What can I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannessaann

Reaction score
I've just found out my friend who's a barber (I'm only a junior but he's my friend outside work too) is not only not paying tax whilst telling the salon owner he is self employed but he also has no insurance. As he does wet shaves so has a razor close to the carotid veins and also does cuts on children. Personally I find this irresponsible. What would happen if he gets caught for no tax? Would they blame the salon owner too. And what would happen if he cut someone and they sued?
I know there is no regs in the uk but seriously this is silly.

I've just found out my friend who's a barber (I'm only a junior but he's my friend outside work too) is not only not paying tax whilst telling the salon owner he is self employed but he also has no insurance. As he does wet shaves so has a razor close to the carotid veins and also does cuts on children. Personally I find this irresponsible. What would happen if he gets caught for no tax? Would they blame the salon owner too. And what would happen if he cut someone and they sued?
I know there is no regs in the uk but seriously this is silly.
He's also been in modern barber magazine and entered Britains best wet shave barber so he's getting to be quite well known.

He does sound rather immature to be operating so casually. Professional Indemnity insurance isn't very expensive at all. It's not illegal not to have insurance but if you're successfully sued, you'd have to cover the costs from your own pocket. It certainly wouldn't do his professional reputation any good.

Tax avoidance is a criminal offence so he could end up with a criminal record as well as a fine. Prison is also (but less likely) a possibility depending on the scale of the fraud.

It's up to you what you do/say but if I was the salon owner, I certainly wouldn't be impressed.

Latest posts

Back