What bad nail advice have you heard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksmoores

Reaction score
After reading one of the threads about the garbage that some sales/demonstrators were saying at the trade show, i just wondered what other 'pearls of wisdom' have you heard from either product companies, other tech or clients?

Here one to get you started, i don't want acrylic, i want gel as it does not damage my nails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The classic -

"My nails need to breath..."

It's organic...:lol:

It's organic...:lol:

it can be though, organic is such a loose term.. if its 'carbon based' technically its of organic nature.

it can be though, organic is such a loose term.. if its 'carbon based' technically its of organic nature.

Organic tends to make me think of a yoghurt that will be really good for you though...carbon based just doesn't have the same ring to it..:lol:

Organic tends to make me think of a yoghurt that will be really good for you though...carbon based just doesn't have the same ring to it..:lol:

Thats my point.. "organic" is an umbrella term. in society today we see organic as... my vegies were grown with no spray.. but we forget that we our selfs are also classed as Organic organisms

But just look at how far that "umbrella" extends its mind boggling

1.noting or pertaining to a class of chemical compounds that formerly comprised only those existing in or derived from plants or animals, but that now includes all other compounds of carbon.

2.characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms: organic remains found in rocks.

3.of or pertaining to an organ or the organs of an animal, plant, or fungus.

4.of, pertaining to, or affecting living tissue: organic pathology.

5.Psychology. caused by neurochemical, neuroendocrinologic, structural, or other physical impairment or change: organic disorder.Compare functional (def. 5).

6.Philosophy. having an organization similar in its complexity to that of living things.

7.characterized by the systematic arrangement of parts; organized; systematic: elements fitting together into a unified, organic whole.

8.of or pertaining to the basic constitution or structure of a thing; constitutional; structural: The flaws in your writing are too organic to be easily remedied.

9.developing in a manner analogous to the natural growth and evolution characteristic of living organisms; arising as a natural outgrowth.

10.viewing or explaining something as having a growth and development analogous to that of living organisms: an organic theory of history.

11.pertaining to, involving, or grown with fertilizers or pesticides of animal or vegetable origin, as distinguished from manufactured chemicals: organic farming; organic fruits.

12.Law. of or pertaining to the constitutional or essential law or laws of organizing the government of a state.

13.Architecture. noting or pertaining to any work of architecture regarded as analogous to plant or animal forms in having a structure and a plan that fulfill perfectly the functional requirements for the building and that form in themselves an intellectually lucid, integrated whole.

14.Fine Arts. of or pertaining to the shapes or forms in a work of art that are of irregular contour and seem to resemble or suggest forms found in nature. –noun

15.a substance, as a fertilizer or pesticide, of animal or vegetable origin.

A client once said. 'I dont want gel nicki, my nails need acrylic as this is stronger and all the media rave this way' I found this an odd response.

Sorry Kerry to highjack your thread:hug: but I have to say that regarding the whole "organic" thing...we tend to believe what we read until it has been proved otherwise.
Take for instance..Detox Foot Patches I wore these and SAW the stuff that appeared to come out of my foot after wearing one...OMG I badly needed those patches but then I applied one to my 6 year old daughters foot to see what happened...bear in mind she doesn't drink, smoke, have late nights, eat a cr*ppy diet like I sometimes do..and you know what?
Those patches were just the same on her.
The power of marketing...amazing sometimes.

Bad advice I have received as a new tech include:

Olive oil is just as effective as solar oil (on this site!!)

(the classic) Acrylic damages your nails as it prevents them from breathing (said by a qualified beauty therapist)

You dont actually need to use scrubfresh, its Creatives way of getting you to buy more products (from a client, "so they had heard" apparently).

Thats my point.. "organic" is an umbrella term. in society today we see organic as... my vegies were grown with no spray.. but we forget that we our selfs are also classed as Organic organisms

But just look at how far that "umbrella" extends its mind boggling

1.noting or pertaining to a class of chemical compounds that formerly comprised only those existing in or derived from plants or animals, but that now includes all other compounds of carbon.

2.characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms: organic remains found in rocks.

3.of or pertaining to an organ or the organs of an animal, plant, or fungus.

4.of, pertaining to, or affecting living tissue: organic pathology.

5.Psychology. caused by neurochemical, neuroendocrinologic, structural, or other physical impairment or change: organic disorder.Compare functional (def. 5).

6.Philosophy. having an organization similar in its complexity to that of living things.

7.characterized by the systematic arrangement of parts; organized; systematic: elements fitting together into a unified, organic whole.

8.of or pertaining to the basic constitution or structure of a thing; constitutional; structural: The flaws in your writing are too organic to be easily remedied.

9.developing in a manner analogous to the natural growth and evolution characteristic of living organisms; arising as a natural outgrowth.

10.viewing or explaining something as having a growth and development analogous to that of living organisms: an organic theory of history.

11.pertaining to, involving, or grown with fertilizers or pesticides of animal or vegetable origin, as distinguished from manufactured chemicals: organic farming; organic fruits.

12.Law. of or pertaining to the constitutional or essential law or laws of organizing the government of a state.

13.Architecture. noting or pertaining to any work of architecture regarded as analogous to plant or animal forms in having a structure and a plan that fulfill perfectly the functional requirements for the building and that form in themselves an intellectually lucid, integrated whole.

14.Fine Arts. of or pertaining to the shapes or forms in a work of art that are of irregular contour and seem to resemble or suggest forms found in nature. –noun

15.a substance, as a fertilizer or pesticide, of animal or vegetable origin.

isnt www.dictionary.reference.com great :) but what do you know in relation to nail products and organic

My nails are so strong cos i eat lots of jelly cubes...Client

I need to drink more milk cos i have milk spots...Client

They all fell off after a 2 weeks, what did she expect after 2 weeks...there only made to last a week an half .... Nail Tech

My nails are so strong cos i eat lots of jelly cubes...Client

I need to drink more milk cos i have milk spots...Client

They all fell off after a 2 weeks, what did she expect after 2 weeks...there only made to last a week an half .... Nail Tech
PMSL:lol::lol::lol:

"its nice to have nails free of colour so they can breathe"-Journalist

"acrylics damage the nail"-client

These expressions make me cringe inside:rolleyes:

"Our product is totally without chemicals"

C.

In college during rebalance assesments I overheard a fellow student telling her client (she was her friend)
"after this we'll take them off and let your nails breathe for a bit",
I couldn't stop myself from saying "why? Why do they need 'to breathe'!!" This wasn't anything we'd been taught so no idea why she said it!

OOH OOH I HAVE ONE! Got it from a trade show educator...

I actually TOLD this to a client (EMBARRASSED SHEEPISH FACE)

"Your nails are smart, and know how heavy they need to be, so when you get your nails done, and you put more weight on them, they grow out thinner to compensate."

Oh and one more, and no I didn't repeat this one, although I think mine was worse:

"When you put acrylic or gel on your nails they stop producing Keratin."

I think this was on one of those "ASK BEAUTY" sites, and got linked up to it from here in another thread lol. Then I believe a good dozen of us went over and pummeled the thread lololol...

Aye yai yai.

acrylic will damage your nails?
I have been told this many many many times, however the ones who say this always want m to do their nails in the end!

"Our product is totally without chemicals"

Isn't that the best? As though 'chemicals' is a bad word.
Even oxygen and H2O are chemicals....

A lady told me that she didnt get her nails done because her nails rejects the acrylic :eek:

Latest posts

Back