what did u think of watchog

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liza smith

Reaction score
hiya all :D
PHEEEEW!!!
i for 1 was v. relieved that as a whole the content of the programme was clear that not everone uses MMA.
my kids enjoyed my 5 seconds of fame 8) !!!
enjoyed chatting afterwards aswell.
what does everyone think? (apart from it should've been much longer)
lol liza xx

I thought it was good - if it gets people talking about nails and asking more questions of their nail tech then this is good - 2 of my clients called to let me know incase I was not watching it.

On the pricing - it does depend where in the country you are - £25 is not cheapish outside London.

This is a great start and hopefully we as an industry should move on from here and I personally think we can do this easier with the help of distributers and insurance companies rather than Government legislation - I am afraid the Government have far more serious (in their minds) issues to deal with. They may get legislation out there but will it be enforced.

We need to do it from within - I think.

I think it a good thing the public are made aware, but I don't feel it went into enough detail on what they should look out for! Apart from a set taking 20 minutes was it? ack and a cost of £25! Which is what I currently charge! ?

Something has to be done as they are springing up all over the place where I live!

hiya all
with regard to the price issue.
when people 1st look to set their pricelists, a few obvious things r taken into account;
overheads(rent, rates, services etc)
wages(varying degrees of experience & length of service)
product costs
daily running costs of salon.
the best way to set your prices is to decide on which end of the market you r after.
to attract professional women who have a higher disposable income you will have to think along the lines of plusher surroundings(higher rent?), highly qualified staff (higher wages?), top of the range product line.
to acheive all this & to make a profit, your prices will not b at the cheaper end of the scale.
if you have managed to find a gem of a premises, great staff who don't expect wages to match, & r a genius with the accounts! then u r definately in the minority :shock:
seriously, the point i'm trying to make is that;
to have a salon on the high st, with staff that r regularly updated in their training, & to use the best product range, complete with full retail services, your prices don't just have to cover your outlay & make u a profit, you have to tap into the psyche of your average client.
assuming you could afford any facial moisturiser in a shop...
would u go for the 1 that cost £2.50 or the 1 that cost £8.50?
most people want the best that they can afford, they assume (sometimes wrongly) that the dearer option is of better quality.
i have done a lot of research into this among clients & members of the public.
apart from the exceptions who r tight with their money even when they don't need to b, the huge majority of people would rather pay more & get a better experience.
i know that there r nail techs out there that do a fantastic job & only charge below average prices, & in reality price is not always a true reflection of quality.
however, the clients that quibble any price increase would undoubtably not b looking in jumble sales for their clothes etc!
we need to as a profession, raise the public's perception of our services.
we can only do this by not only offering the best service possible, but by making sure we don't undervalue ourselves.
there r always clients who do not have the required disposable income to regularly afford the upkeep of their nails.
these clients r what we call "coasters." they will check out who is charging the least, & go there, untill the prices change . then they will b off to the nxt cut price offer :(
to build up & keep regular clientelle, you have to attract the type of client that can afford your services on a regular basis.
which brings us full circle, to suceed long term;
identify your end of the market
choose your pemises accordingly
choose your staff & products accordingly
finally, set your prices!
hope this makes sense :shock:
lol liza xx

I for one, thought it was pretty good, yes more airtime could have been great.......but so could be six numbers on the lottery lol........

It has raised the public awareness about MMA and thats what it was supposed to do................

New clients and old clients will be aware that there are, some not so professional products and not so professional service standards enforced...................and that the clients, should ask questions, if a service seems very cheap for the area............

I enforce the term area..........yes a full set in my(London inner City) area is £ 50.00 within a Salon ...........but if a client was going to be offered a Full Set down the road for £ 25.00 in 30 minutes service time, I would ask some serious questions.............

How can they afford to do that, something has to give, either a product or a short cut on the service....and often both..............
I am not talking about mobile technicians, or Technicians working from home.............

I am talking about High Street Salons with the usual overheads...........
How can they afford if they charge, say the half of what I charge, to pay the rent on their premises, provide a AAA+ product, pay the wages, more staff training.................

Now the mathematics are easy for this.............
One Technician can bring this revenue in to the salon:
Full set £25.00 service time 30 minutes....................that gives you a 1 1/2 hourly price rate of £75.00

Now use a substandard product, pair that with a substandard hygiene policy, this will increase your turn over by say 10% so thats a total off £82.50 for 1 1/2 hours of service...............

Pay the staff who are not trained to our standards , say £5.00 an hour and thats a generous hourly pay, because they are usually trained within the salon and never see a college or professional training company.....

So thats £82.50 minus £12.50 wages for that period of time...........
You are left with £70.00 earning potential per Nail Technician, have 5 Techs working, that £350.00 per 1 1/2 hour salon time......and so on.........
You get my point?????

Compare this to your earning potential, the cost of your training and the use of professional safe products........and it gives you a good picture why these NSS are doing so well.................

It is about time that the public are being made aware of this, NSS issue, and hopefully.................more clients will challenge Technicians about their products. and their code of practice.................. Those of us that use the proper safe products, enforce strict hygiene standards, and use e-files safely, update our training on a regular basis, will and I know .......Be a shining example , the cream of the industry and not the cheap skates, who dont give hoot merchants......................

And wont it be nice not to have to worry wether the next set of infills will be MMA and rings of fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my thought on this............. and yes it was only a small piece of what was actually recorded for the program, but never the less...........
It is better then nothing !!!!!!!!!!!
A small step in the right direction, but hey 20 small steps are better then one short stride..........................

love Ruth xxxxxxx

Overall it was a good programme, a little short, main objective was achieved (I think) raising awareness of the dangers out there. Pricing I cant really comment still trying to build a clientelle so unsure what end of the market I fit in :? I know where I want to be though :D

Hiya all

I enjoyed the Watchdog piece and although it wasn't ever going to be long enough it has definitely brought the issue of MMA into the public arena.

Next morning I had quite a few mums at my son's school come over and ask questions - mainly about the products I use. None of these people are my clients but as lots of them know I am a tech (coz I wear my uniform everywhere I go :rolleyes: ) it has been a chance for some advertising on a personal level and a chance to make more people aware of the dangers of MMA on a general level. I am attending the school HSA Ladies Night next month so I can see this being a big topic of conversation that night too.

Well done to all concerned :D

Shaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back