What can you skin geeks do for me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much everyone for your input, advice and personal recommendations. :hug: :hug:

I will look at everything you've suggested and see what I come up with.

The primer does sound an excellent idea and I remember now, that when I have done photo shoots the make up artists always use it on the models (even if they are 20 years old with the most perfect complexions!!). That might be a good place to start and then depending on the results, move on to a new foundation. Actually in the summer I never wear any foundation at all but winter is coming and we all need a touch of colour then to brighten things up don't we?? Even in Spain.

Thanks again to all XXX

Hi Geeg

when i saw a make up artist (who did stints on the look 10 years younger show) at one of the trade shows this year she highly recommended that which ever range of products you use that mature skin should be using a tinted moisturiser and not a foundation as it can sit too heavy on the skin.

I gather you have used one before but why not try a different range.

Hi Geeg

when i saw a make up artist (who did stints on the look 10 years younger show) at one of the trade shows this year she highly recommended that which ever range of products you use that mature skin should be using a tinted moisturiser and not a foundation as it can sit too heavy on the skin.

I gather you have used one before but why not try a different range.

Thank you, I think you are right there ... something lighter.

Geeg,

Have you ever tried Prescriptives? I have used a couple of there foundations and tints and have been really pleased with the results.

The do a nice light tint - I think its called prescriptives traceless tint. Also there magic range is lovley as well.

They sell in dept. stores over in the uk so I'm sure one of the big ones in spain should stock the range.

Another thing to do is go into the dept store and get testers so you can try a few different brands and then make up your mind. I have brought expensive foundations in the past and hated the coverage. hth.

Clarins do a fantastic foundation, its called Extra-Firming Foundation and i promise it gives an absolutley flawless coverage. Its not heavy either :)

Clarins also do sample sizes that last for up to a week so you can try the coverage & colours that are best suited to you before you buy.

Can this i.d. range be bought over the counter or from professional salons only.
I'd love to have a demo. I've never tried a mineral range but i have heard they are all the rage now. I normally never use face powder because of the 'accentuating the lines' thing and also it is normally quite warm here and I have visions of powder going all caked and horrid in the humidity ... but would love to try it and have a test drive. . thank you. I'm open to all suggestions.
I would definetly recommend mineral makeup. They really are all the rage now. The really are good for all kinds of skin. The thing they say about being so pure you sleep in it is true. There are so many of them around now, I don't no about in the UK but here you get them at salons.

The girls at work have raved about the new tri enzyme facial. Apparently the affects are unbelivable and you can buy home care products.

Tri-Enzyme Resurfacing Facial - 60 mins
Using advanced resurfacing techniques, micro-encapsulated Tri-Enzyme technology safely and effectively resurfaces the skin leaving it incredibly clean, smooth and clarified. Radiance is restored as the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, acne and superficial scarring is reduced. Recommended once every 3 weeks on a course of 6.

Re: make up I've switched to wearing tinted moisturiser over the last year. My skin looks brighter and more dewey compared to using foundation. I've also switched to cream blushers rather than powder for the same reason. I only sweep a little translucent powder over nose and chin area as they are slightly oily.

I also like to use clarins flash balm whether I'm wearing make up or not, it seems to give my skin a little pick me up :)

The gatineau defi lift foundations are nice and light - they are more of a tinted moisturiser and nice and light and give a dewy feel.

Hi

Nimue do a tinted SPF 20. Kills 2 birds with one stone, sun protection and an even natural bit of colour to your skin too! perfect o mundo.

I also use Glo minerals think it is glominerals.co.uk damn fine mineral make up has spf in it and vit c. covers everything from acne scars to rosacea. Goes on in powder form and with the heat of yor skin blends in like a liquid.

Hth

K x

Hey geeg:green:

I've come to this a little late, as I haven't been online for a few days.

The two favourite foundations I have in my kit for mature skins are Chanel Vitalumiere (liquid or cream, though cream gives more coverage and you sound like you don't need this) and Stila Illuminating Foundation.

You know where to find Chanel, and Stila can be found in Selfridges and online at Sephora.

As for foundation around your eye area, apply little or none and instead let your concealer do the work, too much coverage in this area will lead to a cakey, unattractive look.

As for powder, try an ultra-fine illuminating one (Chanel Poudre Universelle in Peche or Clair are good, as is the MAC Blot 'Invisible' Powder) and use it sparingly and only where you need it.

hth

Another thing to think about re eyes is that if the shadow you use is metalic, it will magnify the creases. Matt works better.

Thank you all for your help.

Here's what I am going to do for the time being, as I do use a good light foundation by Chanel (The Lumier liquid) and I was happy with it until (I now realise thanks to Amy) I started using WAY too rich a moisturiser underneath it.

I was using a moisturiser for mature skin but is way to heavy for me so I have switched back to the one I was using before which is much lighter in texture and doesn't leave a moist/heavy layer on my skin.

The other big mistake is that I was applying foundation under the eye area which always resulted in my mascara 'melting' and giving me a grey appearance under the eyes (I looked so tired).

