What am I doing wrong, disheartened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you dry wiping? :)

Noreen thankyou for that. Our training was very indepth but the appslication part wasnt given so much time if im honest. It was mostly prep and a quick run over application. When you do your clients do you just cap the first colour coat? Do you cap base and top coat ? Im capping every layer which is obviously way too much i am now thinking.
Hi, I've just been on a gelish translation course. The structure gel which I think you refer to as smoothing gel was advised to put this on top of the 2nd colour coat. I've never used it, I think it's only really used in severe cases not as a direct step in the process with every client.
yes Its the structure gel and i have been using it on most of my clients to give extra strength. I just felt untrusting of myself and thought if i added this in then i would be confident they would get a good long lasting service. I want them to return!! But as i said not even with this step am i getting it right. Its so frustrating!

You don't need to dry wipe with cnd...

Hi everyone,

I could just cry. Trained in Sept and things are still not going right. I did 3 clients 2 days ago, 3 out of 3 have chipped. What the hell am i doing wrong.

Trained with cnd but i stock both cnd and Gelish. Lamp is uv and new.

I do the following:
Prep
Scrubfresh
Ph bond
Foundation cure 1min
Dry wipe
Smoothing gel cure 2 min
Dry wipe
Colour coat x2 -each 2 mins
Top coat
Sticky layer off
Cuticle oil.

I am so dedicated and putting in so much time and effort but my confidence is just knocked every few days.

Please offer anything you can xx
When using cuticle away do you remove with soapy water and rub off with a towel? I use it but wipe it off with acetone, then the gelish cleanse, ph bond scrubbed into nail plate, foundation used very sparingly, ie I was taught to remove excess from bottle then dot all 5 fingers with excess then continue to apply without dipping brush back in bottle. When applying foundation layer it should look grainy ie small gritty bits. Dry wipe or you will have shrinkage. Then 2 colour coats, and top coat, remember to cap all layers. Also each layer should be thin. I know gelish can be cured in a uv lamp and the bottles state timing for both led and uv.

When using cuticle away do you remove with soapy water and rub off with a towel? I use it but wipe it off with acetone, then the gelish cleanse, ph bond scrubbed into nail plate, foundation used very sparingly, ie I was taught to remove excess from bottle then dot all 5 fingers with excess then continue to apply without dipping brush back in bottle. When applying foundation layer it should look grainy ie small gritty bits. Dry wipe or you will have shrinkage. Then 2 colour coats, and top coat, remember to cap all layers. Also each layer should be thin. I know gelish can be cured in a uv lamp and the bottles state timing for both led and uv.
Thanks Mrs Hardy:) was it said to cap every layer in the training? Is this not alot of product at the free edge?

Why are you assuming it's the products fault if you are having problems with 2 reputable brands? :)

You have done your CND training so are probably doing everything right, Gelish is applied ever so slightly differently but I don't think it's so different that you'll have problems.

What is the condition of your 3 clients nails? did they have weak, thin or peeling nails?

Do you have any photos of your application of gel polish? It may help :)
Hi Noreen, another text just in. This is not good. My business will never take off at this rate. Here is pics from 1 girl.
Why are you assuming it's the products fault if you are having problems with 2 reputable brands? :)

You have done your CND training so are probably doing everything right, Gelish is applied ever so slightly differently but I don't think it's so different that you'll have problems.

What is the condition of your 3 clients nails? did they have weak, thin or peeling nails?

o

Hi Noreen, another text just in. This is not good. My business will never take off at this rate. Here is pics from 1 girl.

o

Attachments

• IMG-20151207-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20151207-WA0002.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 196

Attachments

• IMG-20151207-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20151207-WA0004.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 142
The pictures aren't of great quality for me to see much paula I'm sorry :(

It looks as though that client has 2-3 week regrowth? how long ago did you do them?

The way the nail has chipped looks more like lack of aftercare as opposed to application fault, what does she do for s living, is she using solar oil etc??

It looks as though that client has 2-3 week regrowth? how long ago did you do them?

The way the nail has chipped looks more like lack of aftercare as opposed to application fault, what does she do for s living, is she using solar oil etc??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-07-23-23-51.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-07-23-23-51.png
    539.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_2015-12-07-23-23-51.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-07-23-23-51.png
    539.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG-20151207-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20151207-WA0005.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 134

Noreen these were done sat am! Im clearly not taking the coats up far enough to the cuticle, i didnt even realise until you just said it. Could this be an issue?

