What are Calgel nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debz98

Reaction score
I have been asked by people to do calgel nails but dnt no what they are can someone please help?xx

Calgel is a soak off gel system, similar to Bio Sculpture, but with fewer colours to choose from.

The search button will help you find lots of Calgel related threads, and we also have a Calgel social group on the site.

Hope that helps.

Is it same as shellac?xx

Shellac is a hybrid polish, and a totally different system altogether.

Im totally confused by this how are they done?xx

Is it same as shellac?xx

I'm sorry but Calgel is NOTHING like Shellac. For a start Calgel is a "gel" Shellac is a Hybrid power polish.

Are they not applied the same tho but with a pot and a brush ?

Im totally confused by this how are they done?xx

Calgel is a soak-off (soft) gel. It comes in little pots, is applied (to nails that have had the surface shine removed with a 240-grit file) with a gel brush, and is cured in a UV lamp. You can use it over tips or sculpt with it to add length to nails, or use it as an overlay product. It comes in coloured or clear gels. To buy Calgel products in the UK you have to have completed training with their UK distributor, Izabelle Hammon.

On a personal level (and I don't want a berating for this please Geeks - this is just my experience!) the vast majority of my Calgel clients have switched to other systems in the last 18mths or so...

The majority of my Calgel overlay clients had it to give a non-chip polish effect.

A huge number of them have found that Shellac (despite not being a gel) is more than sufficient for their needs. They also prefer that it is a power polish (rather than a gel) and that there is no buffing of the natural nail involved in the application of Shellac.

The remainder of my Calgel clients were ones that needed the added strength of gel.

Many of them are forever French fans, but neither they or I were fans of the way clear Calgel has a tendency to yellow over time. So we tried CND Brisa gel on them instead and they haven't looked back!

The last few are my 'hardcore' colour Calgel overlay clients, but there are very few of these.

In summary, there are things I like about Calgel - not least its 30-second-cure (clear gel) for a quick and easy nail repair! - and I still offer it on my treatment 'menu' and use it fairly regularly... BUT I have FAR more demand for Shellac and Brisa, and they bring in MUCH more money for me. Hope this helps! xx

Yes thanks :) xx

Latest posts

Back