What are your rules?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxprincess

Reaction score
I need to set some boundaries for my booth renters. We work more like a commission salon in the way we all work together and what not. They have asked for rules. I feel like we are all adults and you know the kind of stuff you can do at work. What sort of rules do you have in your salons?

No mobile phones in treatment rooms or reception.

Swearing is a huge no, as is smoking in your uniform. If you want to smoke in your break then get changed first and then get changed back.

Arriving 15 minutes before your first appointment.

Strict rules on what you can and can't talk about with clients e.g.

No sex life or personal problems
No religion
No politics
No talking about the business

Strict rules about salon cleanliness and hygiene, therapists' personal appearance

There are loads.

Get the staff together and write up a code of conduct. Ultimately it's your salon so you have the final say on what goes in but staff appreciate being involved in the process and having the opportunity to put across their opinions.

The beauty of a code of conduct is that it can be added to and changed as the salon grows and evolves.

Just make sure you're willing to abide by everything on it yourself. There's nothing more annoying than a manager with a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

No mobile phones in treatment rooms or reception.

Swearing is a huge no, as is smoking in your uniform. If you want to smoke in your break then get changed first and then get changed back.

Arriving 15 minutes before your first appointment.

Strict rules on what you can and can't talk about with clients e.g.

No religion
No politics

Strict rules about salon cleanliness and hygiene, therapists' personal appearance

There are loads.

Get the staff together and write up a code of conduct. Ultimately it's your salon so you have the final say on what goes in but staff appreciate being involved in the process and having the opportunity to put across their opinions.

The beauty of a code of conduct is that it can be added to and changed as the salon grows and evolves.

Just make sure you're willing to abide by everything on it yourself. There's nothing more annoying than a manager with a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude.

Good luck

Could put a coat over their uniform when smoking.

Your far to harsh

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
No religion
No politics

That's a long day talking about the weather then. !!!! :wink2:

smoking is a tough one!

I'm a non smoker and I hate having a treatment carried out by someone who is a smoker. Sorry, they just reek of it......... Changing uniform, wearing coat etc won't make any difference to me. The smell is in their hair, on their skin etc.

It's happened to me a few times at beauty salons and I've never rebooked.

I'm also a non smoker and I hate it. I'm lucky not to have any smokers at the moment but obviously I can't discrimate if one of them was. Totally agree though.

No religion
No politics

That's a long day talking about the weather then. !!!! :wink2:

Haha I don't mind the clients talking about their problems/sex life. It's totally unprofessional for my girls to talk about theirs. They've come to make themselves feel better not to listen to their therapist moan on. That's not to say they can't talk about their personal life; holidays, friends, boyfriends, weekends, days out etc.

Religion and politics is non negotiable. We actually steer clients away from this if they get on to it. My opinions or the girls' opinions could massively offend a client, not necessarily the one you're conversing with either. It could be a lady sat in the waiting area while someone else is having their nails done. I don't want to lose clients.

Then the business thing really is more about the impression the clients have. I don't want them to know I've had a quiet two weeks or that I might be changing to a new product or treatment.

Anyway that's my reasoning behind it all lol we usually find more to talk about than the weather though!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

No sorry, it's not. I'm not losing clients because they stink of smoke. Are they going to want to put a coat on in the midst of summer??

I make it clear at interview that this is what they have to do if they are a smoker. I don't even ask if they are a smoker.

No sorry, it's not. I'm not losing clients because they stink of smoke. Are they going to want to put a coat on in the midst of summer??

I make it clear at interview that this is what they have to do if they are a smoker. I don't even ask if they are a smoker.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile

Coat or no coat. The smell on the hands and in their hair and on their breath is repulsive. With all the hand washing and all the mints you can eat it won't take the smell away.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile

Coat or no coat. The smell on the hands and in their hair and on their breath is repulsive. With all the hand washing and all the mints you can eat it won't take the smell away.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Again I completely agree but I'm not allowed, as an employer, to discriminate and purposely not employ smokers.

Hence why they have to get changed out of uniform to minimise the smell.

In any event I don't have any smokers at the moment.

Again I completely agree but I'm not allowed, as an employer, to discriminate and purposely not employ smokers.

You are entitled to ask potential employees if they smoke. Smoking can be classed as a threat to a business and is not discriminative. It is classed as an act of interest. It is your prerogative who you employ! Bear in mind smoking has become increasingly anti-social and is now often frowned upon and rejected by the majority.

I have 30+ employees.

Thank you for all the replies! Did I mention that I work with my sisters? Now as a big sister I have to have rules for my sisters to follow as well as the other booth renters. It's a little crazy!!

I'm not an employer but why should people that smoke get treat differently to those that don't just because they have a bad habit? In one job I had smokers got 2 15 minute breaks but non-smokers got 30 mins. I would have preferred two 15 minute breaks but wasn't allowed. wth?

Eta: This isn't directed at anyone, purely just a question!

For the interest of my business I feel employing smokers could potentially put clients off no matter how fabulous the therapists is. The thought of a member of staff hovering over them whilst performing an eyebrow shape just after a cigarette break eeeew. No amount of scrubbing and mouthwash can disguise that smell.
Im not an anti smoker out of work. I have a husband who smokes 20 aday. I do apologise if I offend anyone but this is what I feel is best for my business :)

I smoke, but only part time, I don't smoke at work, I have my email cig for then. I'm so conscious clients can smell it ad I can on them.

I had a member of staff who smoked and she smelt of it really badly.

Yet I had another who smoked roll ups and I couldn't smell it after 5 minutes.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Actually yes you are. By law you are allowed to advertise that you have a "no smoking policy" when recruiting. It is not seen as discrimination

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I meant to quote this not Virtues

Is A Policy Of Hiring Non-smokers Discriminatory?

The Human Rights Act 1993 ("the Act") prohibits employers from discrimination in employment based on a number of grounds contained in section 21 of the Act.1 For example, employers may not discriminate against applicants based on gender, religion or sexual orientation. However, smoking is not listed as one of the prohibited grounds. Thus, an employer is not prohibited from lawfully advertising for or employing only non-smoking applicants.

Consideration of international jurisdictions provides an indication that discrimination against smokers in the workplace may be increasingly acceptable. The European Commission recently urged member States to implement legislation providing protection from the effects of passive smoking within European workplaces. This indicates a move towards the acceptability of employers to discriminate against employing smokers.

Latest posts

Back