What bad nail advice have you heard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tech in the know : Dont file it off soak it off and start again...

Tech with alot to learn : oh yea i meant to ask.. the pads of my fingers are burning lately when i soak off.. is this normal?

Tech in the know : Umm no... are you using acetone or product remover?

Tech with alot to learn : Acetone

Tech in the know : Did you get it from your supplier?

Tech with alot to learn : Nah the shed

Tech in the know: where is that place.. never heard of it??

Tech with alot to learn : Its in my backyard!!

Tech in the know: Nooooooooooooo!! thats industrial strength!! get some from your supplier or a chemist or better yet spend the dosh on CND product remover!!

Tech with alot to learn : oh (enters shame faced smiley) woops!

OK my point is, YES i was taught to soak off in acetone.. i wasnt taught the difference between acetone.. having always bought from my supplier recently i ran out and after a quick look in the shed found a bottle.. i have soaked off two sets on myself with this stuff and oooweeee!!

not sure if it fits here but i had to share.. I and my fingerpads are extremely grateful to tech in the know! xxx

only use "X" brand acrylic ....what a crock ..... no products should have the balls to say this, many may spend millions on R&D, but there's new ****e all the time (many a direct copy of "X", even though it can't be stated, it's a fact, their "secret" formula is some one else's "secret" formula (it's not listed in MSDS, but many products are the same these days, no matter what anyone says otherwise....... "secrets" haven't been "secrets" for quite some time now, these days they all play their "secrets" off against one another when in fact many are identical (but due to their "secrets") nothing is revealed, when in fact their "secrets" are identical..... it's one of those legal loopholes, there is a leeway in MSDS that allows "secrets" to be the same, no matter what any manufacturer says, the "secret" is apparently a "secret" yet can legally be identical to anothers "secret" due to it's "secrecy" .....go figure.

This can only be argued by revealing "secrets" which no one wil do, therfore "secrets" are allowed to be legally identical. I know it sounds a mouthful, but no one will reveals their "secret", so no one can be discredited as everything is apparently a "secret".

only use "X" brand acrylic ....what a crock ..... no products should have the balls to say this, many may spend millions on R&D, but there's new ****e all the time (many a direct copy of "X", even though it can't be stated, it's a fact, their "secret" formula is some one else's "secret" formula (it's not listed in MSDS, but many products are the same these days, no matter what anyone says otherwise....... "secrets" haven't been "secrets" for quite some time now, these days they all play their "secrets" off against one another when in fact many are identical (but due to their "secrets") nothing is revealed, when in fact their "secrets" are identical..... it's one of those legal loopholes, there is a leeway in MSDS that allows "secrets" to be the same, no matter what any manufacturer says, the "secret" is apparently a "secret" yet can legally be identical to anothers "secret" due to it's "secrecy" .....go figure.

This can only be argued by revealing "secrets" which no one wil do, therfore "secrets" are allowed to be legally identical. I know it sounds a mouthful, but no one will reveals their "secret", so no one can be discredited as everything is apparently a "secret".
A fab post from Carl, made me grin from ear to ear!
xxx

its gel just like hair gel.. we all remember this one and I dont remember the link although it had A LOT more fun filled non facts portrayed as facts on this one.:lol::lol:

From the lips of a qualified nail technician deomnstraiting at a trade show and representing a very well known company

"we don't believe in putting acrylic on the nails due to the amount of damage it causes"

What do you think is in you gel dumbass??

:lol: here here!

Are we talking private label here or brands who manufacture their own products....or even private label with a tweak? Or all in the industry?

My nails are so strong cos i eat lots of jelly cubes...Client

I need to drink more milk cos i have milk spots...Client

They all fell off after a 2 weeks, what did she expect after 2 weeks...there only made to last a week an half .... Nail Tech

Customer: my nails just fell off, I dont know why, they dont usually (trying to get me to fix her nails for free)
Me: well by the looks of your skin on your arms and knees you dont usually fall off your moped either do you?
Duh, I must have mug written on my forhead

i just wondered what other 'pearls of wisdom' have you heard from either product companies, other tech or clients?

"I can't have sculpted nails, I have to have tips otherwize they all lift at the cuticle!!!" Client :rolleyes:

"Im sorry but I only do sculpted nails" Me .:evil:... bad Tech lying thro my teeth thinking 'I do not want you as a client if you know my job better than me'!!!!!

After reading one of the threads about the garbage that some sales/demonstrators were saying at the trade show, i just wondered what other 'pearls of wisdom' have you heard from either product companies, other tech or clients?

Here one to get you started, i don't want acrylic, i want gel as it does not damage my nails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the worst nail advice i have heard is "you have white spots on your nails . you are lacking calcium"

they are bruising to the nail not lack of calcium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst talking about nails to the girl washing my hair in the hairdresser's, which has an beauty room attached where they do enhancements.
"I just wear stick on nails"
Me - "You'd better watch. You've got your nails in water all day, if water goes under the adhesive, it could get trapped and cause problems."
"No, I think they are better for me than acrylics, because acrylic damages your nail."
Me- "It's not the acrylic that does this. If the tech isn't careful, you end up with your natural nail filed and that's what damages it."
"No, it's the acrylic, I've had them before."

