What do I do? HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo_boo1269

Reaction score
right, i just do not know what to do...

Ive been doing training since Dec 10 and so far i can do:
Spray tanning,
lashes (both semi and weekend)
waxing,
and i will be doing my nail qualification at the end of the month.

And I dont know what to do whether to apply for jobs and volunteering in salons to help gain qualifications or whether take the plunge and go self employed and then if i go mobile do i set up a shop or go mobile!

Ive thought about going self employed and have seen a shop with low rent in an ideal location and i have really looked into in an it seems like a gud idea but am i taking too much of a big risk too soon, should i so self employed and just do mobile?

I have gone for jobs and been knocked back as i dont have much expericence but ive been asking about volunteering and i may have 1 starting this week (fingers crossed!!)
What i was thinking if i get this volunteering job and go self employed? or is it too soon?

I am on benefits and it is just annoying me i hate it! i have to kids and i want to support them hence why i have been doing training since i lost my last job!

Somebody please help me and try and point me in some sort of direction!!!

Thank you for reading and i hope some one out there might be able to help me! xxxx

Hiya,

I would build up your client base with mobile to start off with. I took the plunge sraight into a city centre salon when I was first starting out and looking back, didnt think it through at all. I opened my salon with no existing cleint base and was closed in 6 month.

I worked in salons for quite a few years, but like yourself I have kids now and wasnt making enough money working for other people.

I started to build by client base through mobile work and over a period of 6-9 months, im booking 3 weeks in advance. I have never looked back!

I might try the salon again one day, but i know a whole lot more now. Work you way up slowly and build your reputation up.

Oh my lovely, my heart goes out to you. Its tough trying to support children and get off of the benefit system, and I have a lot of admiration for you that you want to work and provide for your family!!

TigeNails advice is very good as she has done salon and mobile with a story to tell.

I myself opened my own business upstairs in a hair salon without a client base!!

Fortunately it all worked out for me and that was definately due to the hairdressers downstairs pushing my services in those early days.

The rest was up to me once the client came upstairs.

I've never advertised, my whole client base comes from word of mouth.

It can be done but its a very risky proposal, can the job centre people help? I am wondering as you have undertaken training and have a set of skills that could set you up in business whether there is anything they could do to help?

I'm sure there'll be lots of advice from other geeks on this site and some of it may help you identify the right path for yourself.

Whatever you decide to do I am wishing you well!!!!!

Jacqui xx

Hi, i think you've had some great advice so far and i would add that you might be able to get some help from an enterprise agency. If you google enterprise and starting up in business you'll find the one closest to you. I know they help with many things such as funding, marketing, how to set up a business, accounting etc, etc. Best of luck hun and hope it works out for you :)

i'm so pleased for you getting out there and doing something you enjoy! and i know the feeling of not being able to get a job in a salon because you have 'no experience'. i ended up going straight into self employed mobile, its hard work and you need to advertise alot and building up a client base isnt as easy as it seems. i find leaflet drops door to door the best! i do think going mobile will proberly work best for you because you can do it around your kids too! i worked 9-7 in a shop 6 days a week to make the money to go mobile so being able to take days off when i want, and being able to go home for lunch and to take my dogs out is amazing. if you go mobile the girls on here are really helpful and will give you lots of support :D

Thank u all for your input!
looks like going mobile is the best, ive done a few odd jobs here and there, im just abit scared incase it does work out and i end up worse off than now!
Ive asked at the job centre, the woman i had just looked me and said i dont know what to say for the best... working for yourself isnt the best option ask you might not make any money... great! proper boost of confidence there! lol
Ive got a start up grant of £500 on the way.. so im going to put that towards some more training, and some money off the job centre for getting a job and im going to advertise til my names everywhere getting a friend to help me with a website and business cards and fb page and such. (I do have a business plan already made up for going mobile)
Then hopefully if my mobile goes good i could always try a shop as well couldnt i
Just hope im doing the right thing!
Thank u xxxx

If you have lots of supportive friends....a fb page can work really really well. Ask them to suggest your page to all of their friends.

How did you get the £500 pound start up grant if you dont mind me asking ?

its from a thing called wirral bizz its a scheme set up by the wirral council an you have to set a business up in the wirral postcode.

The other dilema ive been having is about this shop.... lol right its cheap rent in a good location and the guy that is renting it has said that i can give him a depo of £500 and i can have the shop rent free til oct..(to give me a chance to get clients and set it up) ive got most of the equiptment i need and i think it is a really good idea and my friend said he would help me start up for a 30% stake in the business... i dont know what to do... help!

xxxxx

Hi, can your friend loan you some money you need to set up rather than have a 30% stake in your business. I kind of think this will not be a good route for you. Just my own little advise.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

its from a thing called wirral bizz its a scheme set up by the wirral council an you have to set a business up in the wirral postcode.

The other dilema ive been having is about this shop.... lol right its cheap rent in a good location and the guy that is renting it has said that i can give him a depo of £500 and i can have the shop rent free til oct..(to give me a chance to get clients and set it up) ive got most of the equiptment i need and i think it is a really good idea and my friend said he would help me start up for a 30% stake in the business... i dont know what to do... help!

xxxxx

Hi,
I really dont mean to sound horrid when i say this but I think your vulnerability is showing way too much and people will be out to take advantage of you so please be very aware of this.
Its not only rent you will have to pay but there is also rates and utilities and all the other little things you havent thought of, even furnishing the shop could turn into thousands.
I would be wary of the landlord too, if something seems too good to be true it generally is. but i wish you every bit of luck with your venture :hug:

There are always empty shops, and deals to be had. This is not your only chance.

You are only trained in a couple of treatments, you need a bit more for a salon. You also need to give yourself time to really learn and practice your skills, as well as learning more about the industry.

I know that salon ownership is the big dream for a lot of people, but when you do it, do it at the right time, and do it to last. Informal rent agreements are a HUGE red flag. With no formal lease, when you have a pretty salon up and running, your gonna get slung out and that cheap rent will shoot up. Yes it really does happen a lot. Commercial landlords can be as ruthless as they come.

If you have only 6 months in the industry, the staff you employ to do the treatments that you don't do can bamboozle you then rob you blind. This also happens a lot.

After all, do you know how to nick out of a salon till? I do. Plus I catch people!

Do the groundwork first, then go for your salon. We will all be cheering you on xx

Latest posts

Back