West highland terrier puppy, breeders?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
Bit of a long shot here but was wondering if any of you know of any west highland terrier breeders?
My dad has finally decided that it is time his home is blessed with a dog again and he wants a westie for him, my mum and my twins.
Finding it really hard to find someone in the north east that breeds them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :hug:

cant help with breeders but there is a dogs home called many tears, google it and you'll get their web sight, well they take on a lot of ex breeders dogs and bitches and a lot of them are westies, usual age is about 4 or 5 years old some of them have never walked on a lead or lived in a home so need a lot of work but others have obviously been in a home environment before. The web site is updated daily and the donation includes vaccinations etc and is a lot less then the £400+ that breeders want. Anyway all the dogs are listed on the site so it costs nothing to look.

Thanks hun but i just posted my thread and did another search and found one.
The lady has one bitch left which is what we are after and we are going to see her tomorrow! :green:
Will have to take pics to show you cos she'll be lush.

Check out the kennel club web site, they list registered breeders there. Soory I'm useless at lings just google 'kennel club'

On another note, I have one of these monsters and she is very hard work, known on here as HRH

We love her to bits though, full of character, but be warned , you'll have your hands full.:eek::eek::eek:

Hi
I used to live in newcastle and bought a westie from consett . The breader was very nice when we got there clean house etc .The dog were supposed to be kennel club but now i dont know if they were . I got our dog and it died the first week then had to fight to replace for another one . The dog died of parvo. When i took the second one to the vets for a skin problem they told us the dog was younger than they said. I dont wish to scare you but be aware .This family was on the news a while ago and they are still breading, dont get me wrong she is a lovely dog but they are very strong minded and i know a few people who has them and they bark at the tv and on the go 24/7. Like i say all dogs are different so maybe your's will be okay ,nice and quite . Ask as many question as poss and dont be put off to ask because the pups look like white fluff. (you dont want to pick any you want them all)
good luck
Nicholl
( if you need any info on the breeder where we got ours from email me because i dont want anyone alse getting a dog from them. )

Thank for all of your advice.
We went to see the puppy and she is lovely BUT the owner was very stange.
We saw the parents BUT we didn't see their papers, she said she had them but not handy and the pup is 10 weeks old and she only sent of to register her with KC last week!
Anyway we will be getting her IF she gets the papers by friday, if not then we probably won't.
I have contacted the kennel club but will only be able to find out if the pup has been registered if i can give the name of the dam but she didn't give us that info.
Anyway we will wait and see what happens :irked:

They list breeders all over the UK on Champdogs, click here for the website.

hth's

I have a Westie and she's a darling,yes she can be a bit of a barker at times but she is also the lovliest temperament,loves other dogs and friendly to everyone.She just feels like she has to look after the garden and that's when she barks,i.e if a bird dares to land on a tree or if a frog happens to step on her patch.Mind you the frog jumped towards her and she nearly had a heart attack trying to scramble away then fell over herself in shock:lol:

She isn't yappy in the house at all though,unless someone knocks on the door(which I want anyway)She does growl at the TV also if there's an animal of any kind on it,which we tell her off for and then she shuts up:green:I think she just thinks it's going to step on her patch,lol.

We have another dog as well,collie cross and they play together and get on wonderfully.
Westies are strong minded though that's for sure,they certainly can suffer with selective hearing which drives me mad and their bark can be very shrill.I love them both to pieces though and not all dogs are alike so yours may be a totally different animal.