I gave up at this point....

I heard this one a couple of months ago, before I even knew this forum. I was looking for places that did enhancements and I went to a very popular franchise in my country that only does gels (but I didn't know they only worked with gels). I asked the tech who was there if they worked with acrylics. The girl told me, and I quote "No, we don't. But I really advise against acrylics. They are too harsh on the nail...you know the acrylics that are put in cars? It's *exactly* the same thing. It is so strong it takes a very very harsh chemical liquid to remove it! The nails get completely damaged!"

At the time, I didn't know better, but if it was today, she's have a geek answer coming her way! Maybe she was thinking about MMA, but still... she should know better that l&p does not mean MMA. (No, I didn't get my nails done there. Too expensive and they use e-file directly on the nail plate. Eeeek!)

Oh, I forgot one! The first time I put gel on, I went to a lady who did a horrible, horrible job! (Later on I thought she probably just bought a IBD set with the instructional DVD and thought she could do it... honest). I asked her if she sculpted or used tips (I got gel over my natural nails and we were already halfway through the process). She looked at me very puzzled and asked "Tips? What is that?". Well, I tried explaining it to her, she still didn't get it. Then, I saw a box of tips on her desk, pointed at them and said that those were tips. She answered me with a very serious look on her face "Those aren't tips. They are fake nails". When I got up to leave, I could clearly read that the box said "Perfect french tips"...

I went into a local nail bar recently as they where advertising for nail techs, curiosity got the better of me and I went in,
the tech (owner) who has been in the bizz for years said I only allow gel to be used and only my gel (unknown brand) I hate acrylics hate the smell and everything about the product, ok I said are you using false - glue on nails then,.. no only gel...but gel is acrylic and you said you can't stand the product...no it isn't gel is gel..I then promptly left.:)

You shouldn't have nail extensions, they ruin your nails... (beauty therapist) :lol:

A lovely hairdresser who is 6 months preggy...... hanging out at my table... sad face... said "I wish I could have my nails done".. Me "why cant you?" ... "because apparently its bad for me and baby" .... me "who told you that!?!" ... "one of the other girls here (CND Tech)" .. Me "well they are wrong, you certainly CAN have your nails done, nothing here will harm you OR baby - I as a tech am safe to work with these products while preggy so you certainly are ... Lovely hairdresser "*Huge SMILE* can you do my nails for me please!!!" .. .poor chook was misinformed by a silly tech who should know better and was denied the chance to have her nails looking Fabulous!

Friend-Ive had perminant nail varnish its organic and doesnt hurt the nail
Me-its very shiny (can see its gel) did you just paint it on
Friend-no they put it on then put it under a light.
Me-the same light they would use for gel
Friend-yeh just paint it on and put it under and its done-permanent
Me-Oh right........:lol:

I am in training and did a full set of L & P french on a friend as practice. I told her that I would like to hear back how they had lasted and any probs for future reference. I saw her three days later and she had picked them all off because 'they make my nails claustrophobic'
I thought this was original

A lovely hairdresser who is 6 months preggy...... hanging out at my table... sad face... said "I wish I could have my nails done".. Me "why cant you?" ... "because apparently its bad for me and baby" .... me "who told you that!?!" ... "one of the other girls here (CND Tech)" .. Me "well they are wrong, you certainly CAN have your nails done, nothing here will harm you OR baby - I as a tech am safe to work with these products while preggy so you certainly are ... Lovely hairdresser "*Huge SMILE* can you do my nails for me please!!!" .. .poor chook was misinformed by a silly tech who should know better and was denied the chance to have her nails looking Fabulous!

When I started to train several years ago at college. It came to exam time and got told that i couldn't do it as i was 3 mths pregnant. And as they weren't covered by the insurance then i couldn't take my exam. So had to give up and wait to do my course all with them once I'd had the baby. So that was another 10 mths wasted waiting around.:grr:

This was told to me by my teacher while training:
Me: "Why do nailplate sometimes get the hot feeling under the uv light?"
Teacher: "Its the builder gel that HEATS up the base gel, thats why."

One customer coming for a rebalance:
" I helped you, i took the old ones off..."

Told by a customer:
" First time getting gels they did hurt like hell. It was the liquid the last nailtech used before applying gel. When i asked why does it hurt, the tech sayd because it has to otherwise the gel wount stick!"

a world class nail tech blew on my nail at a show stand to dry the acrylic :eek:
at two different shows educators from the same international company (when ?removing the shine from my nail prior to applying gel) said 'i'm removing the top 3 to 5 layers of nail ':eek:
an educator from an international company , when i was talking about soak off vs buff off gel said 'its not a true gel'( re the soak off product):!:

Latest posts

Back