What can i expect?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitterxdust

Reaction score
i had my hair highlighted a light brown/caramel colour a few weeks before xmas and my roots are about 3cms grown out now and thinking of having it re done. but this time i would like to go lighter and have more highlights than i have

if i werent to ask would hairdressers

colour your the roots-using foils
colour with foils all over or
colour the highlights you had put in

i would like to more highlights everywhere,
have highlights that are lighter than i already have but would also like to keep some of the colour highlights i already have so it looks more natural -

ive never had my highlights re touched when ive had them so asking how do all the roots get covered when you have highlights? conused!

Also..she only did half a head last time so might have the underneith done when i go next.

Hi , here is a reply from another thread which may help you to understand highlights a bit more, the main topic of this reply was avoiding brassiness,
but it will still give you a general idea :hug:

Hi nee nee This is a hard one as highlights tend to get all muddled up together and you get blonde ones being colored brown and brown ones being lifted back to blonde again ,
then fade becomes involved making the brown ones that were previously blonde become a dull brassy blonde and they all get mixed up together.

Your hairdresser may have a better chance of picking the same ones up again if you just stick to one colour for now .

So perhaps have the scattered bleached blonde ones that you like ,
then just stick to those and then your hairdresser could try then to pick out the same ones when you need a root regrowth .

Hard to explain I know,
but your hairdresser could maybe clarify it a bit better for you
as she will show you on you're actual hair :hug: x

that was kind of hard to understand. but read it over and over can i just ask

i thought if i have blonde highlights (even everywhere) it would make some of my light brown/caramel highlights lighter and some of my natural colour blonde so it gives a mixture of light brown caramel and abit my natural colour.:rolleyes: or would i be best to get my natural colour lightnened to the colour my highlights are now and get my current highlights lighter to a blonde

i might just stick to having my highlights lighter..so it is exactly the same but just a lighter colour!

if i pick one of my highlights up and split it in half, having the other half blonder does that make sense?? this is the look i want lol

Ive also noticed that the highlights in the front of my hair (sweepy fringe) are abit brassy and darker than the rest...i think maybe because my hair was naturally darker there? but would really like the fringe colour the same colour as the other colour closer to my baby hairs... could the hairdresser apply a tint to lift the colour all over?

i hope i make sense!!

Hi , to lift any colour from the hair it will have to be a bleach as tint wont lift tint,
I would just have the roots highlighted to a brighter blonde,
she may be able to take the bleach through for you if the hair is in good condition,

but bleach is not meant to be overlapped on the previously bleached hair ,

although it can be used for refreshing and lightening the ends (depending on condition ) for the last five mins .

If your hairdresser recommends that you are able to lighten up other bits of your fringe area with bleach , she should usually test and asses your hair and advise you on this ,
what you are asking your hairdresser for sounds really nice and it does sound achievable but do ask your hairdressers advice too .

If you overlap too many times with bleach your hair can easily suffer breakage.:hug:

Last edited:
oh right, thanks.

when i went to have my consultation i told her what i would love my hair too look like - it was another client of hers who i knew and she did her hair. it was like a lighter brown with really light brown/blond highlights it was gawjus

and she said that she did this and to get mine like that she would do the same:

Tint the whole natural colour it is a lighter brown and
apply foils and give blonde/light brown highlights

i was too scared to do the tint incase my natural hair went a gingery colour and she said she couldnt tell me exactly what colour it would go so i just had highlights on top of my natural hair colour

xx

oh right, thanks.

when i went to have my consultation i told her what i would love my hair too look like - it was another client of hers who i knew and she did her hair. it was like a lighter brown with really light brown/blond highlights it was gawjus

i was too scared to do the tint incase my natural hair went a gingery colour and she said she couldnt tell me exactly what colour it would go so i just had highlights on top of my natural hair colour

xx

I would get her to perform some test pieces first
so that you can see exactly what colour you will be getting on your natural hair :hug: x

to have a tint you mean?

would that be possible to do a tint on my hair how it is now to make it all lighter?

x

oh right, thanks.

xx

Hi I would have thought she would weave out your highlights
and low lights first in foils ,
then apply this lighter brown tint all over your natural colour and the rest of the hair ,
this would provide the lighter brown base ,

but I would only go ahead if your test pieces were all to your liking , and the condition of the hair was good .

All hairdressers have their own way of working and the hairdresser who does your hair would probably be able to answer all your questions a lot better than I can , (as I cannot see your hair to asses it .)

I would book a thorough consultation with her and make sure she does the test pieces for you first . hth :hug: x

I must admit it does sound really nice and I totally understand about taking the plunge,
it may be a bit more expensive to maintain as well .

Latest posts

Back