What a nerve?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shal I believe her?

• Yes

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No

Votes: 79 83.2%
  • I don't know or comments

Votes: 13 13.7%

• Total voters

ris

Reaction score
There was a thread here
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/137057-cant-stand-fuss-created-acrylic-nail-clients.html
about people making fuss…
What I’m going to write about is very similar to this: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/137057-cant-stand-fuss-created-acrylic-nail-clients.html#post1203176
I'm sorry, it's a bit long but I didn't want to leave out details.

I recently did a set of nails on a model (alias guinea-pig )) ), or whatever you choose to call people who let them practice something on their nails.
The agreement is that the model pays just the cost of materials.
I offer the design, length, shape (although if I want to do very long nails I ask if people agree and I usually discuss before hand what it is I’m gonna do).
Since the person in question is a model it’s understood that she cannot complain like a client. Although I do it under the condition that I get feed-back on how the nails are doing and in case there’s some problem I look at it and fix it.

So this model is a medical student but she can have nails – not very long. She says she used to be a ‘guinea-pig’ in a salon so she knows what it’s about.
I tell her I will give a short set of gels and a floral French in warm, not bright, shades. When she comes I see that the design I’ve chosen will match perfectly with her style. And she is very pleased herself. During the application it turns out she is actually quite interested in the nails and cosmetic industry and considered switching.
These are the nails:
modsg.jpg

I also ask a model to wear the nails for three weeks after which I promise to take them down if she doesn’t choose want to wear them further. During this time and in case somebody is interested in the nails she offers my card.

In a week she writes me this:
The nails are bad – the design has rubbed off in some places and there’s lifting and air “pockets”. I’m afraid the nails will become unwearable in a few days – I didn’t think they’d hardly last a week! Something should be figured out about them!

The tone of the message is rather strange (she’s not a client – it’s not up to her to think but ok)
I write back:
Please, take pics of problems arrears and send them to me (when she applied to be a model she sent me pics of natural nails so that shouldn’t be a problem).

Her answer:
I will try but you must understand that the lifting won’t show because I don’t have very fine camera (a-ha! you wish..)

It takes 2 days for her to answer.In between I call her on the phone and repeat my request. I have to press her.
She is fussing and repeats that a nail or more (don’t remember already) are practically falling off and there’s air underneath.
Dialogue in short:

- Did you pick them? - No. no, why sould I. - Then how do you there is air underneath? - Because I just know! It’s visible. - Ok, send me the pics. Don’t worry about what I will see or not.

At last she sends me the pics writing that her camera didn’t catch the lifting. And that she can show me the nails personally.

Pic1
darina2.jpg

Yes, the design is rubbed off on one finger. I think I know the problem – I have new bulbs that sometimes go dead (bad fit) and I check them from time to time and also ask people to tell me if they see the bulb is dark.

Pic2
darina3.jpg

Does she think I’m dumb? What does she want to show with this pic? There were clear spaces between flowers from the very beginning. Some tiny dots they may have been there from the beginning – I’m sure they don’t show at all only against the light. Besides we used a uv-sealant so the design cannot just rub off, And I see in the 3 pic that it looks just like it did on the very first day.

Yes, and the 3 pic.
darina4.jpg

Can you see any lifting or even a hint? I see that the nails grow fast (she mentioned that) but I can’t see anything at all that points to lifting – on the contrary. I’m quite pleased with how the material adheres given the fatc that it was a new brand and I had only apllied it once before.
Maybe she took a pic of the wrong hand? ;)
Anyway, everything that I see doesn’t AT ALL match the description in her message nor does it warrant the manner in which she wrote and spoke to me!

I write to her when she is free so that I can fit her and see “the rest” that her camera didn’t catch myself.

She writes back that she will write me later.

Later she writes this:
So, we should meet as soon and possible! I’ve got a situation here. Thee nails have pinged off during this day – I’ve just taken them off without any effort I think we should meet tomorrow (Sunday) because I cannot wear them like this.

