What do I need to open a beauty salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH MY GOD!!
There is so much i would want to say, but really cant be bothered to get started or i will never stop.
Firstly, Who the hell do you think you are!!
I wont be polite, I dont mince my words!
Myself like everyone else on here (or so I thought)
as gone through years of training, myself - 3 years at college, and endless extra courses, and you think with some advice from a stupid accountant and some money you can go and open a salon.
Well, to answer your first question in short, "what do i need to open a salon?"
My advice to you is - COMMEN SENSE!
Because if you had any you wouldnt think that you can do it, I feel so insulted!!!
Just for the record i spoke to an accountant a couple years ago, who adviced me that beauty is not the business to be in for the money!
But im in it for the love of the job, and do well myself.
WITH NO EXPERIENCE IN BEAUTY, BUSINESS, MANAGING STUFF, SORTING OUT WAGES, DEALING WITH CLIENTS AND THEIR BEAUTY PROBLEMS, AND ALL THE OTHER THOUSAND AND THOUSAND OF THINGS YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW AND DO, TRUST ME, YOU HAVE NO CHANCE!!!

PICK A NEW HOBBIE!!! :rolleyes:

:irked: :eek: :mad:

My earlier post would not have been so 'negative' as Kalaa puts it if her original post had not been so offensive. Sorry Kalaa but you did say that you can get a government loan but 'only have to pay it back if your succsessful' So what happens if your not? Bye bye tax payers cash. Sorry but that just makes me bloody angry especially as we are a heavily taxed nation yet our services are so crap (NHS, education, underfunded military at war etc) I know it's not your fault that the government decide to dish out cash but it's your flippant attitude towards it that make my blood boil.

I have a friend who has a succsessful salon, he is not a therapist but he has very good reliable experienced staff and management and more importantly used his OWN cash for the project.

I see your pressing ahead with the idea from your new post 'where do I buy equipment' so please come back to us in a year or two's time to let us know how you get on. I genuinly do hope you succeed so that you can repay the loan that came from our tax

1) It's not just YOUR tax it's mine, my mums, my dads, my sisters, my brothers, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, my nans,my grandads,my great aunts, my great uncles, my second couins, my greatgrandmas, my great grandpas. I think that's enough tax to cover my plans?!?!?

2) I am putting a lot my own money into this aswell!

3) This is what a small business loan is about, its intention is to cultivate thriving business's that helps the economy of the country!

4) I didn't just wake up one day and go "hey I want to open my own salon" I am completely serious about the business and intend to make it work, and not lose my money and the goverments.

5) I came on here because this is meant to be a place where someone can come on and get some advice on the business, though I have had some very helpful comments, I have mostly been bombarded with lots of hateful and useless comments. What is the point? Do you feel happier by putting me down? I am doing everything I can do to research all aspects of running a beauty salon, but there are some things you just cant google(before you all jump on me about google, thats a little bit of a joke!!)!! Sometimes you need advice from people who are in the business and thats why I came on here, but when I read your comments-those that are negative and hateful- I feel like some of you are jealous because maybe you've studied hard and I haven't and you've invested all your money because maybe you wasn't aware that you could get financial help. You shouldn't be jealous and hateful, I come on here because when I open my salon, I want to things right, I want to provide a service that is a credit to this industry. And maybe I'm not a qualified beautician but I want to employ people who have high standards and a manager who knows the industry inside out and be my right hand man/woman. So if I have the financial back, quality staff, a great location(which I'm working on), with that all in place, though I am prepared for the worst, I feel it could actually possibly work, and I'll do everything in my power to make it work!!

