what do i need to open a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_hoarau

Reaction score
hi, geeks

i need help, i want to open a salon in my village but what do i need to open the salon, i do have every equipment and hopefully a place. what's a must to have when open a salon?:rolleyes:

can u help geeks!!!

thanks
Presh

Equipment, premesis, business account, accountant, insurance (public liability, professional misconduct and indemnity etc), cash in the bank - you may run at a loss for a few months, be prepared for that, therapists / receptionist, accounts with suppliers, health & safety checks completed, any license requirements from local council, advertising budget.

hi, geeks

i need help, i want to open a salon in my village but what do i need to open the salon, i do have every equipment and hopefully a place. what's a must to have when open a salon?:rolleyes:

can u help geeks!!!

thanks
Presh

I am sorry but I have read your post over and over and I don't understand what you mean.
Are you qualified? Please dont think I am being rude because I'm not I just dont understand .
If you are qualified, and already have a place, and the equipment what do you need to know?
Fozzyo has given you a list of the other requirements which are needed in addition to your equipment.
You will need clients and excellent staff as well for it to be a success.!

Please be more specific, that way more geeks may be able to help.

hth. x

hi

whom do i contact for these safety check ect..., i've been a beauty therapist for 8yrs and im not from u.k so i dont know where to go to ask for safety check, licence ect....., so help me where to go.:irked:

many thanks
Presh

opening a salon is a HUUGE thing.

without the proper preparatins, knowlege and experience it can all go wrong VERY quickly. There are so many salons that open up for a couple of months, then close down again!

I think that this is due to inexperience (in their indistry and running a business) amoungst other things.

I think there may be better ways for you to run your own business, how about renting a room in a salon? you may be able to use the salon owner for a bit of business advice that way too, like a bit of a mentor.

How long have you lived here? Is your written and spoken english fluent and good enough to run a business for english clients (sorry i cant tell from your posts) , because lack of communication could prove FATAL for any business let alone one where you rely on a thorough understanding of what the client wants.

It would be helpful if you filled out your profile properly aswell. =]

Be v careful, my friend opened her salon in May this year and is only now building a good client base, and she was mobile before and all those clients stayed with her, but a salon needs loads more. She only opens Thurs (late night), Fri (late night) and Sat. She had £5,000 for her start up costs and that has now all gone, plus she spent £20,000 on her salon, doing it up, equipment etc. I think she has been living on baked beans for the last two months.

Good luck with everything and I hope its a success for you. :hug:

I'm about to move into a room which is ready prepared for me to plonk all my stuff in and start.
Its been recently decorated, laminate flooring, hand basin and shower cubicle behind a door.
It also has a massage couch, couple of white free standing cupboards and a glass display unit that can be lit up.

I already rent a room, so don't particularly want to have to double up on equipment until I'm sure that its going to work.

I've asked for a 3 month no-strings start, which the owner initally agreed to.

I've also asked if I can pay per calender month so less confusing.

I'm hoping to 'get away' with buying a pile of towels and a couple of ornaments. got flyers designed, and will transport hot stone unit, etc from venue to venue. easily double up on essential oils and carrier oil, can have 2 sets of hopi ear candles, etc, etc.

I;m not simplifying things here, its just that I don't want to go OTT and then decide after 3 months that it isn't going to work out.

Also, is 3 months long enough to make a decision? the business courses I've been on have said 3 years to build up a business. I haven't got that type of money to subsidise a room that isn';t working.

After 3 months, will be signing a year contract.

opening a salon is a HUUGE thing.

without the proper preparatins, knowlege and experience it can all go wrong VERY quickly. There are so many salons that open up for a couple of months, then close down again!

I think that this is due to inexperience (in their indistry and running a business) amoungst other things.

I think there may be better ways for you to run your own business, how about renting a room in a salon? you may be able to use the salon owner for a bit of business advice that way too, like a bit of a mentor.

How long have you lived here? Is your written and spoken english fluent and good enough to run a business for english clients (sorry i cant tell from your posts) , because lack of communication could prove FATAL for any business let alone one where you rely on a thorough understanding of what the client wants.

