What am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedougster

Reaction score
I recently have just came back from holiday in Canada. Whilst over there i went for a manicure and pedicure and loved the results. Unfortunately I can not afford it to be a regular thing now i am back in the UK so i have decided to try it myself.

Not sure if all you professionals are able to help me but i have a few questions on how to use some stuff i have bought. If it makes any difference i am a guy.

I bought some cuticle remover, Solar oil, nail pusher with chisel, and some matte nail polish, along with a file and a buffer.

What i have done so far is put some remover around my nails and left it for a minute. Then i tried to use the pusher to push my cuticle's in. The thing is the curve of the pusher is not the same as my nail and it gouges out marks in my nail. Does anyone have any advise on how i do it without scratching? Maybe i should use one of those wooden sticks?

I then used the chisel to scoop around the base of the nail to remove the built up cuticle. Is this right as the result isn't very good as it doesn't come off easily.

I them washed my hands and put on the solar oil. Once that dried i buffed my nails and put on the polish.

Does that sound okay?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
sounds Like your pushing to hard to me, my suggestion would be just to file your nails apply cuticle oil and loition too your feet. if you cant afford a regular pedi then maybe try to have one once a month rather than fortnightly. I suggest you leave the other stages to the proffesionals or you might do lasting damage to your nails.

Yes you are pushing too hard with the pusher, in untrained hands this can damage the matrix and cause your nails to grow in a permanently deformed shape,
regular daily use of solar oil will help to prevent the build up of eponychium, what you know as your cuticle,
in the mean time try this
soak feet in warm water and soap or an oil.
dry feet.
massage cream into feet until it disappears.
use clippers to trim toe nails.
file edges to smooth.
gently buff surface of nail (no more than once a week and GENTLY)
wipe each nail with polish remover to remove all traces of cream or oil.
apply polish.
and give yourself a pat on the back for taking care of your feet.
this should put you on for the time been but it would be a good idea to have a professional pedicure every now and again for the professional to do the more involved parts, even if its once every 2 months.
hope that has helped.

Instead of using the pusher you could always use an orangewood stick and wrap some cotton wool around the end dip it into a bit of water to stay on the end of the stick and push your cuticles back that way.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I think i will just do the basics myself as advised and try and save the pennies to get it done properly every couple of months.

Could anyone recommend anyone in the Edinburgh area?

Follow loubylous advice but remember to use a base coat before applying a coloured polish...and a top coat to finish.

And throw away the metal cuticle pusher...as your not trained, you are more than likely gonna do more harm than good...I think you would be better with a plastic cuticle pusher...one end is thin/tapered to help gently remove the non-living tissue off the nail plate and the other end is rubber to gently push the eponychium (skin fold) back...you musnt use anything that is going to scratch or cause damge to your nails.

Have you thought about trying your local college...they often have paying customers in the beauty department for the students to gain experience...you may have to pay...but perhaps more affordable for you.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I think i will just do the basics myself as advised and try and save the pennies to get it done properly every couple of months.

Could anyone recommend anyone in the Edinburgh area?

Ring the CND distributor on 01313333180 who will be glad to tell you of a professional CND salon near to you.

Latest posts

Back