What brand of gel should I go for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennaBrown

Reaction score
Hi guys.
thinking of starting doing gels at home. Gel polish. I work at a salon and I do shellac. Very happy with it. Weve had some hara and gelluv polish there nice. I have heard of loads though and wanted to no which one to go for as its driving me mad trying to decide!!
sensationail

Gellish
Halo
Mylee
Orly
Essie
Blue sky

Please use a professional brand as 3 on that list are not professional brands

Personally none of those would be on my list, im swaying between CND and TGB x

INK London or Ikon.Iq

Both are professional only brands, manufactured in the EU, with an education programme (and also both have their own chemist).

Ikon.iq is hypoallergenic and HEMA free also.

As tempting as it often is, don't just opt for a brand with the most choice of colours and effects. Delve deeper into where they are produced, who they sell to, whether they sell the complete system including a lamp and what sort of education they offer.

I work on different products as neonail has great base coat, and nice red shades of color, TNL (russian brand) has fantastic cover base coats, f.o.x. and Grattol has great pigment colors, victoria vynn no wipe top is great. I disagree on working same brand. Clients dont care anyway. I order a lot from Russia - much cheaper and great quality.

Tbh if I didn’t use cnd I’d use ink London.

INK London or Ikon.Iq

Both are professional only brands, manufactured in the EU, with an education programme (and also both have their own chemist).

Ikon.iq is hypoallergenic and HEMA free also.

As tempting as it often is, don't just opt for a brand with the most choice of colours and effects. Delve deeper into where they are produced, who they sell to, whether they sell the complete system including a lamp and what sort of education they offer.

Hello I only use CND shellac and was also thinking of trying another brand but it’s such a mindfield!
Would anyone recommend any other gel polishes? X

Ikon.iQ all the way for me!

Think of it this way, if you are going to handle a product on a daily basis wouldn’t you want it to be one least likely to damage your health?

It’s alarming to see how many companies are popping up that have really polished marketing but actually just buy in their products from Chinese wholesalers and have different branded packaging.

Be aware that in China there are zero safety regulations on Gel ingredients and the risk of you, or one of your clients, developing an allergy are increased dramatically. The highest incidence of allergy has been seen in the DIY market... using gels from Amazon, eBay etc. They all come from China.

Now that ‘pro’ brands are being presented that come from the same place, the logic is that there is going to be an increase in reactions seen in trained nail techs. The wholesalers are also adept at providing misleading mSDS data to hide the high HEMA content in particular so it’s a real mine field.

Until this state of affairs changes I would restrict your choices to products manufactured in the USA or EU where exacting regulatory safety criteria must be met. If you invest a fortune in training and setting up a business, it’s a good plan these days, to do a bit of research to ensure you will be able to operate long enough to reap the rewards rather than end up being allergic to your stock in trade.

Hello, I was exclusively CND Shellac but I felt under pressure to offer longer lasting nails. I moved products and had an amazing two years of having long lasting products. Following all the online rumours regarding some products not being manufactured in the EU and containing ingredients that can lead to allergies I have made the decision to switch. As far as I can see CND Shellac is hypoallergenic and contains no nasties but for me I couldn’t go back to using Shellac. Having sampled some different products and stalking the internet I have settled on Ink London, I really like their ethos, if you join their face book group so much positive information they have their own chemist who can answer questions about their own products. There is a really interesting post on Hema that was very informative. They are also cruelty free and vegan which is important to me.

Latest posts

Back