What am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luby102

Reaction score
Hi, what am i doing wrong? ive done 5 strand test, on Level5 virgin hair, im trying to get a purple i have tried 55/66+10/0+0/66+12% but it's turning out too dark.. ive used 55/65 aswell but it looks more redy purple!! Im looking for a cadburys purple any suggestions would be a help i use wella
Thanks

You're probably gonna need to prelighten. And surely using 12% will blow out the tone?

I know it will give more vibrancy if I pre lighten but she doesn't want to do that, the stand test look more like an 33/66, I just want to see the purple...

If she wants a vibrant purple you have to start from at least a level 8.

You are the professional so you need to advise her that she either accepts that it has to be pre-lightened a few levels or it's going to be a very dark damson colour.

She knows that she want get this vibrancy if we don't pre lighten and she accepts that, I just thought I was doing something wrong for the 55/66 to go sooo dark on the stand test!!!

She knows that she want get this vibrancy if we don't pre lighten and she accepts that, I just thought I was doing something wrong for the 55/66 to go sooo dark on the stand test!!!

Nope, it sounds about right.

If you have any spare hair available, I recommend doing another strand test and pre-lighten first before applying your desired shade to demonstrate exactly how much more vibrant the colour will look when compared to your original strand test.

Also, either use Goldwell's Elumen VV if you want to use a permanent tint or a decent brand of direct dye to get a really vibrant purple colour. Personally, I wouldn't bother with standard tint ranges.

Sometimes when using 0/66 it can appear really dark. When looking at the colour wheel it is the only one that looks like it has any depth.
You won't get it vibrant with that mixture but the mix tone it certainly gonna cause it to appear much darker in this instance. What is the quantities for each colour you are using?

Latest posts

Back