I write back: Ok. Come in the morning – I will be waiting.
The morning comes. I’m waiting. The model doesn’t come. I give her a call. She says she hasn’t yet seen my message.(Excuse me! If the situation that awful I would have checked and re-checked the mail, I would have called! - I keep that to myself)
I tell her that she can still come round as I don’t have any plans. I don’t remember exactly what she answered –we agreed that she could come in the afternoon. In 2 hours she calls me and says this:

I don’t think we should meet. I’ve taken off some other nails, they didn’t stay on so I’ve taken the rest of them down myself. (What a nerve!) Ok. Just send me the pic of your nails again. She is not very willing but she agrees and says she will do it a bit later.
In about two hours I get the pics….

darina1.jpg

darinac.jpg

Tear-marks… The material is neatly filed down – there traces of it closer to the tips. I can even see the thin borderlines left where the material ended saying one clear thing – it didn’t lift!
I also cannot see a single nail-plate that looks as if the artificial nail had really pinged off it leaving it clear and as good as new. Can you?

What would YOU make of all of this…
Perhaps there’s something I don’t see here?

I just wrote back before it changed to a poll..

She chose to be a model, she agreed to your terms and didn't stick by them, I'd do nothing else for her and be grateful that she ripped them off rather than you having to waste your valuable time on her again.

The work on those nails was lovely and still perfect in all her pics, I didn't see a single bit of lifting in those pics - what a complete time waster this girl seems.

To me, she seems like a bit of a moaner, I know she is supposed to give you feedback but constructive feedback would have been nice! And like you say, if she was really that bothered about it surely she would have come in sooner to sort it out? Or at least answered your phone calls/e-mails? Also def on her little finger there does look like there is a tear mark.

Sorry I can't be much help. Them nails are beautiful by the way, gorgeous design. I love them. xx

I didn't see a single bit of lifting in those pics - what a complete time waster this girl seems.

Me neither.
Add to this the guilt I felt (I am more or less sure about myself now but still that manner, the assurance...) before I saw the pics.

And she seemed such a nice personality, educated, polished... Studying to be a doctor. How can a person be such a fake!...:rolleyes:

I thought there was, maybe, somthing I didn't see because I am a side to this argument
Thank you very much for feedback.

PS) I now think maybe she had to go back to her studies and for some reason couldn't have nails any longer - but why run the work down like this, why make me feel so bad about myself??...
Just beats me...

Me neither.
Add to this the guilt I felt (I am more or less sure about myself now but still that manner, the assurance...) before I saw the pics.

And she seemed such a nice personality, educated, polished... Studying to be a doctor. How can a person be such a fake!...:rolleyes:

I thought there was, maybe, somthing I didn't see because I am a side to this argument
Thank you very much for feedback.

PS) I now think maybe she had to go back to her studies and for some reason couldn't have nails any longer - but why run the work down like this, why make me feel so bad about myself??...
Just beats me...
With work that looks like your's does, you've nothing to feel bad about :)

What you've got from this girl is a learning experience - not only about applying nails with your new product, but how to deal with a difficult client. This will give you confidence in the future to believe that you know what you're doing and that you understand your work. It would probably be the best idea not to have anything to do with her again, because she isn't worth your time.

Gorgeous nails, what a miserable cow. I would have been over the moon with those - what is wrong with her? Don't let it get to you - I know for a fact that there are very few nail techs who could do such a gorgeous design (me included). :hug: :hug: :hug:

They looked stunning...she probably wanted them for the weekend or a special do & knew she wouldn't get away with them for work.
Even medical students may do day release at a hospital.

How did you do the designs on the free edge they looked fabulous?

