What age to start potty training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock chic

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anybody has any advice for me i have a 17 month old and was wondering had anyone any idea or tips on when and how to start potty training. thanks:hug::hug:

between 2 and 3 years old.

Hi all just wondering if anybody has any advice for me i have a 17 month old and was wondering had anyone any idea or tips on when and how to start potty training. thanks:hug::hug:

Boy or girl? I think girls 'train' faster. I only have boy potty training experience and my pediatrician told me to not even start til they were 2-1/2 years old. I did wait that long and it was a breeze! HTH! :)

I also have 'boy' experience, I started him at 2.5 and it was too early for him, a couple of months later he waltzed through it.

I don't think there really is a right age, you just have to watch for the signs, try and do it to early and it just won't work when they're ready it should take about a week.
Signs hiding behind things for privacy when pooping, wanting their nappy changed straight after they've been.

Yeah it's true girls train quicker than boys because girls feel the urge to go to the loo quicker than boys do (due to their anatomy) so consequently girls can make it to the toilet or potty quicker than a boy. Having said that my son trained when he was just over 2.
I would advise against pull ups and the like too because when you're training your little one they need to feel what wet feels like so that they learn that it's not a comfy feeling and will train themselves to know that if they need a wee they need to tell someone to take them to the potty quick!
i find its easier in warm weather too so that they can run around the garden with no pants on and it's easier to follow them with a potty and catch it!!
hope that helps! xXx

thanks geeks its a wee girl, i know its to early yet but just wanted to see how and when others had started. thanks:hug:

My daughter was trained by 18months, but she was a really forward child, so i knew it was the 'right' time to do it.

My 2 boys i did when they were 2 ( birthdays Feb and March) i trained them in the summer before they started playgroup...

summer is a good time, you will go through dozens of pants and they need to dry, plus, having them in the garden with the potty,and less of a structure (ie school runs) helps too....GL XxxX

When I was potty training my children, I read more than once that the "optimum" average age, when children are most receptive to it, is 27 months. I guess someone carried out a survey some time. If your daughter's not quite ready this summer, it could feel like it's taking forever. Maybe leave the potty in an obvious place so she gets used to it being around for a while before you start. Oooh it's bringing it all back now ...!

I think the sooner the better, my daughter was going to the toilet at 14 months she was wearing pull ups and then totally out them by 18 months. If you feel she is ready then go for it. Good luck. Oh i got a fab book from asda its a story book about a wee girl who was getting potty trained.

Good Luck

xx

I have had girl and boy experience of potty training and I agree that girls are quicker. I think the key is not to feel pressured into thinking 'so and so's daughter was out of nappies at whatever age'. Kids all go at their own pace, and literally overnight my son (although he was almost 3!!) decided nappies weren't his thing and he started using the potty/toilet xXx

Hi I started my son on the potty at 18mths. got him to sit on it in the morning after breakfast angain after lunch and before his bath at bed time. after a mth he never poo'ed in his nappy always on the potty. then when he turned two I took his nappy off and tole him he was having big boy pants from now on & had to ask for the toilet.. 1st day two accidents, 2nd day one & now he even wakes up at night to go to the toilet even thou he still wears a nappy to bed. I thought my sleepless nights were over.. lol the experts say if your child can tell the diffrence between his eyes, ears nose mouth ect there ready to potty train... hth Good Luck.

I think every child is different, they are all "ready" at different ages, provided they are out of nappies by the time they start nursery (usually about 3 or 4) dont worry. Having said that, I dont think they can ever be too young to accustomise them to the potty in readiness for training. An old childminder of mine used to sit hers on a potty as soon as they were old enough to sit unaided, they would just sit there with no nappy on for five or ten minutes, and if they just happened to do something while they were there she would give them loads of praise, her kids ended up being dry from really young ages and I'm sure it was down to this.

My brother has been sitting my niece on the potty before she was six months. She is not potty trained yet but at 9 months she has her breakfast and the does her business on the potty straight after.

I thought this was strange but apparently this is the way to do it now.

I also have 'boy' experience, I started him at 2.5 and it was too early for him, a couple of months later he waltzed through it.

2.5 years..dang thats young for a boy..im just a tad over 21 (well kind of) and I aint even started yet :o

Right off to change that diper..must cut down on my coffee intake :eek:

Sorry just couldnt resist.:lol::lol::lol:

I don't think gender matters,my son was dry day and night by the time he was 2 :!:

We had a potty in the living room,just knocking about from him being about one,as one of my nephews was petrified of his,so it was just there,nothing to be scared of.

To be fair i was home full time,and my hubby worked lot's of hours,so i do think having all that time on my hand helped,but i also think it depends on the child,at his first birthday party he could hold a conversation.

Every time he went i sang and danced around (thinking back i hope no one saw lol) i used to put a towel in his buggy and car seat,but he was quick at learning he didn't like being wet,and it was very easy for us,in fact i think we're in for a shock when this one arrives cos he was so good as a baby he he he

Good luck,but don't let it stress you out,you'll get there hun x

ps i think it helped that he never had bottoms on in the house,from morning to night more or less

another ps we went shopping allmost every week for big boys pants,he chose his own,bob ,bear,noddy thomas etc,that prob helped too in hindsight

Last edited:
When I did it for both of my girls I did it in the warmer weather so they could run round in just knickers and I also did it on a week that I didn't have much on so that I didn't have the stress of taking them out and them having an accident.

I kept the potty in the living room and as they got the hang of it I move it to the downstairs toilet and as they got bigger I got a step for them to be able to get up to the toilet.

I spoke to my health visitor for advice with my eldest as it was my first time and she said for the first 2-3 days expect accidents but bear with it because it will come and should take about 10 days.

I dont think theres a hard and fast rule as to what age you start. My little boy I started when he was 2, he was dry day and night by 2years 3 months. My little girl on the other hand started herself at 15 months, at 16 months she was fully dry, she refused to wear a nappy and wanted to use the 'Bigloo' all the time.

I guess at 17months you could get a potty and see if your little one shows any interest? Take them to the toilet with you, show them where they have to sit etc etc.

Dont panic about it though! :hug:

xxxx

I do think that boys are slower on the pot than girls. My middle boy was 3+, but he was dry at night almost at the same time. My eldest boy was 2 but not dry at night until about 4. My daughter was dry in day and night at 2 and a bit.....

......all children are different and find their own way, but the sooner the better as it saves on nappies, pull up pants and night pants....and night time sheet changes!

Good luck x

my daughter was out of nappies day and night by 13 month (yes i was lucky). my son however was 19 month old before he was out of nappies and i thought this was late. my grandson was out of nappies at 16 month old - and grandaughter out of napies at 17 month - i suppose it depends on how, and when - if its IN them to be out of nappies then thats fine - and better or you - what i did with my daughter was just put the potty in the room - if she used it, she used it, if she didnt, she didnt but i encouraged her to use it - this also goes on wheather they walking lol - i was also lucky that paula was walking at an early stage and hated being wet - these things take there own time, but i feel for ya if ya feel it taking too long - i also got my 2 neices out of nappies ( to my sisters happiness - as she didnt have to worry about doing it) - as for tips - i would just put the potty in the room in full view, and keep asking whether he/she wants a wee, then after a drink put them on potty, after a meal, put them on pottty, but sit with them, make games up to keep them occupied (they will sit there longer), then when that bells rings - praise them soo much, that they will gladly sit there all day - just to please ya

hth

Latest posts

Back