What do I need to open a beauty salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaa

Reaction score
I'm planning to open a beauty salon in a busy shopping centre next year but I don't have a clue what I need to do! A family friend told me I should open a beauty salon as its one of the highest growing sectors in the economy. He's a very succesful accountant and will do the business plan for me to get a government loan which if obtained, (which I'm sure it will because he has got it for many people) it means only if my business is successful will I have to pay the loan back. The problem is I am not trained in any aspect of beauty or business, but I am a bright spark. I'm looking into doing some courses with the london school of beauty and make up. But what do I need to start my own beauty salon, I want to include, hairdressing, nails, st tropez spray tan, dermoligica facials and massage.
What equipment will I need?
How much space will I need?
How many workers will I need?
What licences do I need?
What insurance do I need?
How much will it cost to turn the space into a salon?
Who do I get to do it?
How much do hairdressers get paid or how they get paid? (I heard sometime its commission based)
I want two beauty technicians who can do nails, facials,tans and massages, how much do they cost?
What level of training is required and how do I check?
How do I make sense of the mintel reports?
What is the average cost of starting up a salon from scratch?

I know I'm asking a lot but if any of ou who have any helpful advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Kalaa

Goodness,I am quite taken aback that just because you're accountant has told you that the beauty industry is one of the fastest growing sectors,that you have decided to open a salon with absolutely no understanding of the business and no qualifications as of yet:eek:

The beauty industry is a massive one,yes but it certainly does not happen overnight,it's not a case of getting your qualifications then opening a salon and away you go.Not at all,it takes an incredible amount of hard work,determination and experience to make a good go of it.

I'm not trying to sound harsh here,but in all honesty the idea of you opening a salon next year is not very practical.It takes approximately 2 years to get an advance Diploma(Level 3) in beauty,then tbh it is better to get yourself some experience before embarking on opening a salon.With this in mind I'm not sure if you would be able to get a business loan,I dont really know how they work tbh.

You could go for the basic level 2 qualification in beauty then a level 3 massage qualifcation if you dont intend to use electrical treatments,but this still takes a year.However there is the short 5 day courses(which IMO are rubbish and certainly will not give you a good grounding for a new business at all)

Why do you want St Tropez and Demalogica have you done any research,tried various samples,seen what is being offered in other salons close to where you plan to open your salon??It takes a great deal of time and efforts to decide on what brands you are going to use,especially facials.

As for wages ..well that will depend on the employees experience,qualifications etc.

Licenses depend on where you work for instance I work in Hampshire and dont need one,insurance is something you need to look into and make sure your qualifications(when you get them)will be recognised by the insurance company you wish to use.I am with Professional Beauty,which are very reasonably priced.

As for all the staff that you have mentioned taking on, it might be best to see how the salon runs before embarking on all these staff members,it's not a case of opening a salon and having a full appointment book,not at all...it's something that happens gradually.

You seem to have high expectations and I hope not too high,Good luck though. Your accountant friend is right about the beauty industry but being an accountant I'm surprised he has led you to believe that its just a matter of getting a business loan and away you go.

There are many geeks on this site who can tell you how hard it is running a business,a beauty business,nail or hair business that they know all about,that they have been qualified in and have years of experience in and yet they know how much of a struggle it is as well.

The beauty business isn'y just about making money it's a very people orientated job,there is skill involved as well,I hope you enjoy your training and that one day you have a very successful career.

Hi , No wonder your accountant is such a successful accountant , seems to have the gift of the gab , seems he/she is in a win win situation I am sorry but i think your accountant is looking after his own successful business , friend or no friend ,
I think this is bad advice to you ,
(sorry if this is not what you want to hear)

I would ask the opinion of a Business adviser, ( not an accountant who may see you as a lucrative client ),

if you do go ahead yes we will all be here to help answer any questions
but I think you are diving in to deep all at once ,:hug:

yes the beauty sector may be growing and that means more competition too, but it takes an awful lot of know how to stay up there and be successful ,
did your accountant also tell you how many really good Beauty businesses fail too ? through competition ect ?

I am not saying it cannot be done , and if you do go ahead I would use this year for a crash course in Business and beauty basics , or you could very well be ripped off left right and center ,

With so many questions , you may find it better if you type in a search of individual questions of what you need to know ,
then you could look at all of those answers first,

hope this helps good luck let us know how you are getting on :hug:

So let me get this straight you can apply for a goverment loan to open a business and if it fails you don't have to pay it back !!!! I am really shocked at that tbh.

Personally I think you should train in the industry first before you make a decision about opening the salon but that is just my opinion.

As I only rent a room I am not sure how much it would be to start a salon from scratch but I would probably guess around £20,000 minimum.