So until I use up the rest of the foundation I have (because I would like to see what all the fuss is about these mineral makeups) I will use the new regime of lighter moisturiser (let it do its thing for 10 minutes before applying any foundation); just use concealer under the eye area with minimal foundation in that area and I will get some of the Chanel poudre that Amy suggests and use it only where I need it.

We'll see how that goes for the time being and then try some of your other suggestions. Thanks a million.

After having read through this,and digging up an old thread at 1 am:eek:....i was wondering wether you had any joy or luck in your skin care and make up routine....:)

After having met you,i noticed your best feature IMO are your eyes,and i loved the way you "played them up" with the way you used your eye liner,may i ask what it was?

As for mineral make up,did you try it,did you like it?

Using a light concealer under the eyes will help you Gigi,i am a believer of less is more....good skin starts with a good skin care routine,and sticking with it!

I hope you are still using creme poudree corps,IMO,the best body cream on the market.

The one thing i will ask is do you use a seperate neck and bust cream,if you dont i wont get upset,take your body cream up to the neck and bust to prevent any further sun damage from the spanish heat:eek::green:

The best mascara i have found at present is from super cover,when you remove it it comes off in strips,and it lasts all day and is not drying on the lashes.....i think your eyes are so beautiful and lashings of mascara is the finishing touch to your eyes:):hug:

I am 58 years old and have really good skin for my age I think. I have no deep lines or wrinkles yet on my face or under my eyes, but of course my skin does not look like it did when I was 30! I do take care of it and moisturise daily morning and night. At the moment I am using the Academie de Beauté range which I love for the skin. I also use Nimue for cleansing and moisturising .... I alternate the 2 ranges every few months or so.

I find that sometimes when I apply pancake foundation (which I try to do lightly and with minimal product) that my skin actually looks older than it does without make up!! But I like to wear a bit of foundation to smooth out the tone of the skin.

I find that my eyes too look older and that any shadow accentuates the fine lines that I thought I didn't have!! :eek: They too look better to me without any shadow and only mascara.

My question is --- Is there a make up range that is particularly recommended for older skin so that once it is applied, it looks more youthful instead of actually accentuating the agedness of it?? At the moment I use Channel (liquid) or YSL (pancake).

What advice would you give me?
Hi geeg
First and foremost I would reccomend that you go and have a course of 6 microdermabrasion treatments one a week for 6 weeks .I use genie-tech Non invasive cosmetic surgery - Genie Tech International Ltd. | weight loss | non surgical face lift | non-surgical cosmetic treatments | laser hair removal | slimming | lymphatic drainage | skin peeling | laser hair removal in my salon. My clients really notice the difference and love it ,
the crystals are wheatgerm and are full of vitamin E this takes off the dead layer of skin revealing a smoother complexion .Your skin will look younger brighter and tighter.
You will then find that your moisturiser will sink into your skin easily .
Its a shame you are in spain I could have given you a complimentary course of treartments.
The next step would be to keep away from panstick its ageing and too thick for your skin
its no good using tinted moisturising cream either because it sounds like you like a good coverage ,so use a good quality moisturising foundation .I use Estee Lauder I am a bit of a make up addict and so over the years (and they are many )I have tried lots of foundations and still come back to the same one Estyee Lauder .
If you have a sightly oily chin and nose their all day doublewear foundation is good just put it on the oily areas and use the moisturising foundation on the rest of your face .
working from the cheeks outwards there shouldnt be enough left to blend out to your jaw line. You said you use Channel liquid thats a really good one do they do one for mature skin with brightners?.
If you go to any large cosmetic counter with a couple of small pots they would give you a sample to try its best to try before you buy.

Eyes
you need to keep away from pearly or glittery shadows

But most importantly I would really reccomend that you book into a salon near you for some microdermabrasion treatments you wont regret it .

Ruby x

After having read through this,and digging up an old thread at 1 am:eek:....i was wondering wether you had any joy or luck in your skin care and make up routine....:)

After having met you,i noticed your best feature IMO are your eyes,and i loved the way you "played them up" with the way you used your eye liner,may i ask what it was?

As for mineral make up,did you try it,did you like it?

Using a light concealer under the eyes will help you Gigi,i am a believer of less is more....good skin starts with a good skin care routine,and sticking with it!

I hope you are still using creme poudree corps,IMO,the best body cream on the market.

The one thing i will ask is do you use a seperate neck and bust cream,if you dont i wont get upset,take your body cream up to the neck and bust to prevent any further sun damage from the spanish heat:eek::green:

The best mascara i have found at present is from super cover,when you remove it it comes off in strips,and it lasts all day and is not drying on the lashes.....i think your eyes are so beautiful and lashings of mascara is the finishing touch to your eyes:):hug:

Well how cool is this ... having this individual attention. Thanks so much to you both.

I never did try themineral makeup but have stopped using the pan stick and have stuck to the Channel foundation which is very good although I may try the Estée Lauder one next time for a change.

I have stopped the greasyness under my eyes, which I did by following the advice of Amy de Man. I was carrying the foundation too high up under my lashes.

