What do we think about competitions to drum up 'likes'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BotoxBoy

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I read that it can be a good idea to get more likes on our facebook page by running a competition?

I've started offering a new eyelash prescription only treatment and thought about a competition to get the idea out there and drum up interest!

What do you think? Has anyone else ever done anything like this? Did it work?!

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
This is definitely something I have been thinking about, I have a friend who owns a very sucsessful spa and she runs monthly competitions on her Facebook page...
I seem to find it really hard to get likes on my page and when they do, interaction is hard going ! Maybe competitions are the answer !

Although I don't want to be giving away treatments too much !

Anyone else tried this ?

Jo x

This is definitely something I have been thinking about, I have a friend who owns a very sucsessful spa and she runs monthly competitions on her Facebook page...
I seem to find it really hard to get likes on my page and when they do, interaction is hard going ! Maybe competitions are the answer !

Although I don't want to be giving away treatments too much !

Anyone else tried this ?

Jo x

I've had six new likes in the past hour... And two new inbox messages from clients listing over 20 names they have suggested my page to (the conditions I set to enter the competition)!

Wow! Working already!!! Oh and I forgot to say, salongeek people can also enter for the new lash treatment! I'd love some of you to review it for me! PM me for more info tho x

Adam your Facebook page is fab !
I think I am going to have to have a go at this , my problem is majority of my more mature clients aren't on Facebook , a lot of my likes are from friends who aren't even clients ...
Don't get me wrong I am busy in the salon and not struggling for new clients but would love more from Facebook.
My page is The Tranquil Moment Health and Beauty Clinic
I have no idea how to put a link from here !

I think this is an excellent idea but am a bit flummoxed when it comes to ideas.

I don't understand what I could offer a free treatment for ! :o

I thought of offering a discount to people for sharing my page?

I'd be careful with competitions on Facebook as I'm sure I read somewhere (maybe a link on here) that comps for new likes and shares are not allowed in the rules for a page :/ just check first as they could shut your page down with no warning ): x

Ooh really...better check that out .
Thanks x

I ran a facebook comp in April, we have got a lot of likes from it. Only things is our winner hasn't been in contact. We have messaged them twice through facebook and posted several times that the winner will find a message in their facebook email from us. But still nothing :( I'm thinking of doing another draw.

Hi I did a competition for a £10 voucher and I got over 150 new like I assume via word of mouth was really good defo worth a try

Hi I did a competition for a £10 voucher and I got over 150 new like I assume via word of mouth was really good defo worth a try

That's a really good idea!

How exactly did you word the promo for the £10 voucher? :) would be very interested to see if there is any wording people react to well :)

Hi I just ran the comp on my own Facebook page and on my local advertising Facebook site and I just wondered something like:
Hi everyone I am currently running a competition on my Facebook page if you like the page you will get entered in to the competition to win a £10 gift voucher to redeem on any treatment

That isn't word for word but it was along them lines but it is defiantly worth doing cause I have so many new clients to my site and loads of new business

I ran a 'like' competition off my page, i did first person to get me 5 likes gets a free spray tan, it got the word out quickly but deeply regret only doing 5 likes, ive just got 101 likes after 5months :/ i should have done 20 haha xx

The way facebook want you to run a competion is:
You can state you have a competition on a stutus but ALL aplications MUST be via email & the anouncement of winner must be via email.

Basically making it a pointless excercise.

I was going to do a win a spray tan competition for mothers day last year but found the rules so silly that it meant it was a pointless thing so didn't do it.

Here are the rules:
Facebook

If you run a competiton that doesn't follow their rules they can delete the competiton and even remove your page completely without any warning so please be careful.

What do the mhra & nmc think about offering a prescription only medicine as a prize?

I think if you look at the thread botoxboy is running a competition to win a free lash serum not Botox ....

I think if you look at the thread botoxboy is running a competition to win a free lash serum not Botox ....

It is still a prescription only medicine. Botox boy you need to remove this offer as what you are effectively doing is advertising a POM which is illegal. This facebook information can be used against you as evidence, should you be reported to the NMC. I would strongly urge you to get rid of as soon as, aside from the fact that really it devalues the medical aesthetic industry by running 'facebook' offers. Not a great way to go in my opinion.

It is still a prescription only medicine. Botox boy you need to remove this offer as what you are effectively doing is advertising a POM which is illegal. This facebook information can be used against you as evidence, should you be reported to the NMC. I would strongly urge you to get rid of as soon as, aside from the fact that really it devalues the medical aesthetic industry by running 'facebook' offers. Not a great way to go in my opinion.

Good point. We'll reword it and change it. It had slipped my mind!

All gone... yes we don't want to be advertising a POM as that is against the rules... Will have to find a new way to promote something...won't be long to will do though...

All gone... yes we don't want to be advertising a POM as that is against the rules... Will have to find a new way to promote something...won't be long to will do though...

Im glad I came across this. I run a competition on Shellac. Client lets me take a pic when they have it and then they are able to tag themselves and share it, the pic with the most likes at the end of the month gets 10% off their next Shellac and 10% off a treatment they havent tried before.

It was good to start with, got some new likes and new custom from it and it got my name out there but it had its draw backs. The winner wont be using her 10% off another treatment which is what Id worried might happen, obviously I wanted to get people trying other treatments, and all the people she got to like it didnt actually have to like the page first.

I am still rolling with it this month though, going to see what happens although now Im concerned Facebook will pull my page! Eek!

Botox boy is there link to your page so that I may check it out?

Latest posts

Back