What bad nail advice have you heard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive heard the usual

acrylic damages your nail (client)
my nails need to breath (client)
xx

I once had a clent who was very persistant that it could not possibly be gel I was using on her nails (on her 2nd infill app!), as her niece (currently studying beauty therapy), had informed her gel was a liquid and powder mixed, and only acrylics used UV lamp. She was concerned I was minipulating her into having acrylics because they are very easy to apply at a minmal cost to the therapist????????

Client - "My nails don't grow......."
(like , not at all....ever?) Hmmmm.

I am a beginner....and because what i learned at courses(40 hours- manicure pedicure and enhancements gel ,l&p) was nothing ,i practicaly learned all from the begining using your advises,tutorials,etc,here.:)
Last week i went to a salon advertising for a manicurist(i am not a nail tech ...yet),and she wanted me to prepare a set nails for refill.they were l&p, aplied by her and after a week they were lifting , i started to fill but she stoped me ,explaining that i lose time like this and she clipped them off with the cuticle nipper:irked:....and also she insisted that we have to cut the cuticles,and that is pointless to let the living tissue ,because it will make only more cuticles on the nail plate:eek:

only use "X" brand acrylic ....what a crock ..... no products should have the balls to say this, many may spend millions on R&D, but there's new ****e all the time (many a direct copy of "X", even though it can't be stated, it's a fact, their "secret" formula is some one else's "secret" formula (it's not listed in MSDS, but many products are the same these days, no matter what anyone says otherwise....... "secrets" haven't been "secrets" for quite some time now, these days they all play their "secrets" off against one another when in fact many are identical (but due to their "secrets") nothing is revealed, when in fact their "secrets" are identical..... it's one of those legal loopholes, there is a leeway in MSDS that allows "secrets" to be the same, no matter what any manufacturer says, the "secret" is apparently a "secret" yet can legally be identical to anothers "secret" due to it's "secrecy" .....go figure.

Can't believe I missed this post before! A company will test for patent and copyright infringement constantly and follow up with legal action accordingly. Just because you don't see it plastered across the front page doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Most manufacturers won't tread on each others formulations for this very reason.

However, the fact is that most product lines emanate from the same manufacturer and R&D location. Those will most likely share many traits, but not with other manufacturers.

Furthermore, those of you who think an MSDS sheet is a recipe card need to think again :) for instance, apart from 'proprietary and low percentage ingredients, you may find things like EMA, however there are close to 30 types of EMA used in our industry.

Hope that helps clarify the above thought process.

nJoy!

'i'd like gel nails please'

me- 'ok have you had enhancements before'

'no but my friend told me gel is better for your nails'

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

The following things have been said to me by a creative l&P master nail tech

"dont use too much solar oil it causes lifting"

"we need to grow your nails so we can use nice white tips, they are much kinder to your nails"

"I shall sell you this for £4 *produces speed bond* because you are prone to lifting and I am on holiday for 3 weeks"

these things were said to me after I started training with cnd

"Oh I do sculpts freehand........I dont use forms"
(isnt that just natural nail overlays??????!!)

"whats cuticle remover? I expect its all changed now I didnt use anything like that when I trained 6 years ago"

"Scrub fresh?????? is that like nail polish remover"

yup are you all as shocked as me?
I have more

"I defy anyone to do a nail on you and it wont lift,I bet even *names cnd educator* cant stop your nails lifting"

" I dont believe anyone can get a smooth finish when using gel its impossible"

cnd l&p master to client

" I have been in the industry for 8 years and I have my masters degree in nails":eek::eek:

'i'd like gel nails please'

me- 'ok have you had enhancements before'

'no but my friend told me gel is better for your nails'

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:
This is the one I hear from nearly every client ahhhhhhhh hahaha. I am sat there all ready to hear this comment when someone asks for gels.

here you go prime example!!!!

uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080229142733AAgtLhH

here you go prime example!!!!

uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080229142733AAgtLhH

Perfect example, how did you come across that?

I was once asked about my jelly nails and if they were strong ....:lol:

I also got asked if i can put some gel over the nails that makes them stronger but doesn't need infills...???....(if only i could stop nails growing, wouldn't that be fab...:lol:)

Sorry have to mention Acetone is the same stuff weather you buy it in a chemist or a DIY shop...........ITS ACETONE!!!!

Sorry have to mention Acetone is the same stuff weather you buy it in a chemist or a DIY shop...........ITS ACETONE!!!!

is this your statement or from someone else?

I was once asked about my jelly nails and if they were strong ....:lol:

I also got asked if i can put some gel over the nails that makes them stronger but doesn't need infills...???....(if only i could stop nails growing, wouldn't that be fab...:lol:)
Bagpuss, i'm intrigued, what do your jelly nails look like? Don't think ive seen them before.

Stevie

Bagpuss, i'm intrigued, what do your jelly nails look like? Don't think ive seen them before.

Stevie

are you kiddin me...?? :)

Perfect example, how did you come across that?

i have been looking for some images of nails damaged by bad techs, drills and mma i stumbled on some gross stuff i tell ya and this, its done wonders for my diet today!!!!!:green:

1.Recently Rio Nails were on QVC, one rep said she likes the tips because they are thicker making them stronger!

2.Watching the demo on QVC of the Rio Nails application. No nail prep! no cleansing of the nail!

3. I wish i had a pound for every person who said to me "the acrylic ruined my nails"....Ahhhh!

Latest posts

Back