What a short lived beauty career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_janie

Reaction score
I’m so frustrated. I started in beauty a year ago, after an accident at work which has left damage to my back. I got my head down, and passed my level 2 NVQ. Still only receiving less than minimum wage because my boss was sneaky (I was on £60 a week).

I went on to study for my level 3 NVQ and all was going well until I had an episode with my back last week. I am in so much pain and instead of helping me or catering for me, I lost my job. I know that in normal situations this would be classed as disability discrimination but of course, because I’m neither technically employed nor self-employed, it doesn't.

That is frustrating enough, but my boss got onto to woman I am doing me level 3 NVQ with and basically told her I quit, didn’t give her any reasoning or tell her the problems I was having, didn’t sympathise or try to help.

I then get a phone call from the woman I’m doing my course with, basically telling me I’m off the course. I understand that as it is a government funded course and she would only get the money owed from the government, once I complete my course if she supplies them with evidence that I am working in a salon. Of course I understand that, what I don’t understand is the complete lack of help offered to me by either person.

Why can’t my old boss just sign the contract? Why can’t they explain it to the people giving them the funding and let me do it the JSA route instead? I didn’t appreciate either of them saying ‘well why can’t you just do it this way?’ or ‘I don’t understand why you’re quitting four weeks before completing your course.’ If I had the choice I’d grit my teeth and bare it but the pain is so extreme, I have trouble getting out of bed in the mornings.

This is just a rant, and I am sorry for burdening anyone reading this with it, I’m just frustrated that I am not in a position where people are willing to help me. Beauty is a passion of mine and for people to decide for you ‘well that is that then.’ It is one of the most heart breaking things ever.

I know I still have my level 2 NVQ so all is not lost, but I am always one to try bettering myself. I’m so frustrated that people look at this as if it is my own fault, like I asked for this to happen to me so I can’t get on and do something I truly love.

I feel like crying, I suppose I better start applying for a call centre roll.

Didn't want to read and run.

I think you need some proper legal advise or even citizens advise, Principal of the collage you attended? Have you been to the doctors?

You DO have rights. I'm just not sure what.

Someone will probably be along in a minute who knows more about these things.

Lilian x

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I'd be off to the citizens advice bureau first thing Tuesday. I'm sure something can be done about this, just don't know what. I feel for you and your back. I've had back problems to where you can't walk or sit for weeks, just lie horizontal. Hope you manage to sort it all out.

U should get some advice even if they do say there is nothing you can do which im sure that they wont as this doesnt seem legal at all it will at least give you peace of mind

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Thank you all for your kind words, I'm just sitting here stumped. I will take your advice and give citizens advice a call. It wasn't a proper college, but one of these in salon ones. Its so frustrating because I was up to date with all of my work, I only had pre-blended, hot stones, spray tan and creme tan to go!

because I’m neither technically employed nor self-employed

Sorry hun but who told you this? You were being paid right? This means that you are a worker of some form and you do have some rights. Contracts can be verbal and implied as well as written. Have you had a payslip or wage packet with your pay? Try and find them and show them to your advisor. Do you know if your employer has been paying your tax and NI?

The best thing you can do is get in touch with ACAS (Advisory, Concilliation and Arbirtration Service) here is the webpage with telephone number: Contact ACAS

Good luck with this, please don't let it go, you shouldn't be poorly treated over a medical condition. Although I must admit if you have previously had severe back problems I would have advised you against going into beauty in the first place. Maybe need to think about how you are working to preserve your back and have regular back care with a health practitioner (physio, chiro etc)

Let us know how you get on hun
Air x

Sorry hun but who told you this? You were being paid right? This means that you are a worker of some form and you do have some rights. Contracts can be verbal and implied as well as written. Have you had a payslip or wage packet with your pay? Try and find them and show them to your advisor. Do you know if your employer has been paying your tax and NI?

The best thing you can do is get in touch with ACAS (Advisory, Concilliation and Arbirtration Service) here is the webpage with telephone number: Contact ACAS

Good luck with this, please don't let it go, you shouldn't be poorly treated over a medical condition. Although I must admit if you have previously had severe back problems I would have advised you against going into beauty in the first place. Maybe need to think about how you are working to preserve your back and have regular back care with a health practitioner (physio, chiro etc)

Let us know how you get on hun
Air x

My boss told me. She said because I was earning under minimum wage, therefore was not earning enough to pay tax, there was no point in registering as self employed. I have no idea if she was or not. If so I have no idea how she got my numbers as I never gave them to her. She never asked me for any form of ID nor to sign anything. I was just kind of there.

I think in the future I'll just do it on the side, to make extra money and get an alternative job. It's so frustrating because up until talking to you kind people, I had no idea the way in which I was being treated was wrong. That was the first salon I have ever worked in and to be honest, I feel exploited. Live and learn!

Oh good god! What is wrong with people?! (i'm referring to your boss and this woman)

First of all she is paying you an hourly rate, she should have sorted out tax, national insurance and your payslips etc.

If not, you should have gone self employed. Just because you don't earn enough to pay tax does not mean you just don't declare it. I didn't earn enough to pay tax last year but I make my own money from my own business and therefore am liable to declare my earnings.

I would speak to both ACAS and citizens advice (my phone just auto corrected that to cute zebras advice haha!)

Unfortunately because you did not sign a contract of any sort you will probably have less rights as she can say you never worked there. However, if you can get evidence (clients, your signature on things etc) that might be a help.

You might be able to snitch on her to the tax man too as if she wasnt paying yours she probably wasn't paying hers either...

Hope that helps a little and I wish you the best of luck. Let us know what happens and get that back better :) x

Putting aside all of the contractual issues etc, on a purely personal level, if you really do suffer from your back, the beauty industry is probably not the best place to put all your eggs. Back problems are exceedingly common in this industry, so to begin with a pre-existing injury is probably not a great career move. You're probably better off doing something else and doing beauty on the side.

well first of all your boss is a very rude word in my opinion.

they have done 2 things wrong..they have not employed you legally (for this one you need to seek legal advice). And thy have lied to your training provider (I would phone them up asap to tell them exactly what has happened...see what possibilities there are of continuing your course).

sadly, (imho!) there are people in this industry who take advantage of those who are keen to get their foot in the door so i really hope it works out for you!

I wouldn't go back to working in beauty full time. I think this is one bad experience to far for me, and from a health point of view, I'd be to worried about it. I think evenings is about all I would do, privately.

I'm planning on finding another job once I feel better in myself.

My tutor is a salon owner, and I completely understand where she is coming from in the way she wouldn't get paid, but I don't understand why my boss couldn't just sign the paperwork for me so I could finish my course. If it was me I would, but maybe I'm just to nice?

I'll get on to citizens advice etc soon. Thank you all for your help and advice.

does anyone think it would be worth my time to contact the people funding the salon I am learning at?

does anyone think it would be worth my time to contact the people funding the salon I am learning at?

Yes, worth a shot!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I just got some blooming amazing news! My course tutor has managed to get the funding for me. I'm guessing she explained the situation to them! I get to finish! I think buying her a bunch of flowers and a thank you card is in order but I'm flipping happy! Regardless of the fact I can't do this in a salon, at least I''' be qualified to a level 3!

Congrats

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back