Wet cotton wool!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Yesterday at work,during my lunch break I was reading this months "Guild"mag,there was an article in it about bacterias etc and one bit said that we should only wet our cotton wool just before using it because of bacteria building up.:eek:

I am astounded,I have always wet my cotton wool circles as and when needed,i.e first thing in the morning usually.Its part of the setting up/getting organised and I was taught this at college.As a rule I get about 10 cotton wool circles then wet,drain excess water and place in bowl ready for use.I have never wet them one at a time,which in theory is what we should do.Going to have to change that habit now.

Just wondered if anyone else knew that this is NOT the done thing and causes bacteria to build up??

Oh for goodness sake is it ever going to end:irked:

Have to say when ever I use cotton wool pads & wet them I do so just before I use them!! But when training it was the norm to just get everything ready before hand.

I haven't heard this one either, but I do wet my cotton wool just before I need to use it.

I wonder who it is that thinks of all these different ways we can contaminate people and with what.Bacteria builds up on everything but what bacteria could possibly be on cottonwool in the first place that could cause any great problems to someone.Are we really that fragile as human beings that we cant fight some bacteria from a bit of wet cotton wool.
Im sure a lot of it is scaremongering from the people that make and sell all the stuff we have to use to clean and sterilise.
You watch next thing will be sterile packs of individually wrapped damp cotton wool.

I wonder who it is that thinks of all these different ways we can contaminate people and with what.Bacteria builds up on everything but what bacteria could possibly be on cottonwool in the first place that could cause any great problems to someone.Are we really that fragile as human beings that we cant fight some bacteria from a bit of wet cotton wool.
Im sure a lot of it is scaremongering from the people that make and sell all the stuff we have to use to clean and sterilise.
You watch next thing will be sterile packs of individually wrapped damp cotton wool.
100% agree,where will it end?therapists have been wetting their cotton wool for donkeys years,me for one.:eek:

I had my first beauty day at college and the teacher wet all her pads and then told us too.I think i will be still doing this as its been done for years with no problem.I agree though i bet they bring out sterile packs of dampend pads! x

you could always fill a pump dispenser with water and use that if there is no water to hand. I always dampen my pads as i need them as my water cooler is next to me, so i use nice cool pads!

Just wondered if anyone else knew that this is NOT the done thing and causes bacteria to build up??

I always wet them before I carry out a treatment but that is because I don't carry out treatments requiring wet cotton pads for each client. If I had a busy day where I required a lot of wet cotton wool pads, then I would definitely prepare them first, like yourself :hug:

Gill I have to agree with you. As long as we use common sense then we should be OK. I think sometimes we are "brainwashed" into believing some things. If we go back years, there wasn't as many rules and regulations in the world.

When I was a little girl, then I always washed my face with soap, water and a flannel and it was lovely and clear - as adults we are told that we should use the correct lotions and potions for our skin type - to keep us looking youthful and the skin lovely and supple. However, some people may be allergic to some of the ingredients within the lotions such as Paraben!

Personally, I know that I have sometimes carried out a treatment "by the book" and not got the best results. I then have carried out a similar treatment varying it to my clients needs and had a far better result.

So IMHO as long as we meet our insurance conditions and look at our routines and clients needs and not putting clients in a position of danger or risk of infection, then we can't go far wrong :green: and
I wouldn't worry too much :hug:

Latest posts

Back