What are you running your software off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHELSEAHARVEY

Reaction score
In the coming months I have a log cabin going up in my garden it's a big one & going to be like a proper salon

I have no idea yet what software I'm going to use to book clients in. I don't think I'm going to pay for a expensive one as it's just booking clients in I need.

I need to get a new laptop was going to get a computer with hard drive but at least at the end if each day I can bring it indoors with me. I didn't no if to get a Norman laptop or go crazy & get a apple mac but didn't no if it was with the expense for what I'm using it for

People have been saying get a IPad Air. I have a iPad already but if I was gong to go down this route then id get a new one just for business as mine has loads of Apps etc on it for my boys.

Do most software go with the apple products as I no that they don't support flash websites etc????

Although many people use iPads I don't think people think hold on, what happens if everything accidentally gets deleted? You'd be lost.

I would say any laptop will do the job. If you wanted to go crazy could get a MacBook Air perhaps with a solid state drive. Apple MacBooks are naturally much better and have many more features. Will be down to you what you use on it. If you get one with a solid state drive then you will never lose your data. Solid state drives never fail however could still have a backup to Dropbox for free.

All depends what software you want to use as some are not apple compatible and vice versa.

There also isn't anything wrong with good old pencil and book. I think unless you have the money to spunk on a £500-1000 laptop and get the full use out of it id go with pen and book. It's easier. Cheaper. Won't lose it due to technology. Can take it anywhere. I mean no need to make things more complicated then need be ;)

Banner Penguin a book is no good I did this when I started I have massive writing & struggle to put it in a book & block out the timings needed as I do lots of treatments.

I Will also have 2-3 working with me so need a software system, also having peoples details will be more secure on a laptop for data protection

I personally wouldn't use an I pad as I don't think they are adaptable enough. I think a desk with a laptop or standard computer - if you have room - is ideal. I wouldn't look at the cheapest option for software. Like you, I wanted a simple system. The one I had was so simple I had to change it. Try and find something that will grow with your business. I went from just booking clients in to now having online booking, text reminders, text promotions, extra staff and so on. There is also a facility to block out certain equipment so you can't book 2 staff to use a specific machine by accident. Very important if there are a few of you. These things have really differentiated us from our competition and our clients love it. It has definitely helped to grow our business.

Hope that helps

Vicki x

Were are just changing from pen and paper to a laptop...i held off till the sales and got a good bargain :-D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like a laptop is ideal as you can bring it in when you're not in your cabin.
The best thing about Apple is iCloud which backs up your stuff and also their virus protection. Plus you don't get that annoying thing you get with Microsoft when you switch on and it downloads dozens of updates when you just want to get on with things

Squidge what are you using?

I will have a reception desk so will have room for a laptop

I use Salon Iris and have found it fantastic. I bought another software package and was so shocked at how totally c**p it was. I started with SI package that was one up from the basic. I just used it for just bookings initially, and text reminders. Texts are super cheap - about 4p each, so I now use them a lot for promos etc - you can target clients who use the skincare range or who haven't been for three months etc! I then introduced online bookings and I have my cloud back up with them. You can download a trial foc and see how you find it - it can be a little mind boggling at first - but every time I thought 'I wonder if it does.....' it did!!!

Vicki x

You might want to look at www.youreontime.com. As it is totally web based it will run on any laptop, Mac or PC. It will also work on an iPad but to be honest I think using a laptop is easier to use than a tablet no matter the software. Typing in client details or notes is much easier on a normal keyboard.

In the coming months I have a log cabin going up in my garden it's a big one & going to be like a proper salon

I have no idea yet what software I'm going to use to book clients in. I don't think I'm going to pay for a expensive one as it's just booking clients in I need.

I need to get a new laptop was going to get a computer with hard drive but at least at the end if each day I can bring it indoors with me. I didn't no if to get a Norman laptop or go crazy & get a apple mac but didn't no if it was with the expense for what I'm using it for

People have been saying get a IPad Air. I have a iPad already but if I was gong to go down this route then id get a new one just for business as mine has loads of Apps etc on it for my boys.

Do most software go with the apple products as I no that they don't support flash websites etc????

Hi Chelsea I just saw your post and I think that the online management system from BookingNest will work for you. It is entirely web-based and accessible on smartphones and tablets as well as computers. Hope this helps!

Marcus I'm UK based & would want a UK product

Thanks though

Squidge it's to expensive I don't want to pay out that sort of money

Yourontime is great value for money! Give it a try with their trial! :)

Latest posts

Back