What do I choose to do first?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyekandi

Reaction score
Ok hope this is in the right place. I'm looking to do a few courses in new year as with me working in a salon wasn't able to do NVQ 3 Beauty and they were only full-time courses available. I'm now on my own mobile and would like to gain further qualifications.

So do I do CND 5day acrylic course or Swedish body massage & Semi-permanent eyelashes?

Last edited:
What will the salon benefit from most?

I'm mobile so don't know how popular the sweddish will be, I am qualified in Indian head massage and this hasn't been that popular since i've been mobile. I have worked mobile part-time but am now looking to gain new clients and increase working hours.

I've taken on spray tanning which has proven very successful so not sure whether to go nails next or eyelashes next. So didn't make that very clear in first post :lol:

I'm in no way an expert, but I think there's more of a market for nails than lashes (at the minute anyway) plus, with lashes and massage mobile, you have to cart around a bed with you as well.

I plan on doing some further training and will do nails, tanning and lash extensions (in that order).

Sounds like you've already decided hun.

If you did do massage mobile, you would need a couch, a bag full of towels, etc, bottle of oil. The inital cost is in the equipment.

If you did nails, it would be less equipment but more products that would need replacing regularly. I suppose it depends on where you would do the nails, would you need a nail table?

In my experience, Acrylic Nails are the most popular treatment (and i offer a lot of treatments!) so i would think you will benefit more from having Nails as an option for your clients if you had to chose just one for now....

I think nails are probably more popular but lashes are becoming increasingly popular.
I personally would probably do lashes first as they are easier to master than nails. It can take weeks and weeks to feel confident enough to do a good set of nails. If you do the lashes first then at least you can be earning some money and start saving for your nail course :)

I think nails are probably more popular but lashes are becoming increasingly popular.
I personally would probably do lashes first as they are easier to master than nails. It can take weeks and weeks to feel confident enough to do a good set of nails. If you do the lashes first then at least you can be earning some money and start saving for your nail course :)
I agree with Angelina. Nails may be the most requested service but it is not just a case of doing a 5 day course to enable you to produce an acceptable set of client nails. Nails takes lots and lots of practice to gain proficiency.

Lashes seem to be every popular at the moment so perhaps add them to your service menu and then pursue your CND training. CND training is the absolute best - be perpared to work hard to master the skill of nails and you will enjoy the challenge.

Good luck! xx:)

When i first saw the question I thought of spray tanning as its relative easy to learn and the equipment cost is low which means you can get your investment back quickly.
Then when i saw you are already doing this successfully my choice would have been between nails and lashes and I agree with the others. Whilst nails are very popular there is also a lot of therapists already doing it and to make a mark you need to be very good to differentiate yourself of your competition that might already be in your area, plus I believe that the price you can charge for a set of nails will be a lot lower than what you can charge for lash extensions.

Whilst lash extensions are a bit more tricky than spray tanning, they are fairly straight forward and with the right training just need a lot of practice and the right knack to get into it! So far everyone who has started it has made a success of it and it really seems like lash extensions are not only a growing trend but also something that is requested all year round and not only for special occasions and with your regular clients needing infills it really gives a good income with not a lot of outlay! (and if money is tight some companies even offer to pay over a certain amount of months)
hth :hug:

I did mobile work for 10 years and now work from home salon. Without a doubt I would do the CND course you have looked at. The majority of money you will make as a mobile will be in waxing and nails. Years ago there was plenty of manicure work but this has dropped off as nail extensions and overlays have become more popular and now look very natural.

I have done aromatherapy massage but get asked for it less and less now. I don't know about lash extensions as I have not decided whether to do the course yet or not, am still looking at the long term demand for this treatment.

As I said I would definitely do the nail course first! :)

I would do what you think you would enjoy. Even if there is a demand for a treatment I personally would not undertake it if I did not enjoy carrying it out. It always shows if you really like your job and clients will pick up on your enthusiasm. :)

I am also mobile and after spray tanning my next step is CND acrylic course and semi perm lashes!

I've asked around quite a few people who said lashes and will come to me if i do it so am more geared towards the lashes at moment.

I started a nail course and was half way through when the college asked me to leave as they didnt have the health and safety in place to deal with me being pregnant. Popping tips on and blending i was really quick at but its the beads of acrylic application that i was struggling on. Also when i was in the salon i was shown by therapists who were CND trained and practised abit there but i found it harder to master. I guess it will be a time issue with lots of practise. This is also another reason why i maybe should look at lashes first but realise alot of practise is required with this too.

At least with nails i know i want to go down the CND route where lashes i don't know where to start!!:eek:

Thanks everyone it has answered a few of my questions :)

Well just alittle update I'm doing my lash course on 15th Feb and CND Foundation course on 22nd of March.

Very excited now!!:)

Well done, good choice and good luck xxx

Latest posts

Back