1) It's not just YOUR tax it's mine, my mums, my dads, my sisters, my brothers, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins, my nans,my grandads,my great aunts, my great uncles, my second couins, my greatgrandmas, my great grandpas. I think that's enough tax to cover my plans?!?!?
It is everyones tax, no matter what you say.:irked: You're taking a very selfish view over this, quite egocentric in my opinion. If everyone who opened a small business had this view then the normal percentage failed, our economy would be a national disaster.:grr:
I'm not saying don't start a salon if you want to but why not start smaller then add more treatments, products etc as things become more successful. When I started my business 6 years ago I borrowed £5000 and was very worried about that, but it was enough to get my Guinot opening order, and I financed everything else my self.
The reason people have been slightly negative on this thread all stems from your attitude. Asking for help is one thing, but you have been quite arrogant in the way you have done it. You obviously have no respect for the many talented people on here who have sweated blood and tears to get only half of what you are proposing to do with tax payers (and some of your own) money.
You seem to be determined to carry on your own sweet way and I wish you good luck (you'll need it) for the sake of our hard earned taxes, but please try to understand why you have put some peoples back up.

Hi Kaala,
Although I had nothing to do with the beauty industry I opened a small salon with my daughter 3 months ago who is a qualified therapist with 6 years experience under her belt.
She is passionate about her job and loves coming into work everyday and all the clients young and not so young love her.
She didn't want anything to do with the business side of it so that is all down to me.
So far we have done really well in fact we have surpassed what we expected to do in our first three months of trading.
The thing is we couldn't have done it without each other,and as long as you can find staff that are passionate about their job and love what they do then I don't see why it is not possible....we have done it.
We are about to take on someone part time and I am just hoping that we can find someone as commited as my daughter.
Having said that it has been hard work and some days I feel completely knackered and wonder if I will ever have a normal life again !!
I think what I am trying to say is with the right people alongside you it is possible although it is extremely hard work,the other plus side is that if you succeed (and you sound like you will)you will have also created employment for a number of people and that surely is only a good thing.
Good luck and let me know how you get on.
Fliss

I appreciate that you may have the business head to make a success of it, but when you come on here asking for advice from people that have entered the indutry in a different way than yourself then you have to expect negative comments. Please be respectful of the way others have done things especially if you want advice from them.

There will be times when you will need the advice from the qualified professionals on here in connection with what you staff are doing. So while you want to stick to your way of doing things dont walk all over those that will potentially help you in the future, because you wont get the help when you need it most.

Dont forget this site is to help those professionals in the industry that have started from the bottom up and alot have proved to be very successful in doing so.

Good luck.

Odette is spot on, it's not your plans it's your attitude. Everyone will have a different view of this but you seem very quick to jump down the throats of those that do not agree with you.

When you have a client that complains about their treatment will you react in the same way?

I have been re-reading this thread and I think Kaala has got this Geek thing sorted.....did you want this reaction? I personally think she will be ok because for whatever reason she posted this ad, it wasnt for the reason and advice she was seeking....am I right?

Kalaa

How do you presume to know if you are employing quality staff if you know nothing about the beauty industry, the treatments they are providing and how they should be carried out.

Even if you have no intention of working hands-on yourself, you should go to college and do the training so that you know the correct procedures. If you don´t, staff may well walk all over you because you don´t know the ins and outs of a beauty salon. High quality, reliable staff are not THAT easy to find! 1000s of people graduate from beauty schools every year - don´t assume that they are all cut out to be in this industry just because they have a diploma and the gift of gab!

Well said Judith, I was in the wholesalers the other day when I was told a girl who had qualified through an academy was unaware of what Barbicide was!!!and this was only because the manager was talking about the nippers not going rusty in barbacide!!!!

It is everyones tax, no matter what you say.:irked: You're taking a very selfish view over this, quite egocentric in my opinion. If everyone who opened a small business had this view then the normal percentage failed, our economy would be a national disaster.:grr:
I'm not saying don't start a salon if you want to but why not start smaller then add more treatments, products etc as things become more successful. When I started my business 6 years ago I borrowed £5000 and was very worried about that, but it was enough to get my Guinot opening order, and I financed everything else my self.
The reason people have been slightly negative on this thread all stems from your attitude. Asking for help is one thing, but you have been quite arrogant in the way you have done it. You obviously have no respect for the many talented people on here who have sweated blood and tears to get only half of what you are proposing to do with tax payers (and some of your own) money.
You seem to be determined to carry on your own sweet way and I wish you good luck (you'll need it) for the sake of our hard earned taxes, but please try to understand why you have put some peoples back up.

