What do I need to open a beauty salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all so negative, I've known people who come from the offices in the city who know nothing about restauraunts, bars, nightclubs but have a passion to make things work. Guess what? They've been successful. You all seem to think that I think its easy, I know its not. And beleive me I 've had enough good and bad beauty treatments to know whether someones done a set of nails right. I am doing a hell of a lot of research I only come on here thinking that maybe just maybe you guys could offer some sound advice.I was wrong!!! For example, seems to me like no ones even heard of a mintel report. Now they are huge consumer group who do research in trends and most importantly the market itself which is a huge factor to be included in a business plan. You all missed the point that I suggested an idea to my accountant and he helped me develop this idea I had into this. Yes maybe I am ambitious, but there is nothing wrong wiith that. I as surrounded by people that are ambitious, I have one friend of mine-another accountant, who next month is launching a company that will be going into direct competion with directory inquiries. This is a field he knows nothing about but still managed to get 250,000 from the bank as loan. You should all know by now in this world its not what you know its who you know!!

:grr: Sounds like youve got it made - go for it - but just dont expect it to be an easy ride.

Let us know how you get on - we are not a bad bunch - just passionate - there is SO much advice on this board from people who are ALREADY in the situation YOU want to be in - its your choice to take advice or not.

Im sure we will all be interested to find out how you get on

Just to add

A business plan really means diddly squat in terms of what will ACTUALLY walk through your door

Consider this......

You go to Mr Bank Manager and give him your business plan, that suggests that you will make X amount per day, based on X amount of clients booked in....... the next year you will have got a client base (hopefully) - therefore maybe taken on more staff, so you will be earning X amount more than year one.........

All looks very very pretty on paper, but the harsh fact of the matter is WHAT WILL YOU DO IF YOU GET NO ONE through your door?

All that money has to be paid back somehow......... where will it come from if your salon is not bringing that in??

Just something else to think about.

Its not a case of opening your doors and in they come like a heard of cattle.

Mooo moo.

You all so negative, I've known people who come from the offices in the city who know nothing about restauraunts, bars, nightclubs but have a passion to make things work. Guess what? They've been successful. You all seem to think that I think its easy, I know its not. And beleive me I 've had enough good and bad beauty treatments to know whether someones done a set of nails right. I am doing a hell of a lot of research I only come on here thinking that maybe just maybe you guys could offer some sound advice.I was wrong!!! For example, seems to me like no ones even heard of a mintel report. Now they are huge consumer group who do research in trends and most importantly the market itself which is a huge factor to be included in a business plan. You all missed the point that I suggested an idea to my accountant and he helped me develop this idea I had into this. Yes maybe I am ambitious, but there is nothing wrong wiith that. I as surrounded by people that are ambitious, I have one friend of mine-another accountant, who next month is launching a company that will be going into direct competion with directory inquiries. This is a field he knows nothing about but still managed to get 250,000 from the bank as loan. You should all know by now in this world its not what you know its who you know!!

obviuosly u rate urself quite a bit kaala , we may know nothing about mintel reports , but thats not our field w love our jobs and are passionate about what we know . we are not just money minded .
who cares that ur friend has managed to get a 250,000 loan from the bank . his business idea also seems to be a bit far fetched to considering directory enquiries is so popular . seems to me u r keeping up with what everyone else is doing eg getting loans and starting a business . my advice is to stop bragging and get on with it if u know so mauch about it . us geeks were here to help but take it as constructive critism love.

also u said
you should all know by now in this world its not what you know its who you know!

I couldnt disagree more with this phrase . I WOULD RATHER GO THROUGH LIFE KNOWING THAT MY BUSINESS WAS SUCCEFULL BECAUSE IM A GOOD THERAPIST NOT BECAUSE I HAVE A GOOD ACCOUNTANT AND KNOW THE RITE PEOPLE . I PERSONALLY COULDNT SLEEP AT NITE KNOWING THE SUCCESS WASNT DOWN TO ME . I SAID ENOUGH ON THE MATTER NOW SO NOT GOING TO EGG U ON FURTHER KAALA . I WISH U ALL THE BEST ANYWAY , I GUESS WE JUST HAVE A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION .

