What causes Shellac to lift?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What causes shellac to lift,

• Not prepared right

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Magie

Reaction score
hi all, just wondering what causes shellac to lift i used the correct application for it but i done a clients nails yesterday evening and she contacted me this morning saying her both thumbs the polish came off which never happens me, then she rang me about 20 mins saying they all came off , i feel so embarresed as im only out of college and got my certificates and everything

Are you prepping the nails right? You need to dehydrate the nail and make sure it's completely clean before you apply anything. You also need to question what your client has been doing. It's quite awkward I know but I had the same thing a couple of years ago and it turned out my client went home and had been using bleach!! So it may not be your fault x

In this weather I'd suspect sunscreen.

Cuticle left on, removing cuticle away with Scrubfresh not water, client using harsh chemicals at home,

Thanks girls, i am preping the nails correct i just cant figure out how it came off it did peel off her thumbs ilshe said it popped off ?, which i dont really believe , im just so confused i'm doing tjem again for her tommrow but i'm so afraid of it happens to her again

I don't believe it popped off either. I'd be interested in the condition of her nails when you see her.

What clients mean when they say "it popped off "
The nail might have lifted in the front free edge and they fiddled with it and it can easily come off in a solid whole nail.

Personally I can't get shellac to last 3 days on my own nails , so it might just be the client's home care as well as her own nails.

Thanks girls, i am preping the nails correct i just cant figure out how it came off it did peel off her thumbs ilshe said it popped off ?, which i dont really believe , im just so confused i'm doing tjem again for her tommrow but i'm so afraid of it happens to her again

I would do them this time free of charge if it happens again, don't stress I would just suggest shellac isn't suitable for this particular client. It is great but it's not for everyone! Are her own nails in good condition, did you do your base coat lovely & thin? Have you got the CND UV or LED lamp?

Are you sure that you didn't buff the nail instead of removing shine?

Sometime if you reuse files they can loose their grit and end up buffing the nail.

Can you talk us through your whole process?

If you have found you have done all the prep etc right then it could be down to the way she has put her hand in the lamp, as its the thumbs she might not have put her hand in properly or got the thumbs in all the way so they didn't cure properly, it commonly happens with thumbs, you could cure them separately or keep an eye on how far people put them in - hope this helps!

Are you using CND lamp?? X

hi all, just wondering what causes shellac to lift i used the correct application for it but i done a clients nails yesterday evening and she contacted me this morning saying her both thumbs the polish came off which never happens me, then she rang me about 20 mins saying they all came off , i feel so embarresed as im only out of college and got my certificates and everything
Hi Magie,
This is the first time I've posted on Salon Geek, although I've been reading for a while. I had a client just like that. She destroyed my confidence and I spent the following three months testing myself and the product...and, d'you know what? The product and I (and my other clients) stood up to the test.
In my case, I don't think that she, really, wanted nice nails. Hers lasted less than that evening, allegedly.
Don't over worry about it and keep on :) x

As of what client could have done, that could have created lifting..
Shellac and gelpolishes in general don't handle chlorine well. So I always suggest my clients not to clean house or go swimming into pools 24-48hours after service. Because in my experience this almost always leads to chiping and peeling, as product polymerization may continue even up to 72hours after service.

Super shiny oily nail plates perhaps? I have had this recently with a client, she has come to me for 12 months then suddenly they are popping off, in the end i double dehydrated and applied bonder to each finger, and did one hand at a time so that they were super dehydrated and did not have the chance to become oily again before application of base coat, this has worked

Latest posts

Back