What are "6D" lashes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliebee

Reaction score
I like to think I keep up with everything lash related and am pretty on the ball with new products/techniques etc.

But can someone please explain to me what "6D" lashes are please? I am seeing these advertised all over the place.

Now, I may be a bit slow, but I thought we were only up to 3D? Perhaps 4D if the big cinema marketing is to be believed.

But 6D? Really?

Or does it refer to something completely different?

Haha elliebee maybe I'm also slow since i have never heard of these either and I like to keep myself up to date on everything at least lash related.

So 6D lashes? What are they I need educating!

Id love to know also lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Where have you seen this?
Never heard of them xx

D you think it means 6 dimensional? I didn't even know that was a possibility?

Urgh 6D, seen these advertised for training, it's using 0.07 lashes but not sure how it is new as these have been around for a couple of years or how they become 6D, I sincerely hope they are not putting 6 lashes on one Nat lash!!!!

Hi Fellow geeks,

6D lashes? Blinkingorgeous is quite right when she said this technique has been around for sometime now. I think what happens is someone comes up for a new name for a technique and we all end up thinking "ohhh whats that? something new?"

For any who don't know what the technique is it is also known as feathering, layering or as some genius as re named 6D lashes.

It involves using 0.07 lashes (if using synthetic) or the finest real mink available if using real fur.

You isolate as normal and apply 4/5/6 single lashes to the single isolated lash. The nicer effect is achieved when using real mink as you end up with a really fine fluffy "feather" look hence the feathering technique. Its not such a nice look with synthetic lashes. It goes without saying that you could only practice this technique using as many as 6 single lashes on the strongest of natural lashes.

So the next time you hear of lashers boasting of getting 250 lashes on per eye, its no big secret, this is how it is done. I hope that helps and makes sense ladies?????

Thanks for the info. How long does a set like this take to do on average ? Xxx

Umm...isn't 6 0.07 lashes far too many!?
If someone wanted a 0.42 lash applied I would laugh!

Ugh...here we go with another load of poorly done damaged lashes to fix... :grr::grr::grr:

.... the latest crazes usually come from the USA, eg semi permanent mascara was ‘invented’ and considered the new lash revolution but didn’t live up to the standards of individual lash treatments, lash express was ‘invented’ to cut corners but make lash extensions more accessible pricewise and again that hasn’t lived up to the quality of individual lashes and now everyone is going nuts over '6D'.

4D, 6D and Hollywood are all names of the latest craze in lash finish. It is nothing new, I’ve been teaching this technique for years because it’s great for the superlight authentic mink lashes but of late it’s caught attention with pictures being posted of what can be created by lashers in Russia with the newly available synthetic 0.07mm lashes. If used incorrectly this technique will, indeed in time, be considered a ‘fad’ as it’s not easy to create without creating stickies and without the right techniques will take hours to complete. It takes me 2-2.3 hrs to complete and I’m considered a fast lasher.

Correctly used this is a great technique to put Authentic Mink Lashes or synthetic 0.07’s or .10’s. The weight of lashes do not divide into the range of thicknesses ie 1 .20mm = 2-3 .15mm = 3-4 .10mm = 5-6 .07mm. So as long as you respect the weight of the extensions used you can create these looks safely for the natural lash.

To make this look viable you need to be able to place the lashes in a neat superfast fashion, hence why there are different techniques from tipping, staking, piggybacking and wishboning. There’s now a ‘new’ technique which has been dubbed ‘the Russian technique’ and is being taught for about £2000.00 if you can be bothered to go to Russia or the USA (all classes are full there though) and find out how to do this. I understand you learn how to pick up x6 lashes at a time and place them all together and you can do a set in 2-2.3 hrs. I’ve not had the Russian training myself so don’t quote me!

HTH
Francesca

I understand different training schools use different names for the same thing but for clarity feathering is a different technique to create a natural finish at the LASHacademy.

Correctly used this is a great technique to put Authentic Mink Lashes or synthetic 0.07’s or .10’s. The weight of lashes do not divide into the range of thicknesses ie 1 .20mm = 2-3 .15mm = 3-4 .10mm = 5-6 .07mm. So as long as you respect the weight of the extensions used you can create these looks safely for the natural lash.

Can you explain this to me? I'm sorry if I sound an idiot but I have always been taught max of one 0.15/0.20/0.25 per lash and max of 3-4 0.07?!

I can't see how a different technique makes it ok to double this per lash?

Please don't think I'm being difficult, it's genuine interest x

Your question is two-fold.

The different techniques help with the SPEED of application.

Your question relating to weight is complex, hence why it's covered in training because there are many variables and it's down to your training to decide what is good for each client. I've quoted a general relationship between the different lash thicknesses. There are obviously other factors to take into account.

I'm also aware that training is not uniformed between the different lash schools, so what one school teaches may differ from anothers. I can't quote other schools' practises.

I don't think you're being difficult, I'm not trying to be either! It's just that sometimes the written form is not enough to learn from, sometimes you need to see how stuff is done. We all learn from a range of senses - audio, visually, kinetically.

HTH
Francesca

I think this is just going to open a whole can of worms and inexperienced lash techs overloading lashes.

This thread has filled me with dread :(

I think this is just going to open a whole can of worms and inexperienced lash techs overloading lashes.

Completely agree.

With correct training or not, I can't see that 3 x 0.15s can ever be as safe on one natural lash as 1 x 0.20?

& lots of clients coming to us saying they want more lashes and arguing us when we tell the consequences!!

IMHO the best has always been individual lash extensions ... that is one extension to one lash.

IMHO the best has always been individual lash extensions ... that is one extension to one lash.

This is something iv been confused with for a while now - if a set is classed as individual eyelash extensions ( my understanding being again that one false lash to one natural lash) then how can three 0.7s on one natural lash be classed technically as individual lash extensions? Would this not fall into an express lash category - even though I appreciate lash isolation is still being performed?

With express lashes the lash isn't isolated and so need to be removed within 2 weeks, the 0.07 are isolated and are light enough to lash the life of the natural lash.

Has anyone got any new info on this, Im just wondering if its something that I should be considering but I have the same reservations that have already been stated on this thread.

Also my concern would be that are there enough clients around willing to pay the increased price that would need to be charged for this service.

I am doing well with my eyelash extensions but the price I have heard that is suggested to charge I wonder whether they will become one offs for clients rather than a regular service.

H xx

Has anyone got any new info on this, Im just wondering if its something that I should be considering but I have the same reservations that have already been stated on this thread.

Also my concern would be that are there enough clients around willing to pay the increased price that would need to be charged for this service.

I am doing well with my eyelash extensions but the price I have heard that is suggested to charge I wonder whether they will become one offs for clients rather than a regular service.

H xx

Having found out A LOT more info on this technique I can safely say I have changed my mind completely lol.

Once I found out that 9 x 0.07 actually only adds up to a .21 in diameter, and I have seen evidence of how they work it out, I felt much more comfy with this idea. Hence organising for Irina Levchuk to visit the UK in October to teach :)

I already offer volume sets or 6D sets and charge a lot more money for them.. I definitely have a demand for it and they are utterly beautiful and fluffy :)

That doesn't mean to say you would put 9 on a natural lash and of course the amount of extensions placed on a Nat lash would depend on the condition of the nat lash x

Latest posts

Back