It would be helpful if you filled out your profile properly aswell. =]

i opened an unbelievably successful salon a year ago with no experience of business what so ever, and scared to death, but i took the plunge cos i was earning pitence....i am now about to look into a second salon. yes you clame a loss for the first year, but thats for your expenditure and it does you good!!!!! i have never been minus in my accounts since week one.... everything you need to start your own salon comes to you as soon as you start doing it....i promise..if i can anyone can xxx

this is bull sh** i opened an unbelievably successful salon a year ago with no experience of business what so ever, and scared to death, but i took the plunge cos i was earning pitence....i am now about to look into a second salon. yes you clame a loss for the first year, but thats for your expenditure and it does you good!!!!! i have never been minus in my accounts since week one.... everything you need to start your own salon comes to you as soon as you start doing it....i promise..if i can anyone can xxx

well done, your one of the lucky ones.

Why dont you check with your council and environment agency? they will give a a list with things that has to be done before opening your salon.
Also trust yourself and do lots of research before and I am sure your will be succssefull.
Anca x

Just because one person makes a success of a business and just jumps right in does not mean everyone can.It should definately not be entered into lightly especially with no knowledge of how a salon is run ..good or bad.

Hello hippychick ,
im just reading through the posts i would think about giving yourself more thn 3months.
I am self employed and have been for 5months now and still i have very quiet days where i maybe only have a manicure and maybe four walk in eyebrow waxes.After a few months of being not too busy it does stress you out cos you start to woder weather it works but if you be stronger advertise what your selling ,
i have a big A oard outside of the salon and i decorate it up every month and put different treatments on and people passing by will come into the salon , aso they look and think oo thats a good deal thinking its a special offer but not realizing everything i advertise outside is full price , i dont cut my prices for certain times of the years cos i think thats tacky , think about packaging treatments up , that looks better .
It is tough starting up i still have lots more treatments i would love to introduce to the salon but i have to b patient and wait until the time andm oney is right.
I have always done st stropez tanning and dont do it right now but what i am doing is producing questionaires to my clients including Hair salon clients to see if i could make the money and right clientelle as it is alot of money to spend for something that maybe wont work.

But i hOpe it all goes well and good luck

Bye x

I'm about to move into a room which is ready prepared for me to plonk all my stuff in and start.
Its been recently decorated, laminate flooring, hand basin and shower cubicle behind a door.
It also has a massage couch, couple of white free standing cupboards and a glass display unit that can be lit up.

I already rent a room, so don't particularly want to have to double up on equipment until I'm sure that its going to work.

I've asked for a 3 month no-strings start, which the owner initally agreed to.

I've also asked if I can pay per calender month so less confusing.

I'm hoping to 'get away' with buying a pile of towels and a couple of ornaments. got flyers designed, and will transport hot stone unit, etc from venue to venue. easily double up on essential oils and carrier oil, can have 2 sets of hopi ear candles, etc, etc.

I;m not simplifying things here, its just that I don't want to go OTT and then decide after 3 months that it isn't going to work out.

Also, is 3 months long enough to make a decision? the business courses I've been on have said 3 years to build up a business. I haven't got that type of money to subsidise a room that isn';t working.

After 3 months, will be signing a year contract.

thanks for the reply.
I'm going to 'make it up as I go along' and see what happens.
I will be starting on Nov 1st.

I agree, 3 months is a bit of a short time to judge it. I think its just a safety net for me going in initially.

Like the idea of an A board.

going to get some banners made up, and plan to add to the treatment menu.

i dont think you should be putting people off their dreams with negative comments, i never had rented space in a room etc, before i opened my own salon, it can cost nearly as much!!

Eeek Liz.. settle pettle.. i admire your passion but i dont have a salon as such.. does that mean i can have no input??
take it from me.. your advice is valid and welcoming.. but your a wee bit confronting.. I KNOW you are just trying to make your point and doing so in a manner that suits you.. the way you post has no bearing on me i actually admire it in a way.. but as we are all here to help eachother try another approach.. remember babes you catch more flies with honey!!!

the good thing is we can all have different opinions.. and we should all be able to voice them.. I aint lecturing you, just dont want to see you get into a crap fest.. and thats where this is heading.. :green:

PS My dad doesnt have a salon but i wouldn't dream of talking to anyone BUT him if i needed advice on planning a business venture.. owning a salon does not mean you are the only person who can have input.. there are so many avenues to explore!:hug:

Despite a warning from one of the moderators to tone down her language Liz4real chose to ignore it and her posting in this thread became more and more offensive, she is now sitting on the wrong side of the ban fence. I've just tidied the whole thread so that it may now be continued in a constructive fashion.

Geek on :hug:

Latest posts

Back