What can slow down nail growth, should I be concerned for this client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
Here are the nails when I did them on Wednesday 13/04
image.jpeg

As I used her as a model, I checked in with her today to see how they were doing as it had almost been 2 weeks and I'm still testing out iLac for wear time. She said they were perfect, but I asked for a pic to check.
image.jpeg

This was taken Monday 25/04, so 12 days later. As you can see, the nails don't appear to have grown at all! I know people say "oh my nails don't grow" but this is really odd! It's a friend of mine so I'm concerned maybe this could be a sign of a vitamin deficiency or something. What do the more experienced Geeks think?

P.S I am rather pleased her iLac still looks this good though! I was just hoping it would have helped her gain a little length.

Xx

I wouldn't be concerned, sometimes a clients nails will grow virtually overnight, sometimes that same client will have virtually not growth at all. They all seem to have a spring and winter growth spurt at some point too. They always seem to have massive growth when on holiday too, I put it down to sun and good food :cool:

Maybe keep an eye on it, keep a note on your client record card for definite dates but I'd wait and see

Agree with trinity, make a note and maybe mention it to her - I'm sure you did anyway! I think I read somewhere that poor circulation can lead to slow growing nails, but can't remember where I read it!

She's going to be one of those lucky ones who goes about 4 weeks between nail appointments, she'll save herself a fortune!! Xx

I can honestly say mine wouldn't have grown much more than that in 12 days either!

You've noted it which is good, just keep an eye on it.

Thanks guys! Glad it's nothing to be concerned about. I'd never seen nails grow that slowly! Yes, I wish I could go so long, mine grow insanely fast! I know sun can make them grow faster as I learned that when I trained in hair, but I don't recall anything about slow growth. I'll pop a note on her card and keep an eye on it. Xx

It's possible that her cuticle area is sticking slightly to her nail and is growing up with the nail plate, I have a good few clients like this and when you do the cuticle work their nail beds look way longer ;) If you look at the pic you can see no so much space at the cuticle area, but less skin is showing at the top indicating that they have in fact grown :)

It's possible that her cuticle area is sticking slightly to her nail and is growing up with the nail plate, I have a good few clients like this and when you do the cuticle work their nail beds look way longer ;) If you look at the pic you can see no so much space at the cuticle area, but less skin is showing at the top indicating that they have in fact grown :)
I did actually wonder if that could be the case! When I looked again I did think there was less skin showing at the tip. The pics are taken at completely different angles though so it's really hard to tell without seeing them in person. At least it's nothing to be concerned about, I was just so surprised there was like zilch regrowth! She bites sometimes too and usually those are the ones who have amazing growth spurts. X

No science behind this at all.
But mine grow quicker some times than they do others. Im assuming its to do with hormones or immune system like if your body is fighting off a low level illness you might not notice much but yiur body will prioritise that over less necessary parts.

Hypothyroidism can cause slow growth. My mum had really slow growth and then when she was diagnosed and started treatment her nails started growing normally

Hypothyroidism can cause slow growth. My mum had really slow growth and then when she was diagnosed and started treatment her nails started growing normally

That's really interesting! I am hyper thyroid and although I am prone to onycholysis, my nails grow really fast! x

Latest posts

Back