What am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letmenailyou

Reaction score
hey everyone - new here but wanted to join to find out a few things !

i’m crazy about doing nails i’ve been practicing doing gel nails using builder gels and poly gels however my nails never last longer than just under a week (max 5 days) . i use a nail dehydrator, i prep and make sure my nails are good.

I do have short nails and my thumbnail is in real bad condition - i’m using a fungal nail infection repair and i’m giving my nails a break. any ideas why they last for such a short while ? the first picture is of my hands second is a set i did recently ! any help welcome !

Thanks

Attachments

• F6AA2BE5-22CA-4B80-8CAF-820455E1BF13.jpeg
    F6AA2BE5-22CA-4B80-8CAF-820455E1BF13.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • C6562EE6-8628-4166-9013-E11614D4E184.jpeg
    C6562EE6-8628-4166-9013-E11614D4E184.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
Where did you train? Have you contacted your tutor for advice?

Where did you train? Have you contacted your tutor for advice?
i’ve only been doing online training watching videos and reading

i’ve only been doing online training watching videos and reading

….and therein unfortunately lies the problem.

Without the correct training and knowledge, you have possibly picked up bad habits and incorrect procedures by watching DIY videos. It‘s not as simple as it looks, most qualified nail techs can assure you of that with the time, effort and money spent.

Needless to say, experimenting with chemicals you know little about is not only a recipe for disaster, but could also introduce damaged nails and/or infections/allergies.

The best advice that can be offered is for you to research nail courses available for beginners, learn the right way, and then move forward with confidence.

Hope that helps.

….and therein unfortunately lies the problem.

Without the correct training and knowledge, you have possibly picked up bad habits and incorrect procedures by watching DIY videos. It‘s not as simple as it looks, most qualified nail techs can assure you of that with the time, effort and money spent.

Needless to say, experimenting with chemicals you know little about is not only a recipe for disaster, but could also introduce damaged nails and/or infections/allergies.

The best advice that can be offered is for you to research nail courses available for beginners, learn the right way, and then move forward with confidence.

Hope that helps.

You are so right! it really isn’t as easy as it looks!!! I have been ready to train for a while but I don’t want to have it as a career as I have a full on full time job which i enjoy I just want to know how to do my own nails - are there any course providers you can recommend ? as i’ve just had a look and there’s LOADS!!! (i’m UK based) Thanks in advance

You are so right! it really isn’t as easy as it looks!!! I have been ready to train for a while but I don’t want to have it as a career as I have a full on full time job which i enjoy I just want to know how to do my own nails - are there any course providers you can recommend ? as i’ve just had a look and there’s LOADS!!! (i’m UK based) Thanks in advance

Most training providers will have educators located all around the UK, so don‘t worry about that 😉

As for recommendations, every nail tech will have their own preferences, but whichever you opt for, make sure their courses are accredited for both insurance and professional purposes.

To kick things off, have a browse through the websites of some of the following:

Sweet Squared (CND)
NSI (Nail Systems International)
Nail Harmony (Georgie Smedley Ltd)
Louella Belle
Young Nails
INK London
Cuccio

There are so many more, but the above should give you some ideas on where to start.

Plus CJP Nail Systems, they only endorse face to face training, I like that commitment, plus their products are great too

Most training providers will have educators located all around the UK, so don‘t worry about that 😉

As for recommendations, every nail tech will have their own preferences, but whichever you opt for, make sure their courses are accredited for both insurance and professional purposes.

To kick things off, have a browse through the websites of some of the following:

Sweet Squared (CND)
NSI (Nail Systems International)
Nail Harmony (Georgie Smedley Ltd)
Louella Belle
Young Nails
INK London
Cuccio

There are so many more, but the above should give you some ideas on where to start.

You are amazing !!! thank you so much

Plus CJP Nail Systems, they only endorse face to face training, I like that commitment, plus their products are great too
thank you

Latest posts

Back