What could have gone wrong, did but it was OK in the end

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldie

Reaction score
Title says its all
OMG, what a morning. I did my mother in laws hair; for the first time I did her full head highlights or tried to! Usually I
do tint!

I used 6% with bleach, foiled and worked my way up half way; decided in good time to check the first lot of highlights before continuing top half! It took well and very quick, I had to rinse it off! Which wasn't easy over the bath lol! I didn't have time to add the colour desired under the foils! I didn't panicked, but was in control. So quick thinking to fix this I continued my top half with foils, let it developed which was quite quick! I washed of the bleach! The highlights wre noticeable, BUT I didn't have time to deposit colour 9.0+9.5 with 6%. So I blast dried her hair and coloured her hair (roots) first as normal! Then to my horror I bl**dy ran out of 6%! There wr 2 bottles in my bag! So what did I do? I had colour left over and added 9% to the mixture, and added that to the mid length to ends for blending and allowed that to develop about 20mins. I kept an eye on it!

Well I know I did a big boo boo but at the end with the cut and Blowdry, it came out ok! The highlights were just as noticeable! But overal I was pleased with the colour!

I'm probably gona get slated here, but since I finished college over a year ago this was my first H/L. No excuse I know but unfortunately my pratice on people for H/l is minimal as I don't work in a salon! No body wants to employ a 30+ year old!

Was there another way I could of did?
Could I off done my normal colouring, washed- dry quickly and added some highlights afterwards?

Tbh adding colour inbetween foils for me was a mission impossible.

I should have a bit more faith in myself, guess pratice makes perfect and mistakes you learn from them.

My mother in law was pleased and she paid me :)

Last edited:
Don't panic!!! Lol

For next time when you do the back, start off with lightner and 10vol... Then when you get to the sides go upto 20vol.

You could also do the tint first, the highlights after, like you said. Just till you get your speed up :) xx

Title says its all
OMG, what a morning. I did my mother in laws hair; for the first time I did her full head highlights or tried to! Usually I
do tint!

I used 6% with bleach, foiled and worked my way up half way; decided in good time to check the first lot of highlights before continuing top half! It took well and very quick, I had to rinse it off! Which wasn't easy over the bath lol! I didn't have time to add the colour desired under the foils! I didn't panicked, but was in control. So quick thinking to fix this I continued my top half with foils, let it developed which was quite quick! I washed of the bleach! The highlights wre noticeable, BUT I didn't have time to deposit colour 9.0+9.5 with 6%. So I blast dried her hair and coloured her hair (roots) first as normal! Then to my horror I bl**dy ran out of 6%! There wr 2 bottles in my bag! So what did I do? I had colour left over and added 9% to the mixture, and added that to the mid length to ends for blending and allowed that to develop about 20mins. I kept an eye on it!

Well I know I did a big boo boo but at the end with the cut and Blowdry, it came out ok! The highlights were just as noticeable! But overal I was pleased with the colour!

I'm probably gona get slated here, but since I finished college over a year ago this was my first H/L. No excuse I know but unfortunately my pratice on people for H/l is minimal as I don't work in a salon! No body wants to employ a 30+ year old!

Was there another way I could of did?
Could I off done my normal colouring, washed- dry quickly and added some highlights afterwards?

Tbh adding colour inbetween foils for me was a mission impossible.

I should have a bit more faith in myself, guess pratice makes perfect and mistakes you learn from them.

My mother in law was pleased and she paid me :)

Use 3% with your bleach and finish off with 6% so the last ones catch up with the first one.

As for the 9% on ends, this should have been 3% (could be 6 depending on your brand) rather than adding 9% and hoping for the best, you can dilute it with water to achieve lower levels. To create 6%: 2parts 9% 1 part water. 3%: 1part 9% 2 parts water.

Also depending on the affect you're after, you can tint the roots and highlight while the tint is on, take the tiny through to the ends, then shampoo when the highlights are ready...good option for resistant white hair as the tint will have longer to cover. But as I said, it depends on the look, hair and tints :)

You add water to reduce the peroxide strength. You cant use just tap water tho it has to be sterile water. Tap water will contain salts and metals which will cause problems when mixed with the colour and give undetermined results.

i was also going to say use a lower strength peroxide, im still fairly new to hairdressing and if my client has loads of hair i use 10vol on the back and sides if i dont think ill be quick enough - or do a strand test first to see how quickly it lightens as some takes alot longer

my friend told me they sell a 15vol in sallys but not sure if shes right or not? might give that a go next time if they do x

I couldnt stop thinking about yesterday and how messy it kinda got. so glad i kept cool.

yes I was thinking about deluting the mixture for the ends (9%) with water, but i wasnt sure if deluting it would take the same effect as a 6% (which i ran out of) as i needed the hair to be lift up 1 shade lighter.

errmm another thing i could of done is just worked on a 3% all over for high lights in foils and added my colour as normal in foils!. bleach foils>colour foils>bleach foils>colour foil etc etc

i want to kick myself...

I couldnt stop thinking about yesterday and how messy it kinda got. so glad i kept cool.

yes I was thinking about deluting the mixture for the ends (9%) with water, but i wasnt sure if deluting it would take the same effect as a 6% (which i ran out of) as i needed the hair to be lift up 1 shade lighter.

errmm another thing i could of done is just worked on a 3% all over for high lights in foils and added my colour as normal in foils!. bleach foils>colour foils>bleach foils>colour foil etc etc

i want to kick myself...

Don't kick yourself, learn from it. After every colour I do I think to myself, could I have done that better? If so I make note,

I don't get why you add water to the oxydant! It unbalances the PH.

Well to be honest...would you rather dilute the peroxide in an emergency when having run out of a lower strength, or put 9% on causing colour blow...

Latest posts

Back