I totally agree, in my opinion i dont think you should just go into business because you have heard that it is an easy busness to go into, it takes a lot of hard work and a huge amount of effort to become a profitable & successful beauty salon.
You say that you are going to get a grant to open a salon, in my opinion i think it will be quite hard for you as it seems like you just woke up one day and thought "hmm i think ill own my own salon" Fair enough if you already have the money and skills behind you... but you dont.
Im not trying to sound mean, it just irates me to think that some people are quite shallow minded when there are people who have been to college, done all their research and its taken years for them to become successful.
It doesnt happen overnight.

So let me get this straight you can apply for a goverment loan to open a business and if it fails you don't have to pay it back !!!! I am really shocked at that tbh.

Personally I think you should train in the industry first before you make a decision about opening the salon but that is just my opinion.

As I only rent a room I am not sure how much it would be to start a salon from scratch but I would probably guess around £20,000 minimum.

Ok - My salon is in a side street off of the town centre, we have done it up on a shoe string budget - I refused to get a loan - its cost in the reigion of 40k so far. Thats not including my rent, bills, stock etc etc.

Yes it really is THAT expensive.

I am not taking a wage yet (luckily I am in the position to be able to do this) - I work 6 days a week and have no money for myself. Not a penny, I even put my tips back into the business.

I think you should be trained - if you dont want to do this I'd suggest getting a manager in there that has considerable salon experience - but they dont come cheap!

I am totally amazed at this as well , how does this work ?
do you need to show some sort of business plan etc ?
how much do they loan you ?
how much time do they allow you to say if you are successful or not ?

and if the business was successful do you have to repay it all back at once or in installments etc ?

this seems to good to be true ,

How can the government afford to do this ?

Someone I know has spent just over £50 thousand to start a beauty salon from scratch , but has also had many years experience too ,:hug:

oh my god, i am in complete shock - are you taking the mickey? you just think you can set up a beauty salon!? :eek:

I havent even got the energy to write my true thoughts down, just had to express my absolute shock at how people view this complex industry,

oooooh i think i'm gonna open a docs surgery next year, i'll just pop along and do some of thier simple training!!!

oh my god, i am in complete shock - are you taking the mickey? you just think you can set up a beauty salon!? :eek:

I havent even got the energy to write my true thoughts down, just had to express my absolute shock at how people view this complex industry,

oooooh i think i'm gonna open a docs surgery next year, i'll just pop along and do some of thier simple training!!!

I think that the (family friend accountant) has suggested all of this this to kaala and informed Kaala that he will apply and get the loan for her ,

as Kaala isnt qualified or anything she may lose all her Business and the money she puts in to it ,
and the government may lose all their money too ,:eek:

an accountant shouldn't give out advice like that to an untrained person it is irresponsible and bad business advice don't you think ?

in my town the rents for the shopping centre are around £120,000pa rent for a single unit and for a prime position in the town around 80,000pa and for the quieter streets you will expect to pay around 60,000 pa

Hi Kalaa

Firstly I think everyone should have goals in life. They help give us courage and determination. So good for you!

Many of your questions would be answered when you do your training. I like that you are a 'bright spark' but the beauty industry isn't for everyone. It takes not only skill (unfortunately some still think anyone can do it) it takes a special person who 'enjoys and welcomes people' and a great deal of knowledge, ambition and passion for their work.

My advise to you would be to get into training first and when qualified to NVQ standard 2 and or 3 get yourself some salon experience and then you will have all the unanswered business questions answered.

All the best with your ventures.
xx

I think that the (family friend accountant) has suggested all of this this to kaala and informed Kaala that he will apply and get the loan for her ,

as Kaala isnt qualified or anything she may lose all her Business and the money she puts in to it ,
and the government may lose all their money too ,:eek:

an accountant shouldn't give out advice like that to an untrained person it is irresponsible and bad business advice don't you think ?

i think the accountant is also known as a joker (no offence)

blimy !!!!!!!

i also have no knowledge about opening a salon so cant offer any help on your questions as im not qualified to do this .!:lol:

also , i dont mean to sound nasty but do u really ant to waste around £30,000-£50,000 if it all goes wrong ? i know u said u could get a grant (not that i have ever heard of this type of one ) but u surely have to put in ur own dosh to?!!!!!!!

the only real option u have to be honest is if u are really desperate to do it then start the salon but rent out the chairs . space . treatment rooms etc so that all teh staff are self employed and maybe u can just run the salon and do reception , as realistically u wont get trained to an adiquit standard in time . theres alot to do in a year , u need to know contra-indications of treatments , do client cards etc and also all the health and safty thats involved to not to mention risk assesments to . i used to run a retail store in a busy location and its not just the service u r offering u need to learn its all the behind the scenes stuff to . if u employ then u need contracts , disciplinery procedures and payroll to consider , i used to work 10 hr days and its a hard slog . u will also need to balance the books to . not to mention ordering stock , laundry for the salon , the list is endless .