This girl wouldnt have worn gloves and did scrub her house she told me but im still very embarrassed.

ok those photos are s little better but are still low quality , on the last pic where half of it had come off ? Do I see that the nail is discoloured? It looks like it's been over filed and has a tinge of yellow to it , and parts of the tip of the nail look like red spots showing through. I'll need you to tell me if that's correct as the photo isn't great :)

Noreen these were done sat am! Im clearly not taking the coats up far enough to the cuticle, i didnt even realise until you just said it. Could this be an issue?

This girl wouldnt have worn gloves and did scrub her house she told me but im still very embarrassed.

if she did scrub her house without gloves on there is your answer. household cleaning products are very strong , they will absolutely interfere with a gel polish. no gel polish is indestructible , it will withstand normal wear and tear but added protection must be worn when doing tough jobs like gardening or household cleaning. Also the scrubbing action puts a lot of pressure on the tips of the fingernails and this can cause damage too.

I do think there is a big gap at the bottom of those nails but forget about that for now as this will not affect the longevity of the gel polish , it's just for a better appearance.

Ok that's one client solved , onto the next one ;)

if she did scrub her house without gloves on there is your answer. household cleaning products are very strong , they will absolutely interfere with a gel polish. no gel polish is indestructible , it will withstand normal wear and tear but added protection must be worn when doing tough jobs like gardening or household cleaning. Also the scrubbing action puts a lot of pressure on the tips of the fingernails and this can cause damage too.

I do think there is a big gap at the bottom of those nails but forget about that for now as this will not affect the longevity of the gel polish , it's just for a better appearance.

Ok that's one client solved , onto the next one ;)
ok those photos are s little better but are still low quality , on the last pic where half of it had come off ? Do I see that the nail is discoloured? It looks like it's been over filed and has a tinge of yellow to it , and parts of the tip of the nail look like red spots showing through. I'll need you to tell me if that's correct as the photo isn't great :)

Ok this girl is my sister, she had hard gel nails for along time. This finger nail is weak. I have her using solar oil, ive answered my own question here. I just posted incase you could see a common dominator in my work.

The other red picture, this girl has strong nails and has a pretty easy lifestyle so im more baffled by her!

Ok this girl is my sister, she had hard gel nails for along time. This finger nail is weak. I have her using solar oil, ive answered my own question here. I just posted incase you could see a common dominator in my work.

The other red picture, this girl has strong nails and has a pretty easy lifestyle so im more baffled by her!

Look at the picture with the red nail that is missing half of the Gelish but look down at the thumb , can you see you've got a ridge at the free edge line? it goes up , this will catch on things and will cause peeling , you are over capping the nails :)

Look at the picture with the red nail that is missing half of the Gelish but look down at the thumb , can you see you've got a ridge at the free edge line? it goes up , this will catch on things and will cause peeling , you are over capping the nails

Noreen your like the nail police, god bless your eyes ok this is the feedback i need. New changes being made 1st thing. Keep me in your prayers xxx

check out the CND 5 point polish method, it makes it fool proof to avoid this mistake and will help you get closer to the cuticle

Liverpool lashes video shows if perfectly :

Thanks Mrs Hardy:) was it said to cap every layer in the training? Is this not alot of product at the free edge?
No it's not as remember you can flick the side of brush along the free edge very lightly after application of the full nail. Also a good trick for very short nails is to watch fingernail fixers video where she caps the free edge first by removing excess polish from brush then place the tip of the brush at the edge facing away from the cuticle so the tip of the brush is looking at you. Then lightly move the tip over the edge of the nail thus creating a cap, do this all along the tip of the nail.

No it's not as remember you can flick the side of brush along the free edge very lightly after application of the full nail. Also a good trick for very short nails is to watch fingernail fixers video where she caps the free edge first by removing excess polish from brush then place the tip of the brush at the edge facing away from the cuticle so the tip of the brush is looking at you. Then lightly move the tip over the edge of the nail thus creating a cap, do this all along the tip of the nail.
Yes i have watched this. I need to make a few small changes so. Fingers crossed for me. And thankyou for your help x

Latest posts

Back