What are burlesque nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJK

Addicted to pilates geek
Reaction score
The theme for the Nail Championships at Professional Beauty North in October is "Burlesque". I'm not entering the competition but I am thinking about what "Burlesque" could mean.

How could this theme be translated using nail art? I don't use L+P or gel, but do love nail art and like to see what is possible using paints, rhinestones, glitter etc, especially since one of Autumn's looks is fetish.

Any ideas?

Burlesque is a kind of cabaret and also recently a film was made

I would imagine what there looking for in the comp is nails related to the clothing such as corsets, stockings, thongs n stilettos and the dancers etc...will be fab to see some of the designs! lots of feathery nails, bet there going to look amazing

I have a few idea's of my own but as I do not use l&p and never tried complex 3D structures using gel then I think ill pass but now I know about these comps i will certainly be interested in the future!

you can also learn to do burlesque in classes :D

Moon manicures , netting / lace , red black purple , sequins , glitter , feathers , spot lights , mirroros , music , cleavage , roses , corstes and top hats !

Moon manicures , netting / lace , red black purple , sequins , glitter , feathers , spot lights , mirroros , music , cleavage , roses , corstes and top hats !
Agreed, but how to incorporate some of that into nail art? The colours and glitters are easy, but not distinctive as burlesque.

There was a picture in scratch (either june or may) and it had a pic of acrylic sculpted into a dita von teese lookalike sitting on the nail. Thatd definatly be burlesque :) very impressive

I remember seeing a set of long almond shaped nails, not stiletto, anyway they were a beautiful dark red then they had a black corset sculpted on and there was real ribbon threaded through the eyelets of the corset and then tied in a bow with the ribbon ends trailing down from the tips.
I have no idea when, or where I saw these but this sort of thing could be adapted in so many ways, rhinestones, bits of feather and or lace, some parts embedded some proud.
Perhaps a glitter top hat at the cuticle followed by a feather fan (cancan style)
I wish my talent was up to my imagination. Oh well I'll just have to wait for the photo's of all the entries. I'm going to love seeing them.

Jessica did a range with burlesque colours you might find some inspiration if you google that?! Xx

I remember seeing a set of long almond shaped nails, not stiletto, anyway they were a beautiful dark red then they had a black corset sculpted on and there was real ribbon threaded through the eyelets of the corset and then tied in a bow with the ribbon ends trailing down from the tips.
I have no idea when, or where I saw these but this sort of thing could be adapted in so many ways, rhinestones, bits of feather and or lace, some parts embedded some proud.
Perhaps a glitter top hat at the cuticle followed by a feather fan (cancan style)
I wish my talent was up to my imagination. Oh well I'll just have to wait for the photo's of all the entries. I'm going to love seeing them.
I'd thought of very fine ribbons too, but couldn't work out how to incorporate them if I wasn't doing any 3d sculpting.

Ooooh now burlesque and corsetry would be right up my street :D Corset nail with handpainted boning channels and real lace ( threaded using a piercing drill I would imagine ), fishnets, black arch backed chairs for the show, "martini" glass ( made oh so famous by the legend that s Dita von Teese ), canes and top hats, Louboutin stiletto's - the list is endless. Sadly, my 3D work is pants so I couldn't enter if I wanted to :(

Latest posts

Back