What do I need to be mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink_n_fluffy0

Reaction score
The title says it all really, what exactly do all you mobiles have?

this would be good to know..

most of my clients come to mine and the ones that i go to, i normally do hair up and that sort of thing..

looking to do a bit more in peoples houses (colouring relaxing etc) and will therefore have to take a few more things with me..

once ive worked out what it is i will need il let you know so we can share ideas..

:hug:

please dont get offended i know this is going to sound funny....but..... everything ud need to do somebodies hair normally! lol why do u think its going to be any different?

u need all the same products..all the same equipment, the same amount of towels...it doesnt matter where u do somebodys hair, if u need something particular like hair grips for a hair up, whats different with doin that in ur own house to somebody elses?

if anything is different its probably that u need to take more care over spillages etc. extra towels are good and u can get floor squares to put down, and have a few gowns...dont want to be using a gown uv just permed someone in on someone else.

write a list of everything ud use in a cut, cut and blowdry, perming, colouring, relaxing, and theres ur answer :)

OK! I have three different sizes of bag. :eek:

- One is a small Headjog briefcase-style one I take for barbering (bought @Salon International 07) It fits clippers (I know, but some clients insist!) 2x mirrors, my pouch, 3x scissors, several barbering combs, a hygiene spray for anything I use if I'm doing more than one client, gown and rubber collar. I usually put a couple of issues of Hair magaine in there for tips as I find guys aren't as good at articulating what they want done. Oh and a neckbrush!

- Then I have a brilliant Hairtools one which has a handle, and two separate sides with loads of sections, which I use for ladies styling (about £20 from ebay and I've recommended them to hair-friends since). I can fit dryer, products, 2x mirrors, gown, collar, 8/9 types/sizes of brushes and plenty of combs, GHDs, and there's a zip up side with sections for all my scissors. The only thing I struggle to fit in is my backwash size shampoo and conditioner!! Not rainproof though as there's no lid/top!

- Lastly I have a foldable wheelie suitcase (£20 from Ikea!!!) I take for technical work, inc hairups. I can fit all sizes of rollers, heated rollers, curling irons, 3x GHDs etc in there, as well as grips, loads of brushes and as many products as I can fit in! Or I can fit all necessary colours, developers, bowls, bottles, meche etc. I always take my own towels for colouring and I can probably squeeze in two, plus my colouring charts (I bought a second-hand l'Oreal book to assist clients.)

My tip is to make sure you do a good telephone consultation, especially for a first time client. If I know a bit about their hair type, I can take fewer products/ brushes with me if I am short on space. If I'm doing a full day (I have another f/t job too, so only work p/t now) then I sometimes have a bigger bag in the car and pack some bits out of it outside the clients house with everything I need specifically for them - e.g. if I am choosing different shampoos or conditioners, I wouldn't lug them all into every clients house, I leave the ones I don't need in the boot!

PS. I usually have a spare gown in the car (after a baby puked on the mum client once) !!

PPS. And of course, all my bags fit business cards for clients to give to friends :)

please dont get offended i know this is going to sound funny....but..... everything ud need to do somebodies hair normally! lol why do u think its going to be any different?

u need all the same products..all the same equipment, the same amount of towels...it doesnt matter where u do somebodys hair, if u need something particular like hair grips for a hair up, whats different with doin that in ur own house to somebody elses?

if anything is different its probably that u need to take more care over spillages etc. extra towels are good and u can get floor squares to put down, and have a few gowns...dont want to be using a gown uv just permed someone in on someone else.

write a list of everything ud use in a cut, cut and blowdry, perming, colouring, relaxing, and theres ur answer :)

While I understadn what you are saying I dont really do anyones hair at home so dont have all the stuff yet. So while its simular to doing peoples hair at home its very different to doing it in a salon.

OK! I have three different sizes of bag. :eek:

- One is a small Headjog briefcase-style one I take for barbering (bought @Salon International 07) It fits clippers (I know, but some clients insist!) 2x mirrors, my pouch, 3x scissors, several barbering combs, a hygiene spray for anything I use if I'm doing more than one client, gown and rubber collar. I usually put a couple of issues of Hair magaine in there for tips as I find guys aren't as good at articulating what they want done. Oh and a neckbrush!

- Then I have a brilliant Hairtools one which has a handle, and two separate sides with loads of sections, which I use for ladies styling (about £20 from ebay and I've recommended them to hair-friends since). I can fit dryer, products, 2x mirrors, gown, collar, 8/9 types/sizes of brushes and plenty of combs, GHDs, and there's a zip up side with sections for all my scissors. The only thing I struggle to fit in is my backwash size shampoo and conditioner!! Not rainproof though as there's no lid/top!

- Lastly I have a foldable wheelie suitcase (£20 from Ikea!!!) I take for technical work, inc hairups. I can fit all sizes of rollers, heated rollers, curling irons, 3x GHDs etc in there, as well as grips, loads of brushes and as many products as I can fit in! Or I can fit all necessary colours, developers, bowls, bottles, meche etc. I always take my own towels for colouring and I can probably squeeze in two, plus my colouring charts (I bought a second-hand l'Oreal book to assist clients.)

My tip is to make sure you do a good telephone consultation, especially for a first time client. If I know a bit about their hair type, I can take fewer products/ brushes with me if I am short on space. If I'm doing a full day (I have another f/t job too, so only work p/t now) then I sometimes have a bigger bag in the car and pack some bits out of it outside the clients house with everything I need specifically for them - e.g. if I am choosing different shampoos or conditioners, I wouldn't lug them all into every clients house, I leave the ones I don't need in the boot!

PS. I usually have a spare gown in the car (after a baby puked on the mum client once) !!

PPS. And of course, all my bags fit business cards for clients to give to friends :)

thank you that was very usfull, I hadnt thought of different sized bags.

Hi there,
I have been operating a mobile hairdressing service with many contract operators for 11 years now. I have just completed writing two e-books one for mobile hairdressing - "kickstart", and the other the wedding hairdresser - these include our experiences of what worked and what didn't and all sorts of other mobile hairdressing related downloads, pricing charts, stock and equipment,advertising templates and other business related matter etc etc .

If you contact me via our contact page on our new website - http//easy-hairstyles-everyday.com
I will start you in the right direction, and you can request to go on the list for the new e-books which will be available in a couple of weeks.

This site is constantly growing and we will shortly have a members support area for hairdressers just like you.

regards
Sandra Lamb

While I understadn what you are saying I dont really do anyones hair at home so dont have all the stuff yet. So while its simular to doing peoples hair at home its very different to doing it in a salon.

I do both, i work in a salon renting a chair and i do mobile so many days a week, as well as at home, to me there really is no difference between any of it. i didnt mean to offend, i really didnt, and becstar has given u a very detailed list, if uv not worked as a hairdresser at all then its an understandable question, the only thing i find any different is the fact that i have no mirrror in front of me majority of the time, which isnt an issue at all and they have to put their head over a sink rather then back in a basin.

ur best bet really is to make urself a checklist, even with a detailed list from becstar, go through each procedure as u would do it noting down what u would use, maybe add on a few more towels, combs etc. i wish u loads of success, it really is the best job in the world! :)

... erm a car! And whilst that may sound a rather facetious reply I have known people be mobile without one and use the bus. anyway good luck with your new venture! Not an easy time to be running any business at the moment never minding starting one from scratch. Good on you!

don't forget your insurance chick, salon gold will insure you for about £40 a year x

Latest posts

Back