What are your home set ups?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.mrsm

Reaction score
So far I’ve just been doing family and friends nails, but I’m all set up as a business now so I’m about to advertise to the public. I just wondered what are your home set ups? I was going to work from my kitchen, I have a round table and normally work to the side which seems fine, but would I be better getting a nail table. I had thought about a summer house in the garden but that’s an expensive outlay so early on. I just wondered what you all do as I don’t want to be mobile. TIA

Hiya. I have a nail station at home and would definitely recommend you get one instead of working from your kitchen table. It looks more professional and your work will be better quality if you and your client are sitting directly opposite each other. I have a table that half folds down so it just looks like a cabinet when not in use. I’ve also thought about a summer house, but like you think it’s too expensive for so early on. Hope that helps xx

Hiya. I have a nail station at home and would definitely recommend you get one instead of working from your kitchen table. It looks more professional and your work will be better quality if you and your client are sitting directly opposite each other. I have a table that half folds down so it just looks like a cabinet when not in use. I’ve also thought about a summer house, but like you think it’s too expensive for so early on. Hope that helps xx

Thank you, I have a small kitchen so I’m not sure if it might make it feel chlostraphobic or not. I do agree it would be better though. I have no where to store it either so that’s another consideration. It’s a tough one xx

I bought dedicated nail furniture (ergonomic chair, nail table, professional dust extractor, polish holders, qualifications in frames and insurance, framed nail designs etc) and set it up in a spare room I've got. It is now the dedicated "nail room".

I have a the fold away mobile table and I work out my kitchen too as I don’t have a spare room atm to do a nail room. I also looked into getting a summer house but no funds for one so I make do with what I have got. In my bedroom I do have a nail corner where I know all my stuff Is. But I am out growing it fast. I have 3 mobile trolleys full of nail stuff in my cupboard in my bedroom even under the bed is not free. I am hoping one day I will get my dream room in a few years fingers crossed. Hope this helps.

So I'm thinking bout doing nails from home, I have a few options which is good but not sure what to pick.
Option 1 spare room small with sofa in it but probably perfect size also it has a conservatory on it so on warner days I can open doors to vent room a little (there are no windows so colder days could mean room full of fumes)
Option 2 dining room it's the nicest decor option (I rent very out dated decor house) but I couldn't take dining table out so I would have to use it as work station also can' always have nail stuff lying around if people are coming over for dinner etc
Option 3 summer house in back garden perfect option accepts sometimes the heater trips the electrics (electrician overloaded it...idiot) so have to have extension cable going from house to summer house especially in colder months for a heater.... I live in Scotland and most months are cold hahaha
Im not too keen on mobile nails as means have to take kit every where (I have far too much stuff) plus need to incorprTe petrol costs into prices

Advice and opinions please ????

So I'm thinking bout doing nails from home, I have a few options which is good but not sure what to pick.
Option 1 spare room small with sofa in it but probably perfect size also it has a conservatory on it so on warner days I can open doors to vent room a little (there are no windows so colder days could mean room full of fumes)
Option 2 dining room it's the nicest decor option (I rent very out dated decor house) but I couldn't take dining table out so I would have to use it as work station also can' always have nail stuff lying around if people are coming over for dinner etc
Option 3 summer house in back garden perfect option accepts sometimes the heater trips the electrics (electrician overloaded it...idiot) so have to have extension cable going from house to summer house especially in colder months for a heater.... I live in Scotland and most months are cold hahaha
Im not too keen on mobile nails as means have to take kit every where (I have far too much stuff) plus need to incorprTe petrol costs into prices

I would go with option 3, summer house. Option 1 seems nice, but if you can't ventilate properly, that would be a big drawback... As for option 2, I would definitely not go with dining room, since it's more of a personal room, and also a dining table is just not a good work station or you or client. :)

I'd also go for option 3 but would definitely recommend getting an electrician in to sort out your overload problem for safety and peace of mind. I had the same problem in my garage conversion.

Only thing with option three is you have to check with the council planning dept they are ok with you working from a separate building from the house and you may have to pay business rates x

Only thing with option three is you have to check with the council planning dept they are ok with you working from a separate building from the house and you may have to pay business rates x

Only just thought about the fact as well that it can get warm in the summer house so that might mess with some of my nail products aswell
So many dilemmas lol

Only just thought about the fact as well that it can get warm in the summer house so that might mess with some of my nail products aswell
So many dilemmas lol
So I’ve found out apparently if it’s also used as a summer house, or play room I don’t think you have to pay business rates. It’s hard to know what to do, I’m actually thinking despite carrying my kit everywhere, mobile might actually be easier!

So I’ve found out apparently if it’s also used as a summer house, or play room I don’t think you have to pay business rates. It’s hard to know what to do, I’m actually thinking despite carrying my kit everywhere, mobile might actually be easier!
Or anything other than just a nail room!

Still thinking about this for you lol. I think your spare room sounds fab with the conservatory. You could invest in a fume extractor for when it’s cold and you can’t open windows. I have a dust and fume extractor x

Still thinking about this for you lol. I think your spare room sounds fab with the conservatory. You could invest in a fume extractor for when it’s cold and you can’t open windows. I have a dust and fume extractor x

I am starting with gel courses and hard gels to begin with so I'm thinking it won't create quite as much fumes as acrylic does so can see what best fits I am going to do mobile aswell but would rather do majority from home
Thanks for being so helpful if you come up with any other tips let me know

I am starting with gel courses and hard gels to begin with so I'm thinking it won't create quite as much fumes as acrylic does so can see what best fits I am going to do mobile aswell but would rather do majority from home
Thanks for being so helpful if you come up with any other tips let me know
You definitely can’t smell the gel vapours the same as the acrylic monomer, but they are still in the atmosphere, your still inhaling them so still worth a look at one of those extractors, as you need to keep the room ventilated when using these products. If you check the safety data sheets for the products you are using they will stipulate this x

I think this is the best and least expensive and safest option.

So far I’ve just been doing family and friends nails, but I’m all set up as a business now so I’m about to advertise to the public. I just wondered what are your home set ups? I was going to work from my kitchen, I have a round table and normally work to the side which seems fine, but would I be better getting a nail table. I had thought about a summer house in the garden but that’s an expensive outlay so early on. I just wondered what you all do as I don’t want to be mobile. TIA
I am just finishing up with my nail room and looking to have it licensed (in the U.S.!)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2175956982624677&id=1605100056377042

I’ve set up in a conservatory. It’s ideal in many ways; has its own loo, next door to the kitchen, preserves the privacy and security of the home, lots of ventilation and it overlooks a beautiful garden (my other half’s big hobby).
The down side is too much ambient UV light on bright days means I have to move my nail table to the shade of the kitchen if I’m using UV gels. I’m seriously toying with the idea of setting up a garden parasol inside the conservatory, in every other respect the true daylight is fab to work in so temporary shade that could be randomly positioned, depending on where the sun is, would be nicest.

Latest posts

Back