What brush for coloured powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathie!

Reaction score
Just starting out using these (EZ Flow) and find my usual size 8 brush may be a little on the large size.

So, was just wondering what brushes anyone else uses.

I've been doing flowers...that's as far as I've got so far.

Look forward to hearing from you.

nails@42ndstreet said:
Just starting out using these (EZ Flow) and find my usual size 8 brush may be a little on the large size.

Why dont you send Talented Talons a PM coz she's into 3d nail art and works with the ezflow colour powders. See what she uses but i think she still works with the size 8. I guess that you could do worse than trying a smaller brush: Star Nails minor is a size 5 and only £5ish + VAT so wouldnt be a huge mistake if you werent happy with it. ;)

Thanks Carole. I'll get one next time I'm at the wholesalers.

My size 8 is ok but I just can't get the petals small enough. I'm going for less of the 3D and more for the encapsulated, I want the patals flatter but still have some definition and movement to them, which I'm finding difficult even with the brush in the smallest point I can get, if you see what I mean!

I guess as with all things it's practice, practice, practice!!

nails@42ndstreet said:
Thanks Carole. I'll get one next time I'm at the wholesalers.

My size 8 is ok but I just can't get the petals small enough. I'm going for less of the 3D and more for the encapsulated, I want the patals flatter but still have some definition and movement to them, which I'm finding difficult even with the brush in the smallest point I can get, if you see what I mean!

I guess as with all things it's practice, practice, practice!!
I dont think you can go wrong with getting the brush i mentioned coz its so cheap!! Let me know how you get on? I'm waiting to see some of your designs ;)

Designs...that's a new word for them. I call them abstracts lol!!!

Hiya Cathy,
I do 3d work with ez-flow powders and I use a ultra Sculptor brush which is very large. I feel that if you use a small brush you won't get the same effect, because the brush seems to mark the acrylic more and leaves lines etc.
HTHS

Thanks Lesley I will keep trying!

nails@42ndstreet said:

There is a US company that makes specialty brushes, but you must order in dozens as they are a whole sale company, but the brushes are very nice an available in any size imagineable. They also make regular nail art and gel brushes.

The company is TREKELL + COMPANY, INC. Po Box 1239 Dayton, Nevada 89403 USA the phone is 1.800.378.3867, I know they would send a flyer. The prices were very reasonable- I don't know the exchange rate, but a #6 round or oval is $1.80-

for all my acrylic work (thats design sculpture and normal pink and white) use my #508 brush
a good thing to do when you pick up a small bead is to remove some of the excess liquid from your brush i find that some times the bead can be a little wet and this gives me more control of the product
if you are having problems with trying to give the flower petal definition it could be that you mite be working to slow
you could also apply a small bead like when doing flower centres and then flatten it with your brush to make a small petal (hopefully that makes sense)
the only other thing i'd recommend is that you maybe look into doing a design sculpt work shop to improve your techniques and give them a wee twick where you need it

Jess
xox

Thank you Jess. And thanks for everyone's advice. As I say, I will keep trying. It does make sense to have one brush for all things, then you've only got one to look after...I can be so lazy.

I think at the moment my designs would need a bit more than a wee tweek!LOL

I have a range of brushes of different shapes and sizes. I must say that the best bursh for nail art is a size 4 oval round. It has enough snap in it to flatten the petals and doesn't store too much liquid in it. Try to work very dry.Place the "non- fully absorbed" bead on the nail and touch it with your brush. The wet brush will add more liquid to the bead and make it polymerise. If the bead is not round, try to shape it round using light touches while still wet. Let it sit for 2 seconds before flattening it.

By the way, using a small brush can add more details to petals beause it holds less liquid and doesn't "self level" the details you make.

nails@42ndstreet said:

i use a smaller brush from the wholesaler £5 it does the job a treat.

Attachments

• 3dgeek.jpg
    3dgeek.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 3dtipcrop1.jpg
    3dtipcrop1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 58
Gracy they are absolutely lovely. :biggrin: I love the one with the bee. Have not tried to do anything like this yet but hopefully one day I will get the hang of it

They're great Dawn...I think having a try with a smaller brush is definately the order of the day!

gracy said:
i use a smaller brush from the wholesaler £5 it does the job a treat.

Fab work Dawwwwwwwwwwn I'm loving it lol

thankyou, i am still trying to get it right.

Latest posts

Back