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS THE BUTTONS STUCK!!!!!!

Okay this is my final reply to this....Firstly Kalaa I gave you a lot of advice in my first reply to you and I feel quite offended that not once have you said thankyou.Just told us that you thought you would get advice ,but thought wrong!!:eek:

Please re-read your opening thread...you told us that the accountant told you that you should open a salon,I wont repeat it all word for word because it starts to get a bit boring.

as for the Mintel report,why would we know anything about it???we do our own research and look at trends ourselves,this is done by reading through magazines,going to beauty shows,using the internet,not asking some company to do it for us....Also sorry...but you asked us in your opening thread how to make sense of the Mintel report ,so You didn't know much yourself at that point either did you?

As for your last statement what a load of garbage,no one that I knew sat my exams for me,nobody took my place at college for 3 years...nor did anyone do that for anyone else that I know of.We got where we are through shear hard work,certainly not by who we knew..with an attitude like that I can see exactly where you will end up.:rolleyes:

I think you Accountant friend is on commission! How can anyone recommend that you set up in a business that you have absolutly NO experience in? I admire anyone for having a go in business but without any proper training/research/experience in the business I would be very surprised if it lasts more than a few months. Either get to college or get a VERY experienced therapist as a manager.

As a tax payer I would also be very miffed if my hard earned cash was being dished out willy-nilly to anyone who decided over night to set up in something they had no idea about. Surely you have to provide a business plan or demonstrate your ability to some form of a comittee?

The mintel report tells the business people I believe what joe public are spending their money on and what is growing...to enable business people to Jump on the bandwagon and make lots of money...and then disapear after a few years as quick as they appeared. People who usually have no insight into the industry they want to embark on.

Id say go with your accountant, hes obviously good with figures!

please could I have his number as I am opening up at the end of Nov and could do with an easy obtainable loan at the moment by what ever means possible, 100k is a good amount:)

Hold it there...

i have a diploma in business and finance... I have heard of the mintel report... I know what a mintel report is and I have actually used it numerous times..

I realise that some of the comment made may seem harsh... but please do not tar us all with the same brush...

I wish you good luck with your business..

Kalaa, unfortunately there are lots of people who will be negative because in their opinion only people who have been in the 'biz' for years and years and have soooooo many customers, read soooo many magazines and are soooooo busy can open a salon. What they forget is to open their mind a wee bit. There are many nail techs/therapists who are fairly successful even though they are not that good (maybe due to good positioning and good business savvy) and there are also very good techs/therapists who arent successful (maybe due to bad business savvy and management). It swings both ways. If you find them rude thats because In my opinion they are a bit miffed at the possibilty that someone clever can come along and open a salon without any training. We all know its possible even if they dont want to admit it. Well dont worry they probably wont get over it any time soon. They are trying to warn you however that it will be hard and you may well fail because this is a difficult and fickle business sometimes (because women can be quite difficult and fickle sometimes). Im also taken aback by how offending some of them can be. If you are like me and have a gift in knowing 'what people want' (yes..its quite an important aspect of the customer service world!)then like me you'll be quite confident that you could branch into many different careers and give a good service. Although I did go to college and was always good at my job so it will be extra hard for you, you never know you may start training and realise you will never be 'that' good. But I hope you do well. I cant wait to see what replys I'll get now for supporting you! Haa

Just to add

A business plan really means diddly squat in terms of what will ACTUALLY walk through your door

Consider this......

You go to Mr Bank Manager and give him your business plan, that suggests that you will make X amount per day, based on X amount of clients booked in....... the next year you will have got a client base (hopefully) - therefore maybe taken on more staff, so you will be earning X amount more than year one.........

All looks very very pretty on paper, but the harsh fact of the matter is WHAT WILL YOU DO IF YOU GET NO ONE through your door?

All that money has to be paid back somehow......... where will it come from if your salon is not bringing that in??

Just something else to think about.

Its not a case of opening your doors and in they come like a heard of cattle.

Mooo moo.

Sorry pmsl at that one francesXXX

Think kaala has taken all our advise the wrong way.

