What discounts do you give?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittikit

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a small salon doing
  • waxing (we use Lycon as well as other brand)
  • individual eyelashes
  • diamond microdermabrasion
  • massages
  • facials
  • 3D lipo
  • shellac nails

And the girls have free treatments but only outside of opening hours. And for month now no one stays or comes early to have anything done.
I would want them to have this and that, to have it a perk of the job and to show off our services.

But what do you suggest? Monthly allowance?
Waxing is inexpensive - but Lycon is not. do i give the option to pay if they want to have their waxing with Lycon? Or just a NO Lycon rule?

Eyelashes? Its not the most expensive, but once you have a Full Set, then you want to infill them every 2 weeks? DO i get them to buy their own lash tray?

massages and facials i thought they could come in on their day off?

3D lipo - no idea what to give them

Shellac - 2 application each month?

Microderma - as you would need to do a course not really just a one on? pay something to cover filter cost and heads?

I do not want to seem very greedy but you cannot give them all for free in my opinion as later it would just cause problems. and one staff is enough, they rest will follow.

Any input would be highly appreciated! Thanks a lot!!

Just wondering, why do you give them free treatments? I know a lot of salons do free nails for staff as it's a promotional gain, but other treatments? A discount is the norm in my experience. They might prefer a small raise in wages as opposed to free treatments. Also maybe it's better to give freebies as rewards?

(awaits someone to tell me I'm completely wrong lol)

Free nails and tan, maybe lashes with some small payment, because it is an amazing advertising that clients most likely will see. Rest of the treatments 50% off for not busy days, sounds fair in my opinion...
I did my colleagues nails with some simple nail art and glitter the other day, guess what every other client had??? :) and we charge extra for that :)

Thank you, I think i will give them 80% off on all treatments.
After all i do have to pay for 1 of the staff who is performing the treatments an hourly rate. The staff who is receiving it will have to clock out.

Thanks again x

Wow I think 80% is way too generous... I'd give them 20% off, if that!

It's time you could be using for other full paying clients, I can't see why on earth you'd be giving such heavy discounts... Maybe one treatment a month, but where would it stop?

I don't think you should be paying them an hourly rate. Maybe just tell them they can have it in quiet time so if you are paying them, it isn't extra and it is giving your salon something to sing about. I'd say 1-2 treatments a month per staff member for 50% off and then they have 20% off all other treatments x

Free? Wow. You're too nice. Maybe 1 free treatment and discount others but it doesn't make sense to just basically hand out the profits! Xx

In the salon I work at we are entitled to 2 treatments a month for free. Unless the treatment is over £25. Then a discount is worked out. So busy though we very rarely have any treatments done.

Hi There :)

In my first spa we had 50% off treatments that included Gel nail, eyelashes, tan, facial, massage plus 50% products.
The current clinic i work in where we do 3Dlipo, Laser hair removal and skin treatments we currently get them for free as an incentive but only if the director approves.Basically if the director thinks you havent worked hard this month or met targets she wont be more reluctant.

3Dlipo - I would charge for the fat freezing pads but nothing else in my personal opinion. Also how are your clients getting on with it? have you had many good results??

If the treatment is half hour most of our girls would do it during the lunch break if any one was free. or stay a bit later as we normally work shifts.

Hope this helps

Roxie

@kittikit, you're way too generous. Maybe the girls are taking it for granted they get freebies and so don't value them any more. I would not expect free treatments at a salon I worked at, maybe a discount, but maximum 50% off and limited treatments as pinkbunny suggested.

I used to offer my staff to free treatments apart from a small contribution for spray tans, lashes they had their own trays, and shellac every 2 weeks. It had to be outside of their working hours and only on quiet times if a client wanted an appointment and a member of staff was booked in then the moment of staff got rubbed out.

I don't think that's over generous, any abuse of it work have seen the perks removed. Messy salon but time for each other's nails - no way. Perfect salon and a quiet hour doing nails - yes.

I'd be surprised to work anywhere that didn't let us do treatments for free. Outside of working hours or when there are no clients of course.
What would you even be charging for? The cost of product well then maybe for some treatments they bring in tray of lashes etc but if it's outside of working hours you aren't paying anyone so you have no loss.
It definitely helps bring in clients to see the treatments on a person- nails, lashes, tan, brows it definitely draws people.
When I wear rockstar nails everyone wants them! They cost more than normal shellac so it's win win.

I'd be surprised to work anywhere that didn't let us do treatments for free. Outside of working hours or when there are no clients of course.
What would you even be charging for? The cost of product well then maybe for some treatments they bring in tray of lashes etc but if it's outside of working hours you aren't paying anyone so you have no loss.
It definitely helps bring in clients to see the treatments on a person- nails, lashes, tan, brows it definitely draws people.
When I wear rockstar nails everyone wants them! They cost more than normal shellac so it's win win.
How would this be fair though if one member of staff is always busy and doesn't get any free hours at work whilst the others could be sat around doing nothing.. Would the one who is always fully booked have to work over to make it fair?

If they all had a discount it would make it as fair as the stylist, therapist wishes it to be...

How would this be fair though if one member of staff is always busy and doesn't get any free hours at work whilst the others could be sat around doing nothing.. Would the one who is always fully booked have to work over to make it fair?

If they all had a discount it would make it as fair as the stylist, therapist wishes it to be...

Work over why? No if she wanted go receive a free treatment she could stay over but that wouldn't be working.

I think as long as you cover your product cost, its in a quiet time and expect them to rave about it then its good incentive. you should also look at incorporating bonus sales, gets whatever treatment for them or a family member. (as it spreads the word and it also treats their family member- plus lets that family member know if they being a pain, how the treatment is like in a professional capacity!) ;)

Friends mates rates are always a funny subject and well they should be treated and pampered as everyone else paying- a regular client. (because mates are always the ones to mess you around, swap and change appointments and well just nick pick how professional you are):D:D

If we're promoting something in the salon, it does help to indirectly give out advice on how a product/treatment works because your staff feel valued and enthusiastic about each item in your price list!

If your renting or leasing it can help cross promotion but ensure it viable for you if you don't want to absorb the cost. xoxo

Work over why? No if she wanted go receive a free treatment she could stay over but that wouldn't be working.
I mean to give one of the other staff a treatment.

I mean to give one of the other staff a treatment.

If one person had been much busier with clients then they wouldn't provide any to staff and stay over that day. It's easy to work out and no one would be forced to do it! If someone has been busier with clients it's obvious they shouldn't do another therapist that day as they don't have the down time. They can work it out between them.

Latest posts

Back