They can suffer with a skin condition,which the vets told me about,so it's advised to get them insured.Mine hasn't had it yet though thank goodness,oh and they can be prone to a condition called 'dry eye',again this is something to do with the breed and again,Bonnie hasn't had this so I'm thankful.I just remember the vet telling me about these 2 conditions.HTH and enjoy your pooch.:hug:

Westie Rescue Scheme
Sandra Fowler, Yorkshire & Derbyshire, Tel: 01302 883335
Ted Hill, Yorkshire & Derbyshire. Tel: 01302 725525
Sue Waterman, Hampshire & Dorset. Tel: 01489 573759
Anna Flint, Surrey & Sussex. Tel: 01323 763260
Dave & Jane Johnson, Derbyshire. Tel: 01332 832180
Sue Steggall, Devon & Cornwall, Tel: 01395 279212
Caron Tucker, Cleveland & Northumberland. Tel: 01642 896539
Daphne Lee, Kent. Tel: 01304 365573
Dorothy & Georgina Peacock, Somerset & Avon. Tel: 01749 870370
Email: [email protected]

Heres a list of contacts for dogs in rescue centres

Thanks all :green:
All your info is greatly apprieciated.
I have been in contact with the kennel club and they are running 14 days behind with registrations so i am going to contact them again on friday, we're due to collect puppy on saturday.
Anyway they have been very helpfull and hopefully she is all above board and the puppy will be ours.
Feel like i can't trust her word because of her attitude that's all and i suppose it's best we know for sure before handing the money over.
Fingers crossed eh.

ღMandyღ;641530 said:
Anyway we will be getting her IF she gets the papers by friday, if not then we probably won't.
I have contacted the kennel club but will only be able to find out if the pup has been registered if i can give the name of the dam but she didn't give us that info.
Phone her and ask her the name, if she's not helpful or forthcoming with the name then I'd definitely be questioning her motives and also whether she's sent the registration in the first place.

Hope it works out how you want it to :hug:

Phone her and ask her the name, if she's not helpful or forthcoming with the name then I'd definitely be questioning her motives and also whether she's sent the registration in the first place.

I do hope that she is just a bit antisocial and that she is not a con artist!
Yes i am going to try and get hold of her tonight.
My cat is pedigree and we didn't have all this trouble getting him, everything was ready for us and the lady was lovely.
Thanks for your advice.

Absolutely,you have to go with your gut if you can't get any proof

Try the kennel club they have names and addresses of reputable breeders, I used them to get my welsh terrier.

There are zillions of west highland terriers in Fife which is only 2 hours from Newcastle so maybe there is a breeder around here. I will have a look.

I too have a westie boy. He is 2 yrs old now, and I adore him.

I have had him since he was about 10 weeks old. He is very intelligent and very inquisitive, and I wouldn't be without him for a minute

He is very very nosey, and is as happy as Larry when he is sitting in the window. He watches everyone and everything.
He is a good watch dog, and can sometimes be yappy when the postman comes, but he wouldnt hurt a fly.

He is very gentle in his nature, and very obedient. He is fantastic with the kids. We have a rabbit as well and he gets on really well with her. He licks her eyes and she just sits there and lets him!!!

I prob wouldn't be so lucky though next time. They are all different in character.
Wonderful little dogs.

Good luck in your search. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

UPDATE.
Ok so i just haven't felt right about this whole puppy thing so we spoke to another breeder who shows her dogs and knows a lot of people and it turns out that this woman who we were gonna get the puppy off just breeds the life out of her dogs so we won't be getting this pup.
Was given a number for another breeder, phoned her and she was lovely.
Told me the pups parents pedigree and i was well impressed, she has 2 bitches and she is keeping the best to show but we can have the other one which is fine cos she is just going to be one of the family and her pedigree is just great anyway.
Finger crossed for me now. We will be going to York to see her and it's down to me to decide.
Can't wait. I wanna see all you Westies!!!!

I'm glad you've got it all sorted, I'm sure you have done the right thing.

Good luck with your new ball of fluff and don't forget to post some pics, they are so cute as babies.:)

I'm glad you've got it all sorted, I'm sure you have done the right thing.

Good luck with your new ball of fluff and don't forget to post some pics, they are so cute as babies.:)
Thanks hun.
This one feels right :green:
Will take lots of pics when we go to see her.

Hi all!

Just wanted to pop in and let you all know that we have a new addition to the family. Molly!
She is just turned 8 weeks and just the cutes little thing ever!
She has a good pedigree and was glad we kept looking.

Latest posts

Back