you using when refreshing the mids and ends?

Are you using welloxon?

Are you using post treatment anti oxi afterwards?
Yes I always use welloxon. But I dont use an anti oxi afterwards

Is this only happening recently? And never done this before on your client with this colour? Could it be something she's doing or medication she's changed?
Yes only the last few times and never on any other client. I am definatly going to ask her what shampoo shes using, that was my initial thought.

She may be damaging her hair with heat, or using cheap shampoo. It its less vibrant I'd suspect a porosity issue. You could pre pigment or gloss either one would help with fade out. What % developer are you using when refreshing the mids and ends?
I only use 6% because its koleston but am thinking could I use pastel toner on the ends (1:1 ratio)? What would you recommend to pre-pig with?

I'd switch to color touch for the mids and ends with 1.9%.

Her hair is becoming porose from repeated applications of permanent formula. Worst possible way to refresh reds. Try it and I can almost guarantee you won't have to prepig.

I'd switch to color touch for the mids and ends with 1.9%.

Her hair is becoming porose from repeated applications of permanent formula. Worst possible way to refresh reds. Try it and I can almost guarantee you won't have to prepig.
Ok I will give colour touch a go for the mid lengths and ends :) is it worth popping in some 0/56 mix tone into it for this time? Since they dont do 66/56 in CT I have 66/45 to mix with the 55/65, so thinking the mix tone will not only help with vibrancy and cutting the need for pre-pig and making it more like the original formula I use for the roots.

Ok I will give colour touch a go for the mid lengths and ends :) is it worth popping in some 0/56 mix tone into it for this time? Since they dont do 66/56 in CT I have 66/45 to mix with the 55/65, so thinking the mix tone will not only help with vibrancy and cutting the need for pre-pig and making it more like the original formula I use for the roots.

Sounds good.

I second what tsparker said, I've used 55/65 with 65 special mix KP on a friend. I'm not a wella user so was using it blindly, colour is a lovely magenta but faded so fast and the ends were looking really porous. Stopped doing the 'combing through to the ends for the last 20 method' , switched to CT and 1.9 , talked her into investing in Kerastase and it's heaps better!

Well your colour advice was spot on! Used KP on roots with 6% and CT with 1.9% on the ends and it was lovely! Really nice and vibrant again! Was going to take pics but totally forgot! Just going to wait and see how it fades now :) Thanks for the advice tsparker78 :)

Glad to be of help. It will still fade, but using a pro shampoo for color treated hair and avoiding warm/hot water will help also.

Latest posts

Back