The pencil that I used on my eyes, Gabi is one from Estée Lauder (Arts Eye Pencil - probably YEARS old) called Forrest Whisper - a sort of dark earthy green/brown. It is nice you think my eyes aremy best feature because without doing something to them they are pretty unnoticeable I think.

I DO use the Crème Poudré Corps every day and I will make sure to include the decolleté (have I spelled that right?) .. that needs work at my age!! :lol:
I do not sunbathe and always put a high factor on every day to keep the sun damage to a minimum but you can't get completely away from it here in Spain .. but so far I do not have a wrinkly chest and I don't want to either.

Super cover mascarra I do not think I can get here ... is that the name of the make?? Tell me more.

Hi geeg
First and foremost I would reccomend that you go and have a course of 6 microdermabrasion treatments one a week for 6 weeks .I use genie-tech Non invasive cosmetic surgery - Genie Tech International Ltd. | weight loss | non surgical face lift | non-surgical cosmetic treatments | laser hair removal | slimming | lymphatic drainage | skin peeling | laser hair removal in my salon. My clients really notice the difference and love it ,
the crystals are wheatgerm and are full of vitamin E this takes off the dead layer of skin revealing a smoother complexion .Your skin will look younger brighter and tighter.
You will then find that your moisturiser will sink into your skin easily .
Its a shame you are in spain I could have given you a complimentary course of treartments.
The next step would be to keep away from panstick its ageing and too thick for your skin
its no good using tinted moisturising cream either because it sounds like you like a good coverage ,so use a good quality moisturising foundation .I use Estee Lauder I am a bit of a make up addict and so over the years (and they are many )I have tried lots of foundations and still come back to the same one Estyee Lauder .
If you have a sightly oily chin and nose their all day doublewear foundation is good just put it on the oily areas and use the moisturising foundation on the rest of your face .
working from the cheeks outwards there shouldnt be enough left to blend out to your jaw line. You said you use Channel liquid thats a really good one do they do one for mature skin with brightners?.
If you go to any large cosmetic counter with a couple of small pots they would give you a sample to try its best to try before you buy.

Eyes
you need to keep away from pearly or glittery shadows

But most importantly I would really reccomend that you book into a salon near you for some microdermabrasion treatments you wont regret it .

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions and the kind complementary offer!! Bless.

I shall have to find someone really good at this micro dermabrasion treatment because I have heard there are some people who have only trained to do this in a day or so and I need to be more confident than that.

Thanks for your interest peeps and for taking the time to advise. :hug:

Super cover mascarra I do not think I can get here ... is that the name of the make?? Tell me more.

The mascara is 'Blinc' but it is distributed by Supercover, who are a professional make up brand, i.e. (and you'll like this!) NOT available in stores such as department stores or Sally :lol:

The mascare is quite unique, and what I like about it is, it's comes off very cleanly, i.e. it's either on or it's off, no panda eyes!!

blinc mascara - £18.00 : Blinc Cosmetics

Wouldn't want to be in trouble for peddling my wares :smack: but I do stock this:green:

Sorry Gabi if I have hijacked

I have exactly the same problem and I hate it. Anyhow, having tried every foundation/base on the market, from the dearest to the cheapest, I ound the best thing is not actually the foundations itself............It's SPOTLIGHT by Estee Lauder and you can either apply it over your moisteriser and under your foundation or mix it with a liquid foundation. It gives a lovely glow.

Although the mineral make ups are lovely, they don't do any favours for the over 40 as it sits in the lines and makes the skin look dry and older. Some people may argue but I promise you, that's what happens to me and I've seen a number of women have it applied at trade shows and that's what I always notice on them too.

Hi

I would recommend Barbara Bort Cosmetics for you which is a mineral make-up range from Italy.

The make-up is gorgeous and the range is very impressive too

for your foundation I would recommend Hydra Sweet foundation
A very light and creamy foundation, feels so light you’ll forget it’s even there. It cleverly adjusts to your skin tone to combine a naturally flawless cover with a powerful firming and hydrating effect and it helps minimise the appearance of lines and wrinkles. also colour forever which is a Soft, fluid, long lasting foundation, it covers expression lines and won’t rub or fade away. It leaves a luminous, velvety, smooth complexion without drying the skin.

either of these would be suitable for your age group

I hope this helps.

I would recommend Jane Iredale mineral makeup. It is not only recommended by cosmetic surgeons to disguise post-surgical flaws, but it also has a very strong SPF formula, wont clog pores, and never looks caky. Its a bit expensive but it is really amazing stuff!! It can be found at medispas and some salons. I've been using it for 2 years now and love it.

For you, I would recommend their Liquid Mineral foundation (one of the anti aging ingrediants is coenzyme Q10). If you want a bit more coverage you can apply the loose minerals with a brush (you can also mix them together to get the perfect colour). The application shouldnt be caky, but if turns out too thick, just spray a bit of toner over the entire face and let dry (eg: Dermalogica multi-active toner). They also have a fantastic under-eye concealer.

PS: for your eyeshadow dilema I would suggest "Absence" by Jane Iredale. It was designed as an oil absorbing product but its also great for filling in large pores (and wrinkles) even on the eyes! and it keeps your makeup looking fresh all day long.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back