What could be my solution as a braider?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvinxxxx

Reaction score
Hi everyone
this is a bit random but I am a skilled braider and based in London. I achieved my nvq2 a year ago but for now i just want to focus on braiding.
I wanted to ask I have a full-time job to support myself as a Barista, and on weekends I occasionally do mobile braiding but i very rarely get messages BECAUSE i travel only.

Let's say if you are skilled..... but :

you have no space to braid clients hair (and can't do it at your own place because you just rent a small room)

you're a MOBILE braider and because you travel it may put people off.

you can't afford to own your own large property or flat to have clients over.

what other option could I have? i've had someone tell me about renting a chair in a salon but how does that even work, I don't even have a clientele as well.

Hi Calvin

This is a marketing problem. You need to take great pictures of your work and create a curated social media presence. Use Canva and put all of your photos into a colour coordinated frame. Choose a font and style everything and don’t mix personal photos. Make it your shopfront.

Then make some leaflets and take them round hair salons that you think might like to offer braiding services. Ask if they have enquiries, would they be interested in casual chair renting?

You need to talk to the owner or the manager. You can always talk to a stylist first and get some info on who the boss is, and whether they already offer these services. Show them your social media page. Make sure your hair is braided and looks awesome.

Chair renting is an arrangement where you rent in someone else’s business. The idea is that they make more money, not that they give you their business. So you both need to benefit. The best deal for you would be to find a salon owner who is looking for a braider and doesn’t want to employ someone, A sweet deal for them would be taking some of the money and not doing the work.

If they get you the enquiry and you use their salon to do the work, you should give them 60% of the money. If you get the booking and use their salon to do the work you should give them between 20-50% of the money. You might want to ask for their advice on what you should charge for your services as you both need to make money. To give you an idea, depending on area, you should aim to be paying between £50-£100 a day to rent a chair in someone’s salon all day.

Good luck

Hi Calvin

This is a marketing problem. You need to take great pictures of your work and create a curated social media presence. Use Canva and put all of your photos into a colour coordinated frame. Choose a font and style everything and don’t mix personal photos. Make it your shopfront.

Then make some leaflets and take them round hair salons that you think might like to offer braiding services. Ask if they have enquiries, would they be interested in casual chair renting?

You need to talk to the owner or the manager. You can always talk to a stylist first and get some info on who the boss is, and whether they already offer these services. Show them your social media page. Make sure your hair is braided and looks awesome.

Chair renting is an arrangement where you rent in someone else’s business. The idea is that they make more money, not that they give you their business. So you both need to benefit. The best deal for you would be to find a salon owner who is looking for a braider and doesn’t want to employ someone, A sweet deal for them would be taking some of the money and not doing the work.

If they get you the enquiry and you use their salon to do the work, you should give them 60% of the money. If you get the booking and use their salon to do the work you should give them between 20-50% of the money. You might want to ask for their advice on what you should charge for your services as you both need to make money. To give you an idea, depending on area, you should aim to be paying between £50-£100 a day to rent a chair in someone’s salon all day.

Good luck
thank you!

thank you!
Use AI to help you with this. It can write amazing copy for your marketing - you just need to tell it what you do and how you do it and it an write up your marketing material. It's free to use, you just need to make an account. It can also describe your work and pictures if, again, you tell it what the picture is.
It's a really useful tool. Google some ideas - "How to use AI for my mobile hair braiding business".

Use AI to help you with this. It can write amazing copy for your marketing - you just need to tell it what you do and how you do it and it an write up your marketing material. It's free to use, you just need to make an account. It can also describe your work and pictures if, again, you tell it what the picture is.
It's a really useful tool. Google some ideas - "How to use AI for my mobile hair braiding business".
Hi thank you so much! What AI wrbsite would I use?

ChaptGPT is a start - it's free. Google some information on how to do it.

Latest posts

Back