What am I doing wrong, disheartened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i have watched this. I need to make a few small changes so. Fingers crossed for me. And thankyou for your help x
Good luck, let us know how you get on x

I think first, take a deep breath. You will get through this. I think you should keep things simple, I use blue cross cuticle remover and really push back the cuticles, cut off everything (anal retentive here), buff the nails especially around the cuticle area and use a good bonder not just a dehydrator, I found that the gelish ph bond doesn't really do anything as a bonding step, remember gels don't have a monomer like acrylic so they really need that extra sticky grab that bonders provide. When applying, I recommend 2 coats of base coat almost always, because sometimes depending on each brand while you are applying on all 5 fingers the previous finger could have already started to pull away from the cuticle and won't give you great coverage of a base coat, so the second coat of base really helps to fortify that for you. I usually don't apply too thin either, the brush shouldn't feel like its a dry drag throughout the nail. You should have it thin but still very smooth in pull from cuticle to free edge, if you apply the gels too thin they won't hold up especially if the clients nails are thin themselves. Depending on how thin the clients nails are I would increase how many layers I use I also highly recommend Young Nails protein bonder that can help add back keratin and give you a double sided tape effect to give your nails a great foundation. Make sure in every coat whether it is base, colour or top to wipe around the cuticles to ensure you don't have any spilling. As you apply you can always check to see if the product is pulling back, if that is the case I recommend doing 1 finger at a time or 2 if you are quick but I usually do 1 at a time because I am OCD. I do this often if I am using a product or a colour I want the utmost precision like black or other dark colours. While you are applying the colour, make sure to check for evenness, as I always instruct, your first coat is for your perimeter don't worry about how even the shade is at this point, just focus on getting that super sharp cuticle line. Your next few coats should be to get the richest and even shade throughout your applications from cuticle to free edge here on out. At the end you can use your judgement to use 1 or 2 top coats, when in doubt just do another really thin top coat to seal everything off. I hope this helps you in terms of your prep and application. Don't focus so much on what the company teaches you about how to use their product if you are going to mix and match anyways, get the basics down on what needs to be done with gel services period, they all work the same way, its up to you to test and push the limits of these products and see what results you can get out of them. My high hopes for you in your journey of being a fabulous nail technician! You are already doing better than most by looking for help and reaching above and beyond.

If your using the CND lamp but using gelish that could be the problem?? Also could be hand placement if it's the new CND lamp your using and it could be under curing X

I think first, take a deep breath. You will get through this. I think you should keep things simple, I use blue cross cuticle remover and really push back the cuticles, cut off everything (anal retentive here), buff the nails especially around the cuticle area and use a good bonder not just a dehydrator, I found that the gelish ph bond doesn't really do anything as a bonding step, remember gels don't have a monomer like acrylic so they really need that extra sticky grab that bonders provide. When applying, I recommend 2 coats of base coat almost always, because sometimes depending on each brand while you are applying on all 5 fingers the previous finger could have already started to pull away from the cuticle and won't give you great coverage of a base coat, so the second coat of base really helps to fortify that for you. I usually don't apply too thin either, the brush shouldn't feel like its a dry drag throughout the nail. You should have it thin but still very smooth in pull from cuticle to free edge, if you apply the gels too thin they won't hold up especially if the clients nails are thin themselves. Depending on how thin the clients nails are I would increase how many layers I use I also highly recommend Young Nails protein bonder that can help add back keratin and give you a double sided tape effect to give your nails a great foundation. Make sure in every coat whether it is base, colour or top to wipe around the cuticles to ensure you don't have any spilling. As you apply you can always check to see if the product is pulling back, if that is the case I recommend doing 1 finger at a time or 2 if you are quick but I usually do 1 at a time because I am OCD. I do this often if I am using a product or a colour I want the utmost precision like black or other dark colours. While you are applying the colour, make sure to check for evenness, as I always instruct, your first coat is for your perimeter don't worry about how even the shade is at this point, just focus on getting that super sharp cuticle line. Your next few coats should be to get the richest and even shade throughout your applications from cuticle to free edge here on out. At the end you can use your judgement to use 1 or 2 top coats, when in doubt just do another really thin top coat to seal everything off. I hope this helps you in terms of your prep and application. Don't focus so much on what the company teaches you about how to use their product if you are going to mix and match anyways, get the basics down on what needs to be done with gel services period, they all work the same way, its up to you to test and push the limits of these products and see what results you can get out of them. My high hopes for you in your journey of being a fabulous nail technician! You are already doing better than most by looking for help and reaching above and beyond.
In my opinion, there's a few things in your advice that are questionable.
Don't focus on what is taught? Really? Two base and top coats are unnecessary. That's for starters.

