What causes this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbleclock

Reaction score
Hey geeks!

I was doing some infills today, and I noticed that under the natural nail, the client's nail bed has extended further than what I would say is normal, like I could touch it with a orange stick and she could feel it?

I'm not explaining it very well, but I hope you can understand what I mean. If i were to cut them back short there would be a risk of me cutting live tissue (not that I would!)

She said she noticed it after she started getting acrylics done at a nail bar (the 45 min drill type). I have been doing her nails for a month now so she still has half damaged nails.

I was just wondering is this something that needs to be fixed, or will it fix itself? and what caused it?

Thanks!
Claire

I think know what you mean, The area is called the hyponychium.

Many factors can change the growth of the nail bed and nails so it would be hard to diagnose. It is not really anything for you to worry about, just as you said, dont cut the nails too short.

They can shrink back in time but i would just leave well alone and be careful

Hope this helps x:)

The easiest way to explain this is because she has had enhancements on her hypernicium reattatches itself to where it is meant to be.
Because she has had enhancements on she wont have been poking under the free edge cleaning out therefore pushing it back iykwim
When I dont have my enhancements on I am forever cleaning out from under my nails which actually pushes the hypernicium backwards.
Because her nails are longer she wont be pushing back as much as she would have done without them on, therefore the hypernicium sort of reattatches where it should be right along the end of the finger. I hope this makes sense.
It is nothing to worry about.
There could be another issue it may not be hypernicium but pterigium which sometimes grows abnormally because of overexposure.
I would highly recomend Doug Schoons book, its a wealth of nail anatomy knowledge.
Jen xxx

Right! Thanks. So when you do wear enhancements your hyponycium gets longer? Mine dont... but I assume it is different for different people?

this happened to me when i had l&p on for a few months (i did them myself following training but have only had gels previously). My nails became very curved with an exaggerated c curve at the free edge and the hyponychium was much further out than usual towards the end of my finger. I thought the curve might be due to the physical properties of l&p (ie. more rigid than gels) once my nail reached a longer length but both 'conditions' (for lack of a better word) were back to normal pretty quickly when the l&p was soaked off and my nails shortened

x

There could be another issue it may not be hypernicium but pterigium which sometimes grows abnormally because of overexposure.
I would highly recomend Doug Schoons book, its a wealth of nail anatomy knowledge.

Jen is quite right, it does sound like pterygium - a wing like structure or growth of living tissue. When it's under the free edge it's called
"inverse pterygium"

The most likely cause of this would be a 'burnt' hyponychium from overfiling (eg the heat caused from cutting out a smile line or filing under the free edge with a drill)

When the hyponychium tissue is over heated it can actually fuse to the nail plate and is then dragged forward, this can be painfull for some clients as the skin stretches.

It is not a permanent problem in most cases and a healthy daily dosing of cuticle oil/ moisturiser should allow the skin to soften and shrink back in time. (Assuming the mechanical force that causes it is not continued...)

Hope that helps.

Great thanks! I hate a client asking a question and me not knowing the answer. ta gals x

Great thanks! I hate a client asking a question and me not knowing the answer. ta gals x

No worries - happy to help

(from the male side of the coin ;))

Envy

Hello all of the above lol and plenty of cuticle oil, a lot don't put the oil under the nail only on top, I tell all top and underneath at least once a day but if they can twice a day, u will be surprised it really does work, I have been telling one of my clients for months but she hates the feel of oil but her cuticles where dry and cracked, so I said to her just do it for 2 week and then see the difference, well she is now truely converted. :)

Here is me going out on a limb again ........

I find this is most common (if not exclusive) to clients with acrylic nails, my belief is that it is overgrown hyponychium.

I can't understand it's cause, but I think nails grow faster with acrylics (due to the stimulation of the nailplate by filing etc) and practically drag the hyponychium out (as well as being protected by the acrylic nail).

It's a pain in the butt and doesn't happen with everyone, I just wanted to add my 2 pence worth.

Make sure they use cuticle oil under and around the nail, although the use of cuticle oil is important at any time, the most important time to use it is at night (when they are not washing it off every-time they have a pee), then it will get a chance to do its intended purpose for several hours.

Be careful not to let them tamper too much with this condition as they may cause nail separation (what I would call "mechanical" Onycholysis).

I have seen many women with long strong natural nails who have the extended hyponychium going on.

I conclude that it is the body's way of adding support and protection to the nerve endings at the end of the fingers on those who have long nails and nail beds.

Not everyone with long nails or enhancements has this extra protection, and it generally takes a long time for the body to make a change like this, but I have seen it happen many times on both enhanced and natural nails.

I have this! I didn't have it before, but since wearing gel nails (5+ years) mine have grown quite a bit. I too can't have my nails filed too short. They have never shrunk back but have never caused me any problems.

A client of mine has this, but she says she's ALWAYS had them.
She's supposed to check her mom's nails today, to let me know if she has it too (we were talking about it last night actually).

In my original thread, regarding her onycholosis which we ascertained was caused by the trauma of moving her mom from one apartment to another, it was debated whether it was extended hyponichium or something or other pterygium? (I have to look for the thread, can't recall).
It was also suggested that because of it, it caused it to be a more delicate area and prone to 'tearing' from trauma, resulting in the onycholosis.
Her's does seem a bit 'web-like' in how it's extended, I will say that.
She's been googling herself and wants to start pushing at it, to get it to recede. When she does break a nail (rarely) it's a DOOZY and always inevitably tears the area.

I'm sorry I don't have further info, just thought I'd share that tidbit.

Latest posts

Back