what can i claim for being mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeawallace

Reaction score
I am trying to work out my accounts and have been told i can claim 40p a mile petrol to get to my clients, i was also told i could claim thing s like washing of towels phone etc etc but i dont have the foggiest how much these things would actually cost..

Any one have any advise on what i can actually claim for and how much

Thanks

Jane x

If you claim 10% of bills that should cover your costs and not make the Revenue want to look at it further.In theory you can claim all of it, however you will find that the Revenue simply tax you on it next year. Unless you work solely from home all day long 10% should be more than adequate for you to claim back. HTH's hun

hi sorry to be thick as i no completely nothing about tax etc. when you say bills do you mean 10% of petrol for example?? 10% phone bills?? how would i know what 10% washing towels etc would be.

sorry if i sound dim maths was never my thing lol

This is a tricky one cos I too would like to start claiming for washing of towels.

Don't forget to buy your washing powder, conditioner and tumble drier sheets on a separate receipt so you can claim those back.

I think I worked out that I claimed back more than 10% of my phone bill, but I also claim back for internet too as use it mostly for research and salon geeking!

I also claim back for MOT, parts and repairs, tax, insurance, parking.

Obviously any products used.

Photocopying, stamps, envelopes, business cards, etc.

Printer cartridges for the printer.

Website and domain name.

Courses, insurance and professional membership, books, magazines, uniforms, couch paper.

Mobile phone useage.

If i were you hun i would get myself a good accountant, they may cost but i'm sure you'll get more back in the long run.

I also claim back for MOT, parts and repairs, tax, insurance, parking.

The 40p per mile covers the maintenance of your car - if you claim separtely for all of the above you will be claiming twice.....

The Inland Revenue do some really good workshops which cover all the things you are entitled to claim for......

I don't do the 40p per mile thingy.
I put all my car expenses down on an excel sheet and my accountant knows what % of that and phone and stuff to take off from that.

I don't do the 40p per mile thingy.
I put all my car expenses down on an excel sheet and my accountant knows what % of that and phone and stuff to take off from that.

Aaahhh, I see!! I do the 40p per mile way - it's easier that way for me!! The Inland Rebenue say it's one way or the other but not both!!!

thats OK.
before I got an accountant, I used to do it myself, and I worked out a % on how much I used the car for work. I worked the percentage out by keeping a log of 2 months of all the miles I did for work only.
Not sure if it is 100% accurate, but now feel happier having an accountant doing it for me.

would really like to know about the electricity etc for washig towels.
I have considered sending them out as then at least you have an invoice.

Think the hairdresser pays about £6 per bag.

thanks Izzy, missed that one!

Thanks for all your advise

Do you know if you have to pay for the IR self employment courses?? and are they any good ie worth while x

Do you know if you have to pay for the IR self employment courses?? and are they any good ie worth while x

No I don't think you need to pay...and they are extremely informative and helpful.

Thx for that think i will get an accountant and get on a course

x

Hi

Claim for everything which could feasably be used for your business. You will need receipts and cannot make things up as you could have your accounts/tax return checked.
I always put through washing powder and softener, percentage of bills at home as I am mobile, 40p per mile for 1st 10,000 miles, mobile phone bill, stationary, postage etc. Best thing to do is speak to a small business adviser , business link or a Book Keeper for your 1st couple of years until you know what you are doing. I tried to do things on my own for my 1st year and go advice from everyone and most of it turned out to be hearsay and I had to hire a book keeper and re do a full years books. Now I use her annually, I keep my books with her advise and she does my tax return (worth every penny)

nope they are free, they rang me b4 xmas just after i registered wiht them and offered me one, im going on one on 29th jan, spoke to a few people and theyve said they are very worth while ,

ring your local IR and ask when and where your next one is hun, might be worth you getting on one

hths

Yes thx for that, need to get myself sorted

thx

xx

Latest posts

Back