What a shocker!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmad

Reaction score
Talking to my friend the other day she mentioned that in a town nearby a few nail salons have opened in recent months.

In checking out my close competition so to speak I went for a look today and was shocked at what I saw. One salon was empty and a lone hairdresser at work in the corner. 4 nail stations sitting there looking me with nothing to do.
There was a nails only salon next door which explained a lot which was relatively busy with chinese men and women doing the business with one or two clients. The third place was just around the corner within a hairdressers again with 2 chinese men with masks on in jeans and t shirts using what I can only describe as a nail sander whizzing about at maximum speed. I was horrified!!! Both shops where there was activity were doing acrylic extensions from £20!!!! The nail art on show was fuzzy and really poor quality.

(Outside of this particular town in the nearby area and near me, £40 is the least you would expect to pay for some poorly applied gel nails with a french finish.)

I do hope this type of 'service' doesn't take off other wise my future is doomed!!

What do you all think? Are these sanding machines taking over to give quick blending times and so extensions at knock down prices?

Em

hi i dont know much about the efiles taking off, but you should come to my town, it is tiny and consists of about 12 charity shops, 15pubs, and about 18 hair/beauty/nail salons , on one street alone there are 3 next door to each other, hence why i dont open a shop in my town lol , i dont know how they make it work, but things must be getting bad coz they are throwing offers out , oh well at least i dont have their overheads (or the clients lol)

emmad said:
Talking to my friend the other day she mentioned that in a town nearby a few nail salons have opened in recent months.

In checking out my close competition so to speak I went for a look today and was shocked at what I saw. One salon was empty and a lone hairdresser at work in the corner. 4 nail stations sitting there looking me with nothing to do.
There was a nails only salon next door which explained a lot which was relatively busy with chinese men and women doing the business with one or two clients. The third place was just around the corner within a hairdressers again with 2 chinese men with masks on in jeans and t shirts using what I can only describe as a nail sander whizzing about at maximum speed. I was horrified!!! Both shops where there was activity were doing acrylic extensions from £20!!!! The nail art on show was fuzzy and really poor quality.

(Outside of this particular town in the nearby area and near me, £40 is the least you would expect to pay for some poorly applied gel nails with a french finish.)
I do hope this type of 'service' doesn't take off other wise my future is doomed!!
What do you all think? Are these sanding machines taking over to give quick blending times and so extensions at knock down prices? Em
Dear Emmad - I would use the search engine on the site to look up the word NSS and you will come across some great posts that I am sure will help you!! Take heart!:D

Hi, i know exactly what you mean! It's like that round my area as well. Nearly all of the places are using the electric drills and are charging the cheap prices of £20-25. It is like they're running on a ship-in ship-out sort of business, to get as many as they can done in a day. It seems that the money has become the most important thing rather than the clients well-being! I only charge higher than what they do because i spend more time on clients, but i feel better knowing that i've done the job as best as i can and given the client nothing other than 100%. I have spoken to a number of people who have had their nails done and they have been ruined by excessive drilling/filing. I even had one who had the cheek to come to me afterwards to see if i could fix them, and expected me to do it as a favour! FOR FREE! Can you believe it:!: I know that not all places do this of course, but more and more people are seeing the money to be made in Nail Technology and are deciding to come along for the ride but doing it badly! :evil: This will end up giving other good Techs a bad name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back