I feel quite upset at how everyone has had a go at me. I came on here asking for help without attitude, but the minute I came on the site nearly everyone has shot me down, insulted me and went as far a taking the mick out of me!!!! If that wouldn't get your back up and make you angry then you aint human!!

I'm planning to open a beauty salon in a busy shopping centre next year but I don't have a clue what I need to do! A family friend told me I should open a beauty salon as its one of the highest growing sectors in the economy. He's a very succesful accountant and will do the business plan for me to get a government loan which if obtained, (which I'm sure it will because he has got it for many people) it means only if my business is successful will I have to pay the loan back. The problem is I am not trained in any aspect of beauty or business, but I am a bright spark. I'm looking into doing some courses with the london school of beauty and make up. But what do I need to start my own beauty salon, I want to include, hairdressing, nails, st tropez spray tan, dermoligica facials and massage.
What equipment will I need?
How much space will I need?
How many workers will I need?
What licences do I need?
What insurance do I need?
How much will it cost to turn the space into a salon?
Who do I get to do it?
How much do hairdressers get paid or how they get paid? (I heard sometime its commission based)
I want two beauty technicians who can do nails, facials,tans and massages, how much do they cost?
What level of training is required and how do I check?
How do I make sense of the mintel reports?
What is the average cost of starting up a salon from scratch?

I know I'm asking a lot but if any of ou who have any helpful advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Kalaa

two words...

Jade Goody

Were Saks or Nails Inc started by business people or beauty/nail people? I don't know but they're both very successful.

Thea green started nails inc, she was a vogue fashion editor i think. She then found Helen Harvey who is opperations manager or something like that, she has the nail know how. Thea just wanted to set up a service for women with little time, based on her own experiences of getting a manicure being a busy lady.

Nails inc prefer to employ non nail tech managers, or they did when i was with them, which put enormous pressure on me, the assistant when the sh*t hit the fan, because i was the only manager with the know how. I eventually ended up running the nail bar myself because the manager was crap.

I left shortly after because i felt they were in it for the money not the quality of service to clients.

I am, Kalaa, like you totally new to this industry. I have spent 20 years in Marketing and running a product training team,after running a small independent kitchen centre - this is relevent - so bear with me, I will share of my findings with you.

My husband is a hairdresser and is taking over an exisiting hair salon with a few staff and the owner is going semi retire and work for him. I thought that my 20 years for dealing with people at all levels would make it easy for me to transfer into this industry as we planned my role would be to look after the "business side" of the salon.

However, after spending hours and hours on this site and talking to everyone I could, whilst I could run some parts of the business the one thing I would lack would be being able to speak with any sort of credibility with anyone we empolyed.

I am now investing all of my time getting the right training - good training is not cheap or fast. There are loads of threads on this site that you will find really helpful.

We are based in a London borough and to offer nail serivces a liecence is required it does vary from borough to borough - but in our case we must have the relevant qualifications - and for nail services only certain qualifications are accepted, so it would be a good idea to check this to ensure you do the correct courses and employ people with the qualifications you require them to have.

Relying 100% on employees is going to be quite risky, and when they know more than you, even more so. I would suggest you think about this carefully when deciding what serivces you are going offer.

With regard to the brands you wish to deal with, check what their trading requirements are - as some will require you to be trained to a certain level first before attending their product training.

Once you have found the unit you require and can afford - it can take months and months for the legal side to be sorted out - ours has been ongoing since Feb. If a change of use is required this will increase the time the transaction will take. Whatever time you think it will be - treble it when planning your fiances, if you are going to be without income whilst waiting for the salon to be set up.

I understand that you are upset at some of replies you have had, but take a deep breath and step back for a second - most of the comments are from very professional people who have spent years and small fortunes training. I think they are extremely passionate about the industry and doing things the right way. Try not to take offence.

I do not post often as I do not feel I have much to contribute at the moment but this site has been the most incredible help to me, it has prevented me from making some terrbile mistakes - I do not know another industry where you would get some much help and support. I am sorry this has been so long - and if you have read this far I am impressed!

Good luckwith your venture and although you are annoyed now do not ignore the advice you been given - we often hear things we do not like, you may look back and discover it was the best free advice you will ever have.