There is nothing we can do if she doesnt want to take our advise or see that it is practical advise rather than negative as she says.

Just wish her luck.
:rolleyes:

I would say im shocked by this, but im not!!
I have all the tools, qualifications, access to money, plans whatever i need to set up a beauty business but lets be realistic before i put a lot of money on the line
1. i want a bigger client base to rely on!!
2. I'm not stupid

I no thats harsh but i've watched two successful businesses in my town get ruined by people who have a few quid and think that running a salon is all glamour and money!!
its a joke and i think its something that has potential to damage our industry i know it sounds extreme but they dont no how to deal with clients, have strange expectations of their therapists
They dont set realistic standards, because they dont no how too; whether thats too high or too low.
They always go for the quick buck rather than sustaining business the right way.

I firmly stand by the fact that to be successful in beauty you need to work successfully within the beauty industry

like the others have said hun get qualified do work and get salon experience then reassess the situation; with the right tools you can be fantastic salon owner also if you are as qualified as your staff, you know what your talking about and there is less risk of the wool being pulled over your eyes not to mention your staff will respect you and you'll know how to keep them happy then!!

O MY GOD!!

my first comment was based on the first post; ive now taken the time to read the comments and responses that followed and a red mist decended!!

kaala I have a degree in business and Hnd in Beauty Therapy not blowing my own trumpet but TOP qualifications in MY industry and you know what
IT MEANS NOTHING!!

If i cant produce decent sets of nails and facials to my clients, knowing what mintel is wont help me!!

If I cant troubleshoot for my staff, as their boss, why a set of nails they have done are lifting and help rectify the problem; should i really be their boss??
because its this kind of troubleshooting that matters not advertising or sensitivity reports; you can spend millions on advertising but if you cant keep them people it attracts is it worth it?? I think not ... reputation is everything in our industry; it will fly round quicker that your nails are crap!!

Surely the comments you have received should be a wake up call and obviously the demeaning comment you wrote towards the true professionals in our industry is a defensive act as you have nothing substantial to back your claim that opening a salon is a good idea in your position

surely when you decifer the mintel reports you will see that most areas of the country are saturated with salons and most salons set up fail aswell as the fact that trends dictate what you offer which everyone else also offers!!​
if you get my gist?!!

Good luck in your venture

i wash my hands of the subject now!!!

blimey! what a strange read. I'm actually sitting here with my hands hovering over the keyboard and having a mixture of emotions.

I can see both sides of the story.

Kaala wants to open a business, and is going to train in it.

i think what took everyones breath away was your opening statement, if it had been worded slightly differently, I do believe you would have got a more warmer response.

Some good points made and some good counter points made too.

Good luck in your endeavour.

Hi kaala ,
Its just that you are going to be totally reliant on your staff,
they will know a lot more than you do , (Trade wise ) and they could
steer you in the wrong direction ,

The staff are the ones who are going to start your buisness off for you ,
and you will be like thier trainee rather than their boss,

I think you would be better starting off the salon yourself and doing it all your own way (after some training)

thats all :hug: x

Were Saks or Nails Inc started by business people or beauty/nail people? I don't know but they're both very successful.

The Mintel report is great for telling you what people are spending their cash on now, but what happens if our fragile economy changes.
We are all waiting to see what will happen with the worldwide mortgage market, if there are frugal times to come, one of the first things women cut back on is beauty treatments.
Just be aware when you go for your 90k loan that times change, and we all need to know that we can cope if times get tough, and I personally would be ashamed to let the UK tax payer pay the brunt of my mistakes.
Personally I would concentrate on your training first then start small.
Out of little acorns, great oak trees can grow.

