What can you put through your accounts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina Ballerina

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious.. Bills, uniform, products, training etc.. What do you out through your accounts?
I put my make-up through because I can't go to work without it but it is also a beauty product.

What about your hair? I have my hair cut and coloured every 4 weeks and my friend that is a mua puts that through her books as she is the face of the business. Does anyone else?

Also I'm thinking of maybe trying for a baby next year, what about child care? I can't run my business without it so can that go through?

Any beauty treatments you have as that can be research?
My car isn't registered to the business but my accountant asks for my mileage each year which I take to mean to and from suppliers, trade shows training courses etc.

Love to hear your thoughts.

I have never personally put through things like hairdressing etc. However, years ago I worked in promotions-again, another face to face job, and I remember some of the girls I worked with say, that they use to put things like hair through their accounts.

But to be sure, I would ask your accountant, as that's what they are there for. A good accountant will always do their best for you. ;)

I would say everything you have said apart from Childcare would be able to be claimed as an expense but best check with an accountant.

Make up & hair as expenses!? Is this serious?

Thanks for your input.
When I was a dancer I always put my hair through, similarly to your promo friends.

I will check with my accountant thanks BP, just didn't want to feel like I was asking him a stupid question first.

Thanks for your input.
When I was a dancer I always put my hair through, similarly to your promo friends.

I will check with my accountant thanks BP, just didn't want to feel like I was asking him a stupid question first.

Not stupid at all! I say, if you don't ask, you don't get! ;)

Sadly you are not able to claim for beauty treatments and getting your hair done. You can't even claim for work clothes unless it has a logo on it or it is protective clothing.

Are you self employed or limited company? If you are limited co you can save on tax and national insurance on childcare vouchers. There is a new scheme coming where everyone can save the tax on childcare costs. https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs/childcare-vouchers

Please ask your accountant. I'm an accountant and want my clients to ask me anything - there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Latest posts

Back