I feel quite upset at how everyone has had a go at me. I came on here asking for help without attitude,
Your attitude showed by the way you didn't think of others who have worked so hard to achieve what are attempting to do with no previous experience or training. Throwing (someone else's) money at a project doesn't mean you're going to end up with something great without the experience. As Katelisa said, look what happened to Jade Goody's salon.
but the minute I came on the site nearly everyone has shot me down, insulted me and went as far a taking the mick out of me!!!! If that wouldn't get your back up and make you angry then you aint human!!

Kaala, did you actually read and take in what I said? The reason people have reacted negatively stems from the way you have posted.
A little bit of humility goes a long way, not just here but in real life as well.
You have been given some good advice, it just may not be what you want to hear.
As for other's reactions, I will reiterate for you:

The reason people have been slightly negative on this thread all stems from your attitude. Asking for help is one thing, but you have been quite arrogant in the way you have done it.
You obviously have no respect for the many talented people on here who have sweated blood and tears to get only half of what you are proposing to do with tax payers (and some of your own) money.

Kalaa, I am a legal executive by trade, and I used to share what I suspect might be your view (apols if not) that the beauty industry is for blonde bimbos who cannot aspire to much more in life, and how hard can it really be to paint nails and wax legs? Well, something happened recently which forced me to change my view of what I want in life, and to cut a long story short I decided to train as a nail tech, having had my own nails done for some years and having an enthusiasm for this specific trade. I can tell you that it has really opened my eyes. I have worked in cuthroat legal offices, however all of them are beaten by the beauty industry. You really do need to be at the top of your game to succeed, you need to be talented, ruthless and sharp, and that is no under-statement. I am ploughing on, but it certainly isnt the bed of roses I thought it would be. (for the record geeks, I apologise to one and all for my former view of this industry!) there are so many telented and well established therapists and techs out there, if you establish yourself as anything less than highly qualified and experienced, they will just eat you for breakfast.

Your view that you can just open a salon because your accountant told you to is bizarre, and not reflective of someone who has the disposition to create the foundations of a successful business. The statement that you have made is akin to someone saying "I've heard that NHS dentists are hard to come by, I think I'll open a dentists surgery". People arent trying to score points by having a go at you, they really are genuinely bemused by your plans.

Hey, I hope you prove us all wrong and that you succeed, but, and this isnt a point scoring comment, I really think you are going to fail drastically with the plans you have in mind, and I would urge you to reconsider.

I have only just really read the whole of this thread and although a little disappointed on how it has progressed, I am not surprised.

To Kalaa - if someone was to say to you that they were going to do what you have spent years of your life slogging your guts out to make a go of, but they had no experience and all it took was money and someone who could manipulate the system. I bet you would be up in arms.

This is what has happened here, if you were to only sit back and see it from their side, you might realise that it is their passion which has sparked this "negativity". Passion, not negativity.

No one wishes you any ill and as has been said several times everyone wishes you luck but they are warning you that it is not as straightforward as running a pub etc.

To everyone else, please be mindful of the Geek Commandments and post as you would like to be posted to.

I am not going to close this thread YET as I am keen to find out how it progresses, hopefully in a positive way and that Kalaa does make a success of the plan.

Happy geeking! :)

I don't know how it is in UK, but in Norway there are lots of successfull businessmen/women who starts their business in fields they don't know anything about. I just don't understand why we in the beauty business thinks our business is more complicated then other fields.... Everybody who run a business have to work DA** hard to get it up and running.

C.

I don't know how it is in UK, but in Norway there are lots of successfull businessmen/women who starts their business in fields they don't know anything about. I just don't understand why we in the beauty business thinks our business is more complicated then other fields.... Everybody who run a business have to work DA** hard to get it up and running.

C.

because there is a skill involved. it would be like me opening a garage... :rolleyes:

because there is a skill involved. it would be like me opening a garage... :rolleyes:

Don't you think there have been businessmen who have opened a garage and had success, WITHOUT being a mechanic? Aren't there skills involved in every field?

(Ps. there is no need of being sarcastic here.)

C.

Latest posts

Back