Wella toning advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Me2807

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently completed my level 2 and I’m looking for some toning advice. My friend from college who has also completed her level 2 bleached my hair and toned with high lift 12/61 (as my tutor has taught us) but I’m too light and also quite patchy with orange.
My question is could I retone with 10/8 or 10/81 and will this time the colour done slightly or would it be better to use colour touch 10/81 all over to try and create more even colour?
I defintley need the /8 to tone out the orange.
My hair is ok condition but is quite porus through mid lengths and ends so also if anyone can recommend a good repair mask as Wella apparently doesn’t do a repair one anymore.
Many thanks

The orange bits you're talking about haven't been lifted enough. Toning with a base 10 won't neutralise orange. I'm surprised you were taught to tone with 12's, they have a much higher ammonia count than standard KP, which causes more damage, making hair more porous. As for repair, olaplex would definitely be your best bet, but you could also use tigi s factor serious treatment, that's really nice, or tigi red head Elasticate.

Wella do have repair masks, it's the orange one, or the fusion range. Then you also have repair I'm SP if you really want to Invest.

Like @ronray said, you cannot tone with a colour that is lighter than the hair. Look at your lightning curve... if you hair is orange it's only going to be a 7. So you need to either re lighten the hair, or tone with CT 7/89.

Hope this helps

The orange bits you're talking about haven't been lifted enough. Toning with a base 10 won't neutralise orange. I'm surprised you were taught to tone with 12's, they have a much higher ammonia count than standard KP, which causes more damage, making hair more porous. As for repair, olaplex would definitely be your best bet, but you could also use tigi s factor serious treatment, that's really nice, or tigi red head Elasticate.
Thank you so much, after reading and lots of research I’m also surprised now that toning with 12/ is not good! Thank you again

I will only tone with a 12 if I need a really strong tone like for a lilac or pastel blue. But I don't recommend it when your just starting out, and it does ruin the hair!

It’s high ammonia they are designed to lift, toning is too deposit - quite bad advice from your tutor - you can book Wella courses to go on all over the country to get the correct advise

Hi...guys. Can you recommend a ash/grey wella toner please. My client wants to look grey. Thank you

Hi...guys. Can you recommend a ash/grey wella toner please. My client wants to look grey. Thank you
CT 1part 9/16 +2parts 8/81 + 1.9 %

Latest posts

Back