What’s Next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy Lee

Reaction score
I’ve been a Master Stylist for 47 years. Now a salon owner/stylist. The problem is not, do I keep up with the newest trends, or stay up to date. I’m still very busy behind the chair. However I’m looking at 50 years approaching. I love what I do, always have so my question is what’s next? How can I stay in the business but not work so hard behind the chair?

Attachments

• 087A4F9C-0204-420F-BBCC-B369A5DA8215.png
    087A4F9C-0204-420F-BBCC-B369A5DA8215.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 22
  • DD27B87E-BF5E-41B6-9D06-FEAE49DF1082.jpeg
    DD27B87E-BF5E-41B6-9D06-FEAE49DF1082.jpeg
    668.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 152A0825-81F6-4806-AD8D-9742EDAFD326.jpeg
    152A0825-81F6-4806-AD8D-9742EDAFD326.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 24
With so much experience at a high level, I would suggest that your way forward is to really increase your prices so you earn the same while working less hours. Yes, you might loose a few clients but on balance you'll be financially ok with less hours behind the chair.

Work smarter not harder you could look at using someone like Maddy cook pricing coach , she will help you charge your worth , this way you will be charging more per service, and eases the work load slightly. Don't fret if you loose a few clients as this opens up space for those who are willing to pay that bit more.
Do you have members of staff? If you want to ease your work load, then you could send a member of your team on a new training course. This will continue to bring revenue into the salon, potentially attract new clientele but means that you're not adding to your work load.
Contact your colour house and see what new courses they have , see what new products they have, and advertise all these exciting things. Your clients love to see stuff like this, it makes them feel like they're money is well invested. Even if these things don't cost you anything, they don't know that.

Wow op with all that experience why not teach one day and work in salon behind the chair one or 2 days a week
With so much experience at a high level, I would suggest that your way forward is to really increase your prices so you earn the same while working less hours. Yes, you might loose a few clients but on balance you'll be financially ok with less hours behind the chair.

Last edited:
I’ve been a Master Stylist for 47 years. Now a salon owner/stylist. The problem is not, do I keep up with the newest trends, or stay up to date. I’m still very busy behind the chair. However I’m looking at 50 years approaching. I love what I do, always have so my question is what’s next? How can I stay in the business but not work so hard behind the chair?
Thank you so much for answering. That’s my problem. I haven’t gone up in years. Other stylist have preached that to me for a long time. I hate making clients mad. I need to look at it as I’m the one losing, again thank you

Work smarter not harder you could look at using someone like Maddy cook pricing coach , she will help you charge your worth , this way you will be charging more per service, and eases the work load slightly. Don't fret if you loose a few clients as this opens up space for those who are willing to pay that bit more.
Do you have members of staff? If you want to ease your work load, then you could send a member of your team on a new training course. This will continue to bring revenue into the salon, potentially attract new clientele but means that you're not adding to your work load.
Contact your colour house and see what new courses they have , see what new products they have, and advertise all these exciting things. Your clients love to see stuff like this, it makes them feel like they're money is well invested. Even if these things don't cost you anything, they don't know that.
I have a small
Salon with 3 other stylist that say they can’t pay any more than 125.00 a week. My booth rent I feel is low compared to other salons. My biggest issue I feel is I haven’t gone up on prices in years. I hate making clients mad but I’m the one losing. So many say I only have this much or i refuse to pay anymore, I can’t afford it.
Thank you for replying back, I need to work on my prices.

You sound like you are the bread winner in your salon and it is such an easy trap to fall into. Ive done the same. If you weren’t there doing your clients there’s be no money in the salon. You need one or two employed staff to work with you that you can trust of course and build your clients relationship with those staff, get them to do their blowdrys, or you cut and they colour, divide your work so you are not doing all the work all the time. That way it filters off some clients and builds their trust in other staff members so clients doesn’t go elsewhere. Clients who have been your regular for years don’t like change but they’ve got to understand that it becomes a lot managing a salon and running a full column every day.
my old boss worked that way until he passed in the salon to his 2 trusted employees when he retired. He only ever cut and did the odd blow dry. Worked well. Kept the majority of the clientele coming in when he left and he still took a cut in his retirement.

You sound like you are the bread winner in your salon and it is such an easy trap to fall into. Ive done the same. If you weren’t there doing your clients there’s be no money in the salon. You need one or two employed staff to work with you that you can trust of course and build your clients relationship with those staff, get them to do their blowdrys, or you cut and they colour, divide your work so you are not doing all the work all the time. That way it filters off some clients and builds their trust in other staff members so clients doesn’t go elsewhere. Clients who have been your regular for years don’t like change but they’ve got to understand that it becomes a lot managing a salon and running a full column every day.
my old boss worked that way until he passed in the salon to his 2 trusted employees when he retired. He only ever cut and did the odd blow dry. Worked well. Kept the majority of the clientele coming in when he left and he still took a cut in his retirement.
Thank you for your well noted advise. You hit the nail on the head. Everything you said was spot on. I’m just at the point I don’t want all this responsibility. Still
Love what I do but it’s just to much at this point in my life.
Again thank you

Latest posts

Back