And mixing up product lines isn't too professional and will probably void your insurance.

In my opinion, there's a few things in your advice that are questionable.
Don't focus on what is taught? Really? Two base and top coats are unnecessary. That's for starters.
It wasn't my intention to create tension. I wasn't saying to forget all training of course you should remember your training but in terms of mixing different products, you have to test things out and see what you like better. Sometimes in one brand you might like their base coat but not like their colour choices. Some base gels require that you run a clean brush over the top before applying colour but if you are adding a different line of colour on top that doesn't need to run through the tacky layer, you have to just experiment and see what you like. I guess maybe the advise is a bit too advance for someone who is just starting out, this was my wrong doing. My apologies, I was wrong to share on this thread.

Hi everyone,

I could just cry. Trained in Sept and things are still not going right. I did 3 clients 2 days ago, 3 out of 3 have chipped. What the hell am i doing wrong.

Trained with cnd but i stock both cnd and Gelish. Lamp is uv and new.

I do the following:
Prep
Scrubfresh
Ph bond
Foundation cure 1min
Dry wipe
Smoothing gel cure 2 min
Dry wipe
Colour coat x2 -each 2 mins
Top coat
Sticky layer off
Cuticle oil.

I am so dedicated and putting in so much time and effort but my confidence is just knocked every few days.

Please offer anything you can xx
Do not dry wipe and also I would check the bulbs in your lamp. How old are they???? If they are expired you will not be getting a full cure. Also yes you need to cap the free edge with all products. I also wonder if you are doing a dry manicure to start. Make sure the nails are totally dry. When you do your own nails are you getting lasting results?

What's with the dry wipe? You do not wipe the nails after the base coat or after the smoothing gel.. Only after curing the top coat..

It wasn't my intention to create tension. I wasn't saying to forget all training of course you should remember your training but in terms of mixing different products, you have to test things out and see what you like better. Sometimes in one brand you might like their base coat but not like their colour choices. Some base gels require that you run a clean brush over the top before applying colour but if you are adding a different line of colour on top that doesn't need to run through the tacky layer, you have to just experiment and see what you like. I guess maybe the advise is a bit too advance for someone who is just starting out, this was my wrong doing. My apologies, I was wrong to share on this thread.

Your advice too advanced???

Sorry but it sounds like advice from a home grown tech who just plays about with this product and that product. Fine for your own nails but not on paying clients expecting a professional service.

No respectable product company will recommend you mix and match base, colour and top coats from different manufacturers.

And in "advising" people to do so you are also voiding their insurance. Nice one.

What's with the dry wipe? You do not wipe the nails after the base coat or after the smoothing gel.. Only after curing the top coat..

The op is talking about using Gelish, you are taught to dry brush after foundation x

Who did you train with? [emoji15]

Your advice too advanced???

Sorry but it sounds like advice from a home grown tech who just plays about with this product and that product. Fine for your own nails but not on paying clients expecting a professional service.

No respectable product company will recommend you mix and match base, colour and top coats from different manufacturers.

And in "advising" people to do so you are also voiding their insurance. Nice one.

