What do you do when clients arrive really late?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny71

Reaction score
I have never had this prob before but in the last few days I had one client arrive 30 mins late...it was early on and quiet so I let it go but declined her request to pick her up from the bus stop!

and today one didn't arrive on time who had paid up front for her treatments already. I called her after 10 mins, no reply and then 40 mins later she called back to say that she was lost and outside my address (no idea where she was but she wasn't...bizarre)....I couldn't fit her in today (without putting other customers out by pushing their appointments forward) so am left in a predicament as to what to do on the day of her reschedule, whether to add an additional charge for the next appointment and if so how much? 25% 50%??? it was a Shrinking V Wrap and 1/2 hr massage so around 2 1/4 hrs treatment

I need to get this sorted in my T & C but just wondered what everyone else does?
Cheers:biggrin:

I've had people show up 15 minutes early for a 1 hour appointment. What happens is, they get 45 minutes, they get charged for the hour, and when they arrive I say something like, 'Your appointment was scheduled to start 15 minutes ago and I'm booked back to back so you can only have 45 minutes'.

I have never had this prob before but in the last few days I had one client arrive 30 mins late...it was early on and quiet so I let it go but declined her request to pick her up from the bus stop!

and today one didn't arrive on time who had paid up front for her treatments already. I called her after 10 mins, no reply and then 40 mins later she called back to say that she was lost and outside my address (no idea where she was but she wasn't...bizarre)....I couldn't fit her in today (without putting other customers out by pushing their appointments forward) so am left in a predicament as to what to do on the day of her reschedule, whether to add an additional charge for the next appointment and if so how much? 25% 50%??? it was a Shrinking V Wrap and 1/2 hr massage so around 2 1/4 hrs treatment

I need to get this sorted in my T & C but just wondered what everyone else does?

Are you difficult to find where you are? Do you provide new clients with precise directions?

This is difficult as she's paid up front, what is your policy if she just hadn't turned up and not paid anything at all?

I think in this instance, although annoying, you have to treat it like she hasn't given you anything and give back the money then charge as you would for her next appointment. Has she offered for you to keep part of the cash, most genuine people would do?

I had a lady 25 minutes late for her nail appointment, she left me with 40 minutes to do her nails. I offered to (at a push) do white tips or a nude acrylic, no polish, she was still fussing asking for them to be painted with glitter and a bow... I was like 'are you for real' so sent her on her way, she hasn't been back and I'm glad, I lost an hour's work and had no respect for the fact I was still going to squish her in.

I would usually do a 2 strikes policy though, ya don't need messers but you will get genuine issues, it's just working out which is which...

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

It may sound harsh, but in my t&c I have that if you are 10 or more mins late, we have the right to cancel or fill your appointment. My appts are usually hour blocks, so when they turn up 10 mins late, then have to fill out the client card, then have to get changed and re dressed etc, I can't squeeze an hour facial into half an hour. If they do arrive late I let them know I will do what I can in the time we have left. They still get charged full price (you have to use your discretion here) and they don't seem to be late again!

Mine's 10 minutes late for nails or if they'll have something 'non-fancy' I'll squish them in or they're turned away.. I haven't had anyone pay me, as much as losing time is an issue if it's only once, I think they deserve another chance.. If you charge, they're more than likely just gonna go elsewhere and bad mouth ya - people would only hear their side and we'd be the bad ones..

Tans/party lashes only get a couple of minutes allowance for being late, they are warned that I only book out 15 minutes so if they're late they won't get their treatment, funnily enough they generally arrive on time.

No on a main road leading out of town centre! and on my website I have address, postcode, photos of the outside and landmarks

This is difficult as she's paid up front, what is your policy if she just hadn't turned up and not paid anything at all?

I think in this instance, although annoying, you have to treat it like she hasn't given you anything and give back the money then charge as you would for her next appointment. Has she offered for you to keep part of the cash, most genuine people would do?

I had a lady 25 minutes late for her nail appointment, she left me with 40 minutes to do her nails. I offered to (at a push) do white tips or a nude acrylic, no polish, she was still fussing asking for them to be painted with glitter and a bow... I was like 'are you for real' so sent her on her way, she hasn't been back and I'm glad, I lost an hour's work and had no respect for the fact I was still going to squish her in.

I would usually do a 2 strikes policy though, ya don't need messers but you will get genuine issues, it's just working out which is which...

If she hadn't turned up and not paid she would have lost her deposit...due to last min cancellations and no shows I have started to charge a small £5 deposit for any treatments over £30....so that would have been it....I used to do the 50% of treatment cost for now shows but recuperating that wasn't worth the hassle

I am still waiting to hear back from her but the bottom line is I will have scheduled out 4 1/2 hrs in total for 2 1/4 hrs work by the time she comes back. Still not sure how to proceed but I defo need to get this clear for now onwards :) thanks ladies

I work from home, therefore, I have the luxury of being able to schedule 30 mins between each appointment so that if my clients are late, they still get the full treatment. However, if they are so late that this runs over into the next client's time, they lose part of their treatment, and if they cancel at the last minute, they lose their deposit.

If she hadn't turned up and not paid she would have lost her deposit...due to last min cancellations and no shows I have started to charge a small £5 deposit for any treatments over £30....so that would have been it....I used to do the 50% of treatment cost for now shows but recuperating that wasn't worth the hassle

I am still waiting to hear back from her but the bottom line is I will have scheduled out 4 1/2 hrs in total for 2 1/4 hrs work by the time she comes back. Still not sure how to proceed but I defo need to get this clear for now onwards :) thanks ladies

I completely understand you're at a loss but if your usual procedure is to take a deposit then in this instance I'd say you need to do the same, I don't agree that you should take advantage of having that money in full if you'd otherwise have gone without from any other booking x

I completely understand you're at a loss but if your usual procedure is to take a deposit then in this instance I'd say you need to do the same, I don't agree that you should take advantage of having that money in full if you'd otherwise have gone without from any other booking x

Well I will have to see what she says when she responds, I already left her a message at closing time Sat and asked her time/date for rescheduling.... so I never had any intention of taking advantage by not offering an alternative date and her losing her money....this sitch has just made me think what to do for future, funny how there's been 2 in one week!

What I am aware of (through my own and other therapists experiences) is that in our trade SOME people think they can do x, y and z that they wouldn't dream of doing anywhere else that they shop and I am always keen to nip that in the bud

Thanks for your input ladies XX

People just like to take the pee out of us like we do our job for fun! Hope you get sorted xx

Latest posts

Back