Wella toner advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_hannahbeth

Reaction score
Hey Geeks! I'm just after a bit of advice, I don't want any bitchiness or sarcy comments in the replies because at the end of the day I'm on here for advice, I am fully qualified up to level 3 in hair and have been working for myself for two years, done lots of private courses and have all the qualifications just so you know that :) basically my reasoning is... I'm really unsure on toners, I've not had much experience with them as I've never had to use them hardly so I basically want your advice on what toners are good for what, when to use them etc, etc. I'm trained with Wella and that's who I'm comfortable working with!

Thanks guys x

There are so many combinations you just have to be creative! Can you give some examples of scenarios where you might want to use them?!

10/1 with pastel is great over bleach to create a soft clean blonde
10/38 with pastel for a honey colour over bleach against a dark base.
10/96 or 10/16 with pastel for a platinum
Colour touch can also be lovely. X

There are so many combinations you just have to be creative! Can you give some examples of scenarios where you might want to use them?!

10/1 with pastel is great over bleach to create a soft clean blonde
10/38 with pastel for a honey colour over bleach against a dark base.
10/96 or 10/16 with pastel for a platinum
Colour touch can also be lovely. X

Thanks for the reply!! I know it's pretty hard to give advice when I don't have an example in mind, I just want to get a bit more info on them for when I do need to use them. I'm worried mostly about dark hair needing to be bleached and turning a yellow/orangey colour and then I'd be completely unsure on where to start with the toner! X

And pastel is the lowest peroxide isn't it? X

Think of your colour start, what ever is opposite In the star will counteract each other e.g If the hair is to orange then you use blue to counteract as blue is opposite orange, if the hair is to yellow you need violet as violet is opposite yellow, and so on you would use the level you have lifted the hair to so if it's lightest blonde then you would use 10/16 to kill yellow 1 being ash 6 being violet 10/8 would kill orange 10 being base/level 10 8 being blue hope that all makes sense. Do you remember Richard of York gave battle (in) vain? Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet draw your star write these colours in this order on every point of the start and use this when you need to use a toner I always revert back to it take 2 mins to draw! Koleston with pastel 1part tint 2parts pastel or colour touch with 1.9 1:2 you can use colour fresh, perfecton obvs every client is different get some hair wefts in dif shades of blonde and have a little play hope this has all helped and iv made sense lol x

Thank you so much that has helped me massively!! I have a bit of a better understanding now, I'm gonna buy some hair like you said and have a play!! Also writing my star as we speak!!!! xx

Always refer to the colour wheel - Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain that's how I learnt too ! Hehe.

Always refer to the colour wheel - Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain that's how I learnt too ! Hehe.

I'd never heard of that saying before but I'll definitely be keeping it in mind, I get so confused by toners and how to use them! X

Like he said go back to the basics depending if your trying to cancel out a color look at the color wheel. You can always mix two color to achieve the color you want. If you have a clean blonde even canvas then its pretty much easy to put on a color toner that you want and you get that color just really depends what your using the toner for. Just consult with your client to know what level they want to be at and how warm or cool they want to be. Always consult to be on the same page no suprises

So is 8/81 a great toner for combating yellow/ orange highlights on that basis?
Sorry still getting familiar with wella numbering!

So is 8/81 a great toner for combating yellow/ orange highlights on that basis?
Sorry still getting familiar with wella numbering!

8/81 would be used for toning a level 8 that has orange undertones. x

I love using toners. I find any bleached hair looks a bit raw if left untoned . I use both kp and ct depending on the condition of the hair.

9/01 mixed with 9/03 equal parts ct
10/6 mixed with 9/01 equal parts ct
10/36 illuminia
10/16 kp
9/38 kp

These are all really soft toners to put on bleached hair. Depending on what overall look you want depends on weather you go for the warmer or cooler tones.

People say mixing ash with warm contradicts but I think they really work well together.

Does anyone still use colour fresh or not? Xx

Yea I do sometimes but I find I have to give the rest of the bottle to my clients as it fades out so quickly.

Oh really? That's the only toner I was trained with so I'm unsure how to use the others, that's why I'm slightly apprehensive x

Colour fresh is good but not as strong as others. Colour touch Relights is great for toning x

So what do I do with colour touch delights? And is the colour (number) system the same? X

I'm sorry for all my questions I'm just trying to get my head around it all! Xx

I always recommend Colourfresh as a take-home option to my clients - especially blonds - to keep their hair looking fresh and to top up the toner.

Why don't you give Wella a call and go on one of their courses to familiarise yourself with their colours etc... I'm certain that it is free and only takes two hours. We did one or two in my last salon where they came to us but I'm sure they mentioned that you can go to the Wella studios. You would learn so much.

That's a good idea, I'll look into that! And in the meantime I might send the rest of the bottle if colour fresh home with the client to keep them and the colour happy xx

Latest posts

Back