What can I use to add moisture to nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffle

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a regular elderly client who has Gelish on her nails every 3-4 weeks. She's very good with them, wears gloves and uses her oil, but on the last couple of appointments I've noticed some of her nail beds are looking very de-hydrated - more than they should. I use Nail Harmony remover, not neat acetone.

I'd like to give her a luxury manicure or something to try and help them out....but I've never been asked for anything extra with Gelish before. I've read that I should do anything after apply Gelish - but what would you recommend to really combat the dryness?

Hi all, I have a regular elderly client who has Gelish on her nails every 3-4 weeks. She's very good with them, wears gloves and uses her oil, but on the last couple of appointments I've noticed some of her nail beds are looking very de-hydrated - more than they should. I use Nail Harmony remover, not neat acetone.

I'd like to give her a luxury manicure or something to try and help them out....but I've never been asked for anything extra with Gelish before. I've read that I should do anything after apply Gelish - but what would you recommend to really combat the dryness?

Are you buffing the surface of the natural nail plate?

It will not be her nail 'beds' that are dehydrated, but the surface of the nail plate and ANY buffing will make it worse ... during prep or after removal ... buffing the plate removes the protection from the surface and then continuous wear will just add to the dehydration.

Some time off and regular use of a Good quality oil like Solar Oil will restore the moisture balance and give the nails back the protective layer they need in no time.

Hi Geeg, no I don't buff. I did right at the start (over a year ago) on her first application but as I just remove and re-apply I don't buff.

I may suggest she has a little time 'naked' and maybe just a normal luxury manicure. It's only on a couple of nails at the moment but I just want to 'nip it in the bud' so to speak, before it gets worse. Haven't seen this on any other clients. Thank you.

Try the new shellac remover it may make a difference, I use both shellac & gelish and used dsolve to remove getting little dehydration marks with one lady in particular, I used the new remover this week on her - no white marks. It may be worth a try x

Last edited:
Newbie question: Would a paraffin dip ever help in instances like this?

Newbie question: Would a paraffin dip ever help in instances like this?

Sure. It certainly wouldn't do any harm along with a good moisturiser.

Latest posts

Back