Wella strate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyuk

Reaction score
Hi all im hoping to get a little info on the wella strate system.

My mum is wanting me to use this on her hair tomorrow, ive already bought the stuff and have done a strand test ( which is fine)

The problem im having is Im afraid to use this on her, has she had a few bleached highlights maybe 2-3 weeks ago, would it be safe enough to use ? the strand test was fine.

Secondly :- shes also wanting me to colour her hair a shade darker than she is maybe to a 7/0 and run some bleached highlights through her top box,would i need to give it a week or 2 after ive straightened it ? or will i not be able to colour it anyway ?

Please help me hair geeks, im supposed to be doing this tomorrow.

Im training at college at the moment im half way through my level3 so you can speak to me in hairdressing terms lol.

Thanks in advance :hug:

Hi Kellyuk, here is a bit of information from an older post that may help:hug:

I use Wella strate and there are two methods to use within the same box.

Wellla strate is put onto dry hair .

They make one for normal hair,
and one for hair that has colour on it,

The only contraindications are is that you cannot have this type of straightening treatment performed on bleached or bleached highlighted hair

This also means that if you have had any bleach on your hair in the past and then put colour over it to cover up the bleach
then your hair will not be suitable until all bleach is cut out .

If in doubt ask your hairdresser to perform some test pieces.
if she/he doesn't want to open a new box of Wella strate
she /he can use ordinary perm lotion in a dish and pop in the test piece for 20 -30 mins
this should give a fair indication of how the condition will be

hope this helps :hug: x minky

If she only has a tiny few and you could leave them till last but I would still be very wary.

If you have done some test pieces then its got to be up to your own professional judgment ,

but this would have to take into account what straightening method you are going to use.

What do the manufactures instructions say about highlighted hair ?

Have you got all the extra recommended things that go with the chosen method ?

Myself personally, I would not risk it at all on any of the bleached highlights within the hair .

Hope I don't sound too sketchy here,
it's just that it's a great straightening product for normal and mildly coloured hair ,

but it can cause a lot of damage on highlighted or bleached hair . hth x

Last edited:
thanks for replying minky, I am doing the hot iron way, ive got the wellastrate intense and the prep cream, i wouldnt say she has lots of bleached highlights just the odd few, I could do everywhere and then maybe the last few minutes go onto the bleached area ?

Im also worried because shes wanting it colouring badly. she has maybe 2-3 inch of root regrowth so it does need colouring, but i would be just going round in circles i couldnt straighten it after i colour ? im not sure what to do, i might just go for it, the strand test was fine, good elasicity and porosity, no metallic salts and such, so wish me luck ill try and post some before and after pictures :hug:

Hi Kellyuk , I know your mum wants lovely straight hair
but don't let it sway your professional judgment hun :hug:
your mum will be your walking advertisement for you

The hot iron method is a great straightening treatment
but there is a lot more processing going on within the hairs structure than the alternative method without the hot irons,

any damage may not be seen straight away but any breakage that may occur could be in weeks to follow.

Wella strate has the same properties as a perm,
but perhaps a bit stronger in its chemical make up.

As hairdressers we wouldn't perm over highly bleached or highlighted hair , as we know the condition would deteriorate.

Sorry for being negative again, but I am just pointing out the potential pitfalls.

If in any doubt at all you can phone the Wella Helpline on 0845-704-57775
good luck minky x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back