There really is no need for name calling, I thought this forum had adults. I guess with the internet everyone just says whatever they want to degrade people just because they can't see their faces. That's all I have got to say about this, not going to argue.

There really is no need for name calling, I thought this forum had adults. I guess with the internet everyone just says whatever they want to degrade people just because they can't see their faces. That's all I have got to say about this, not going to argue.

I didn't see any name calling but to be completely honest your advice doesn't sound very professional/ isn't what you should have been taught.
It comes across as your own interpretation of whatever you learned on your course. Therefore it probably isn't the best thing to do to advise newly trained or troubled techs with your own version of using certain products as this will give them bad habits before they have even started.

Hi, I'm recently trained in gel polish application. I use opi and gelish, I use an led lamp that cost about £50 at the moment, just whilst I'm perfecting application...1mm margin! I have a variety of clients...those that don't do housework..those that do, one has a horse, some work in an office and some work in retail. They all have different nails, some with ridges, some are naturally oily, some are dry and cracked, some are thin...just sometimes, not everyone is suited to gel polish. Sometimes the polish has gone out of date, sometimes you miss a bit when applying the top coat. I'm thinking that it will take another year for me to perfect this process and, like me, if you attended a short course, it's just practice,practice, research, practice, research....and so on. I only charge a small fee, even though I'm 'qualified', but I know that this career change for me is going to be a slow process. I've already spent approx £2000, I'm focused on this project, I also get disheartened when I hear polish has chipped, or people don't come back to me...but I'm enjoying the experience. This is the first time I've joined in a chat on hear...I quite often look in for advice...I think everyone learns their own techniques in the end...just start with the basics and enjoy!

Hi everyone,

I could just cry. Trained in Sept and things are still not going right. I did 3 clients 2 days ago, 3 out of 3 have chipped. What the hell am i doing wrong.

Trained with cnd but i stock both cnd and Gelish. Lamp is uv and new.

I do the following:
Prep
Scrubfresh
Ph bond
Foundation cure 1min
Dry wipe
Smoothing gel cure 2 min
Dry wipe
Colour coat x2 -each 2 mins
Top coat
Sticky layer off
Cuticle oil.

I am so dedicated and putting in so much time and effort but my confidence is just knocked every few days.

Please offer anything you can xx
What gel do you use? A lot of newly qualified tecs end up buying cheap gels off eBay which always end up chipping/lifting. I made this mistake as my nail tutors never gave us a guide on which gels to buy. I now use the edge uv gel which works really well for me.

There has been no name calling.

You have to understand that this is an open forum that is read by many new nails techs just finding their way, Your advice is not only irresponsible it's also reckless. Using gel systems as a whole is paramount to any service for the safety of your clients. It is NOT a marketing ploy by manufacturers to get you to buy more from them. Mixing and matching brands will always lead to service breakdown AND an increased risk of your client have a reaction to uncured gel AND invalidating your insurance. It's not like make up where you can choose a foundation from one brand and a blush etc from another. Gel needs to be cured under the exact conditions recommended by your manufacturer to ensure all gel is cured , there is no way to tell by the naked eye if a gel is cured 100% as it will look cured to the naked eye at only 50% cured. The only way to ensure and full and proper cure is to use the system as whole and that includes the lamp. Every lamp will have a different UV output and you need one that matches your chosen gel system, by using another lamp your have no way of telling if its 100% cured or only 50% cured. You must follow all manufactures instructions, doing anything else is putting yourself and your clients at risk, insurance companies know this thats why they are so strict on following manufactures instructions to the letter.

What gel do you use? A lot of newly qualified tecs end up buying cheap gels off eBay which always end up chipping/lifting. I made this mistake as my nail tutors never gave us a guide on which gels to buy. I now use the edge uv gel which works really well for me.
Harmony Gelish and Cnd Shellac. Both professional and great brands. Im just having teething problems. I will learn through my mistakes though. The advice here is invaluable! X

Latest posts

Back