It looks like you did a stunning job. I wouldn't worry about what this lady says, she obviously hasn't a clue what she's talking about... and has absolutely no right to talk to you like that! Models are usually full of gratitude, but in this case, she obviously doesn't appreciate what a great service she's getting - you're better off without! :hug:

I agree I think she wanted them for a special occasion. Clients can be really mean, just put it down to experience, you did a fantastic job! I too would like to know how to do these. Do us a tutorial? :D please x

Gosh what a moany one had there! Your nails were beautiful and what she claimed (from what I can see) is rubbish. Thank god shes not a proper client and just a model, dont use her again xx

Also voted with a big fat NO :) xx

Your work was BEAUTIFUL! There is absolutely nothing wrong with your work. I think you just had a bad model. I agree with the posts above, just be thankful she ripped them off and you didn't have to do the removal work. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

her loss is our gain, tutorial please!!!

oh and I think she is one of those people that cant give correct feedback. I have a sheet I give models to complete for feedback, I have found its the only way to get what i need from a model.

tigi

this is why i dont do model sets any more ...i used to offer them free if i was changing brand etc.. but i just had a bunch of people treat em rubbish and take me for a fool , i leanrt my lesson !
now if i want a model i will say they are $25 instead of $40 so at least they are paying a decent amount and they dont just see them as a freeby what they can rip off etc..
the nails looked gorgeous you are very talented x

I have looked really carefully at these pictures and can see what 'may be' signs of and air pockets or two and 'perhaps' some lifting. Please note that I have said 'may be' and 'perhaps' only by what I can obvserve in the pictures 1 and 2, which I agree are not great quality. So it is possible that she was telling the truth, but she really should have returned to see you immediately for you to look at them for yourself.

I would hilight the areas but don't know how to do it on somebody elses picture. Not computer savvy I'm afraid.

The picture you took of your finished nails is lovely and I love the floral French. Can't imagine why a medical student would want to wear nails like this though. Perhaps she was on leave.

I have created a contract (for want of a better expression) for guinea pig treatments. It states that the client is aware of and accepts the fact that they are not paying for the treatment, just the materials and that as such there is no comeback, other than their statutory rights. It also states that at no time shall the client discuss any grievances with anyone other than me and that any and all homecare advice must be followed.
They are also issued with a feedback form which, if completed at the specified times, will entitle them to a treatment in the future.

In my experience, such as it is, it is always such clients who are the most troublesome, so I've gone to the bother of formalising it as much as is possible.

I have looked really carefully at these pictures and can see what 'may be' signs of and air pockets or two and 'perhaps' some lifting. Please note that I have said 'may be' and 'perhaps' only by what I can obvserve in the pictures 1 and 2, which I agree are not great quality. So it is possible that she was telling the truth, but she really should have returned to see you immediately for you to look at them for yourself.
I would hilight the areas but don't know how to do it on somebody elses picture. Not computer savvy I'm afraid.

I've thought and re-thought it over, looked for signs and reasons - yes the thumb is a problem - apart from that - it's clear gel in pic 2 looking like this against the light... I believe the same areas have drawn my attention too. But there's the pic 3

Mind, that she would not come to show it to me in person as she said she would - she changed her mind which seems very strange to me - why? I offer to take the nails down for free.

And from what she claimed it looked much-much worse...
It is not for nothing that I quoted my first post this one
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/...created-acrylic-nail-clients.html#post1203176
where a person also piles it over on me on the phone and when she comes I see there's nothing to complain about apart from the fact that SHE hadn't treated the nails the way she should have, hadn't oiled them and filed the sealer coat!

I don't know what it has to do with but there is a clear sort of people here who seem to do this on purpose. Do they perhaps want to dent your confidence...
It's always so that such clients know something about the nails and the industry in general. I'm not paranoind )))) - I have a few facts now. :cool:

Last edited:
PS)
Yes, to those who asked - this design is nailart (painted).
And they call it chinese style here - it's a technique with a flat brush when you dip one tip in one colour and the other corner of the briush in the other colour and paint double-coloured petal etc. There's a lot about this technique on the web incl. videos.

Think I may do one more tutorial only have to find some time. :)

this is why i dont do model sets any more ...i used to offer them free if i was changing brand etc.. but i just had a bunch of people treat em rubbish and take me for a fool , i leanrt my lesson !
now if i want a model i will say they are $25 instead of $40 so at least they are paying a decent amount and they dont just see them as a freeby what they can rip off etc..
the nails looked gorgeous you are very talented x

Thank you.
I think I'm learning to treat people individually - be a bit of a psychologist.
And be firm especially with those who come with an attitude...

Latest posts

Back