What can I do to KEEP my hair straight?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georginaleigh

Reaction score
i find that not drying it with a hair dryer helps a bit.
it will sometimes stay straight for a while the day after i wash it.
i have naturally curly, sort of frizzy hair.
i have lots of short strands that frizz out.
i use ghd's, and they keep it straight for a while, but it normally poofs out.
i'm sick of keeping my hair up all the time.
are there any products i could use, or different straighteners?
my hair is really thick, if that makes any difference.

have you tried blow drying it with a big round brush, with the nozzle pointing downwards??

yeah, i can't blow dry my hair properly, so my mum has done it for me, and straightened it also but it still didn't stay straight.
i realize my hair may flick at some points because of the length and where it rests on my shoulders etc, but it goes poofy and frizzy also.

what products do you use??

i find that not drying it with a hair dryer helps a bit.
it will sometimes stay straight for a while the day after i wash it.
i have naturally curly, sort of frizzy hair.
i have lots of short strands that frizz out.
i use ghd's, and they keep it straight for a while, but it normally poofs out.
i'm sick of keeping my hair up all the time.
are there any products i could use, or different straighteners?
my hair is really thick, if that makes any difference.

Hi, welcome to salon geek ,
why not go to a professional hairdresser and whilst she is doing your hair ask her for a few tips on maintaining your hair at home.

They can also recommend the right products for you to use they may also be able to recommend a relaxer or straightening treatment (depending on you hair type and your consultation) :hug: x

PS do they do hair at your college ? you may be able to book in for a blow dry ask them about a hair relaxing treatment there ?

what products do you use??
none at the moment because i haven't found any that work.

i tried a straightening serum that you put on when you hair is damp and don't wahs out, but it didn't work.

its the products thet stop your hair from frizzing....they coat the hair, so the more product the more coating your hair will have, which stops anything getting through to cause the frizz.....once you find the best products..that will be your answer, if you arent using any products its like going out in the rain without a hood or brolly...youll get wet.....
go see your hairdresser, explain the problem and she will have the knowledge to sort out products for you xxxxx

As someone who suffers from difficult-to-keep-straight hair, could I suggest that you also ask your hairdresser to show you ways to wear your hair that don't involve straightening and which products to use for that? I like my hair straightened but lifes's much simpler if your hair looks good when it's not straightened too! Stops you getting bored with your look too!

try "sexy hair concepts soya want flat hair" that stuff will straighten anything and keep it straight. You use it with staighteners, just mist on and straighten. Hair then feels solid but when you brush it through is is silky and straight and stays that way

to the above poster, that stuff sounds good!
if i googled it, would i be able to find it?

&& mcmog; i would love to just leave my hair from drying.
everyone says it looks really good when i don't straighten, because it's all curly.
only problem is is the frizz!

to the above poster, that stuff sounds good!
if i googled it, would i be able to find it?

&& mcmog; i would love to just leave my hair from drying.
everyone says it looks really good when i don't straighten, because it's all curly.
only problem is is the frizz!

Hi geoginaliegh , I think it will be available from a professional salon ,
perhaps Jonathon will let you know what Salons stock it and if there is one near to you .
Otherwise that would be such a big tease lol :hug: x minky

you said you cant blow dry your hair your mum has to do it . I have curly hair and i use a brush which is a hair dryer i got it froom boots i find it useful because you just dry it the same way as you brush it .i find it /it straightens it better :)

Hi,

I'm not a hairdresser but I have curly unruly hair and have found that some hair salons offer a treatment from brazil- some kind of keratise progressiver. I have it done to my hair, it lasts three months and is an absolute godsend. You have it put in your hair while at the salon, they straighten your hair you leave it in for three days. You cant wash or tie up your hair. You may need to use your straighteners for those three days to keep it straight. But then after your third day wash your hair and then all you have to do for the next 3 months is blowdry. No intense straightening needed. This product is great to your hair and doesn't damage it as much as the yuko straintening system and doesn't cost as much!!

Please go check it out, it saved my hair and my life!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a hairdresser either, just a huge fan of all things hair-related. Aside from what has been said, I found that the "wrapping" technique that a lot of women with "ethnic" hair tend to use works really well. What you do is wrap your hair around your head (over night) and wear a silk scarf over it to ensure that hair stays straight/flat while you sleep. This way, you needn't use flat irons and straighten as often (saving your hair the needless stress and heat damage).

Hi geoginaliegh , I think it will be available from a professional salon ,
perhaps Jonathon will let you know what Salons stock it and if there is one near to you .
Otherwise that would be such a big tease lol :hug: x minky

By putting "sexy hair concepts soya want flat hair" into Google you should find several sites that stock this product, including salonlines.

Or next time you are out and about pop into a few salons and ask about it.

Hi,
my daughter has very thick, wavy hair
A few years ago, when GHDs were just coming out, my sister (a hairdresser) rfecommended she got a GHD straightening treatment (like a perm without the rollers) and it worked well. She hasn't had another as the structure of her hair has changed slightly as she's got older - she's now 17 - and it's not just as wiry and coarse as it used to be. It didn't straighten it totally - just relaxed it and made it easier to style.
HTH

hi,ghd hot iron spray is gud,either on wet or dry hair b4 straightening. also aussie frizz control treament is gud at frizzy hair.

The best way to get striaght hair is with a professional hairdryer, buy the best you can afford, with a small nozzle. this directs the heat down hair shaft.

also buy a massive round brush, this helps to straighten the hair too, but it takes practice.

I have wavy frizy hair and so i had to learn and practice to use this tools for myself. Perservere and in the end you will get there. :)

The best thing I have found is Liquid Texture by White Sands. You can only purchase from a salon. It's the best stuff I have ever found!!!

Latest posts

Back