as said above im not qualified yet and def not qualified to give u sound advice on oping a salon but im basing my opinions on my previuos role as retail manager . i am studing my nvqs at the mo and realise that beauty therapy isnt an easy job at all and many of us geeks have a passion for the business . i am hoping to qualify next year and work from home 2 days a week the year after . i feel this is realistic for me .

maybe u could consider a yr plan as a year is def not enough! good lluck for the future tho and as said above its great to have goals . if u feel u can achieve all this then u r a better woman than me as i wouldnt do it ! i think i could faint at the thought of it all !

i think the accountant is also known as a joker (no offence)

Hi bexi that is what I'm thinking,
I definitely think that Smilers advice to get some NVQ training first is a very good idea ,

much better advice than the accountants , lol

as Kalaa said she is bright, so it would be a great idea to train first as she could perhaps fast track on some intense NVQ courses :hug:

(Hey Kalaa you will propably be amazed at all the answers you have on here LOL:hug: but dont worry we are a friendly bunch ,

I must also say welcome to salon geek hope we haven't bombarded you all at once :hug: x

I had a buisness loan of the princess trust fund my business struggled and after 3 years I gave up and still had to pay the money back.

And trust me you dont get that much maximum £5000 in very rear case most are around 1-2 thousand and i had to have endless meetings with the board

I had a buisness loan of the princess trust fund my business struggled and after 3 years I gave up and still had to pay the money back.
Hi that is sooo harsh , :hug:
sometimes it can get so hard you feel like you are just throwing good money after bad,
its better that you got out now than carry on losing more money :hug:

Im actually so much happier, Im mobile now and still have my clients its perfect for me as my son has just started school. The stress the salon caused me was unbelievable and I come from a business background. It one of the most hardest things I have ever done in my life but it was my passion and im so glad I did do it.

Id just like to say how i worked 10 - 10 pm some night purley because I loved my job I would never do it just because I was advised to you have to be passionate about it as everyone will no its hard work physically and emotionally and your family life can suffer

Im actually so much happier, Im mobile now and still have my clients its perfect for me as my son has just started school. The stress the salon caused me was unbelievable and I come from a business background. It one of the most hardest things I have ever done in my life but it was my passion and im so glad I did do it.

Id just like to say how i worked 10 - 10 pm some night purley because I loved my job I would never do it just because I was advised to you have to be passionate about it as everyone will no its hard work physically and emotionally and your family life can suffer

It is such a tremendous tie you have to be there practically 24/7 and I agree the stress is enormous , I'm so glad you are happy now,:hug:
I wouldn't do it again either , as your time is never your own ,
yes its great having your own place but it has many downsides too , like working all the time ect , mobile suits me a lot better too,

do you mind me askin minky what happened with you? you can pm if u prefer or not reply!!!

hehe

becki xxx

For all those who think my accountant is a joker, please bear in mind, he is not being paid he is doing this because he is a family friend. Me! He is hugely successful and from what i hear from one of his accountants he got somewhere in the region of 20,000 just for a business plan. This is what he'll be doing for me for free, I will be putting in ten grand of my own money and my accountant is looking at obtaining somewhere in the region of 75-90 grand. He will not be making anything off this he is just trying to help me get started on my own feet.

I didn't just wake up one day and decide I wanted to open a salon, but my accountant has always said if I come up with a business idea he would help me set it up. Now I have done some market research and decided that the health and beauty trade is one of the most successful and constantly rising services. Now I have run pubs and bars all my life, so I am never going to be comfortable with opening up an office, I would need to open up a business were there is a personable factor as I'm a total people person. Now I had a very simple idea beauty related, and I sat done with my accountant and I explained my idea to him and eventually that simple idea evolved to this complicated one. As far as training goes, I'm not going to be doing the courses cheaply and quickly just to fit them in!!! I dont expect to be fully qualified within a year, please I'm not that ridculous. I just want to at least start on the basics and definately do health and safety so as when I employ people I'm in a good position to know whether they are following good procedures or not. Once I'm actually in business I am planning to learn part time as my partner will be helping me run the place, I can leave him to run the place while I go off and study, yes I know it takes long but it is possible.

Yes there is a government loan called a small business loan that is given by the government. Well it is directly paid by the bank with a twenty five percent risk, for example, the bank give me 100,000, the government will definately pay back the bank 75,000 so they only risk 25, 000. Easy as that, it all depends on the business plan and believe me my guy is good!! Many peolple dont know about this loan the same reason why they dont know about many things to do with the government. IF YOU DONT ASK THEY WONT TELL YOU!

Now to those of you who put my idea down, please I came on here to get constuctive advice or critism, if you think I'm gonna fail and its a bad idea, what do you care?

Latest posts

Back