I dont mean to be ungrateful to those who have given me some sound advice, or even constuctive critism. When I talk about nagativity, I'm looking at all the posts and the majority have been very negative almost to the point of taking the mick out of me, now I dont know know but just quite simply saying "you can't do it" is not constructive!. To those who feel I should work my way up I understand your feelings and said the same to my family and friends-which some include beauty technicians/therapists. Now some have agreed and some have said it's not neccesary because as long as I have good staff and a good business head and attitude I'll be fine. I know you think I've come on here and make it sound like I think its easy, but honestly I really dont, I know its gonna be hard and maybe it wont work and I'll probably be living on less-if any- than minimum wage. I know all of this, thats why I come on here cos I started panicking. But all the negative comments have made me even more determined to prove those of you who think I cant do it, wrong! Lets be honest one of the main key points is to have good staff, because customers are loyal to their therapists, not their salons! Just because I'm not trained doesn't mean I dont know the difference between badly done nails and what makes a good therapist! I have been a customer for so many years, I know what "bedside manner" works when you're having a bikini wax, I know the importance of how a customer is treated by their therapist to make them come back, I know what environment a customer wants when they're having a facial. I know thats not gonna get bums on seats so to speak but if I can get people to come in once, I know they'll come again. I've got some inovative ideas to set my salon apart from any local competion. I know the importance of making someone feel special the minute they walk through the door. I have run many bars and I know its not the same but I have many transferable skills that will be a bonus to anything I turn my head to.

To those who have given me some advice and constructive critism, I thank you because it has helped me!

I think the overwhelming point here is if it were that easy (if at all!) we would all have our own successful salons employing lots of therapists and would be able to give you lots of advice.

I think the very fact that there is only a small percentage of geeks that has what you want speaks volumes, most of them if not all have years of experience in the industry. Many of us have our business but not many can say its worth £90,000 or can we ?!

I would love to have my own salon in the future but I would prefer to know the industry inside out before I take the risk of borrowing such a huge amount of money and id want to know id actually got some clients to pay it back to start with.

i am so new to this.as new really as 10mins and have not much knowledge of the computer so i hope this is coming across right. i jst read that question u answered to and i feel the same.. im quite bloody angry actually!
if it her own money id say carry on u ignoramus but she is intending getting a loan from the government who us bloody hard working tax payers are giving our cash to to get herself up in business in the industry that we day in day out are studying trying to come a sucess of or become more of a sucess but its all down to hard graft and taking a risk as the public r so hard to please! anyway i was glad of ur reply and i hope she now has second thots about it.. nicola..

oh my god, i am in complete shock - are you taking the mickey? you just think you can set up a beauty salon!? :eek:

I havent even got the energy to write my true thoughts down, just had to express my absolute shock at how people view this complex industry,

oooooh i think i'm gonna open a docs surgery next year, i'll just pop along and do some of thier simple training!!!

Well good luck with any new venture and research is important, rather than going in blind.

You might want to review your Insurance cover though - apparently a lot of the insurers have been spooked by the tooth Whitening problems recently - my insurers won't now cover Tooth Whitening and even tooth Jewellry might be a problem, so I tried switching policies to Salon Gold as their website says it covers these services, but when I asked for written confirmation, this is the reply I got yeaterday,

"Hello Sam

Thank you for your email. However, we have presently suspended this cover
pending further decisions from our underwriters.

We are sorry we are unable to help you on this occasion.

Kind regards

Alison French
Salon Gold Insurance"

I know not everyone will have fallen for the smooth salesmen talk of loads of customers and easy money for this type of work, but what happens now if a Lawyer's letter lands on the doorstep claiming all kinds of harm and compensation?

I'm keeping well away from it now.

Did anyone see the report in Which? magazine last month on this?

Anyway, have good insurance and business systems in place in case you are ever (rightly or wrongly) accused of doing harm or breaking the rules etc.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but you've got to cover yourself and not be personally liable if sued, or you could lose everything if insurance doesn't cover you and your defence legal fees.

Sam.

Thought I would add something after reading about the teeth whitening

It has been brought forward by a Dentist (quite high up)that ONLY qualified dentists should be allowed to use this equipment and he was calling for an immediate end to Beauty Therapist using this type of equipment.

The article caught my eye in a paper, as we had been discussing teeth whitening in college(ironically). I think that the insurance companies (who by the way keep an eye out on different movements in each industry) are getting jittery about the governments proposals on teeth whitening and the industry as a whole and also Dentists concerns about it not being professionaly applied etc. We should watch this space as they say:eek:

Latest posts

Back